How do I get the "Verizon Wireless" before calls off the phone?

jvanwinkle

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I have searched the site and can't find an answer.

My phone says "Verizon Wireless" every time there is an incoming call, or when I make a call.

I don't want to hear that. I know I am on verizon, I just want to hear my ringtone, and make my call without hearing that.

How do I get rid of this?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Is it saying "Verizon Wireless" + playing your ringtone? The only setting I can think of that would do something like that is Sound & Display Settings > Call connect. However it onely applies to outgoing calls, and the default sound is not "Verizon Wireless". The other setting is in Call Settings > Caller ID Readout. However, that setting should only apply to incoming calls. Which begs the question, do you have any 3rd party apps installed that could be causing this?

jvanwinkle

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
No app. There is an announcement before every call that says "Verizon Wireless" then my ringtone plays. Then when I make a call the same announcement is made when I hit send.

I can't figgure out how to get rid of it, and it has been on there from the minute I bought the phone.

I never had any phone do this before either.

I'm stumped.

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
This one really doesn't make sense. There aren't any settings, that I can find or think of, that would cause it to do this. I'm not sure where you bought your phone, but was it definitely a brand new, and never turned on before? I've played with this phone extensively and have never seen any setting that would do that. That said, I would probably do a hard reset, and try again. Out of curiosity, what does it say for "System Information" in the settings > about screen?

jvanwinkle

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yep, definately brand new, out of the box, put the battery in new. I set it up myself in the store.

I like you thought it was my "play sound when call is connected" setting, but it hasn't stopped since I unchecked it.

I may try a hard reset and go from there. Hate to lose everything and start over again but that is getting on my nerves LOL.

heathro1281

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Could you have a 'beta' phone or something the developers used? They may had the ringtones locked like that for advertising or morale. Thats my only out of left field speculation BS answer I can give :cool:

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
menu>settings>sound and display> (turn off ) ROAMING TONE!
Enjoy your new phone and have a nice day

This is the answer! I've found you have to be very careful what you allow/don't allow in all the options available on an X. It's easy to activate something that takes "forever" to find again to deactivate. Am getting lots of practice with that.

jvanwinkle

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. That was it exactly.

Love my phone, had it since launch day but that was getting on my nerves. You guys kept me from doing a factory reset.

silentnoobxd

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Soooo... I have this problem, but on my Droid X, the option is checked and grayed out.

A few of my colleagues have already dropped Verizon over this. I like the phone and all, but the announcement during meetings is unprofessional. I get complaints about it constantly.

Rob Short

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
This still seems to be the default setting - new Droid Razr Maxx HD purchased in April 2013 has the same default behavior. Unticking the "Roaming" box as noted above does appear to turn it off. Thanks!

OMAR JO-REL

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Ok i had the same problem and i have the answer to you.....

1- go to settings
2- go to sound
3- go to sound effects
4- uncheck the sound when roaming

now call your phone , or turn on or off verizon wireless will not talk again