Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Default Droid x dials numbers randomly, creates shortcuts on desktop?

hi guys,
    new to the droid..

posted before..need to know if my device is defective or not..

Im noticing the following and a vzw tech rep mentioned that this stuff isnt normal..
    1. randomly dials numbers..
    2. I noticed shortcuts on the desktop that I didnt put there..
    3. random apps open..like calender and call log (dialer)

I also noticed that the phone has a few seconds of lag when I attempt to text someone..
    the last thing is that it still inserte periods randomly in sentences while texting and or emailing.that.kind.of.look.like.that?

is my device defective?

I deleted the app I thought was causing this, but its still doing it.
    the apps I downloaded are google approved..not sure..

any suggestions?

thanks very much
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

None of that sounds normal. I would do a hard reset, and start fresh.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

does it sound like a glitch in the software somewhere?
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pnico View Post
    1. randomly dials numbers..
    2. I noticed shortcuts on the desktop that I didnt put there..
    3. random apps open..like calender and call log (dialer)
    It sounds possessed to me. Either you have a 3rd party app wrecking havoc on your phone or something is really wrong with it. Does it constantly do this? Is there any pattern to it? Has it done this since you bought it? I can't say anyone else has reported anything like this, so it sounds like your phone is defective. If there are no 3rd party apps and this has been going on for since day 1, I would take it back and exchange it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

cory, I have a few apps loaded on it..they are the following
    1. min basketball
    2. anytime pool
    3. bacbreaker football
    4. fifa soccer.
    5. sleep time
    6. yelp
    7. wings of fury? the WWI flight sim
    they were all google approved apparently..

I read the reviews before buying any of these and previous users said the app /game worked well..
    I have the option in my phone set to not allow non google approved sw to be loaded..

I have not done a hard reset..but why all of a sudden would the phone lag when i attempt to text?

the first day or so it was fine.. it isnt as bad as my first droid..that one was really going nuts on me..
    I am well within my 30 day return policy with best buy so I can always get a brand new one..

my concern is with the apps..I dont just download anything..its weird..

I love the os and the phone..no doubt but when my dad called and asked whats up..I didnt know what the hell he was referring to..he said I called him..and on his tour it shows that I did and my phone did dial him??
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

All of those apps seem innocent to me (thanks for listing sleepy time btw - I'll have to check it out). If your phone is acting that strange, I would just exchange it. If it were me, I would try a hard reset first though.
    Androidoholic

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

Try taking off the game apps and running it without those and see what happens. I've noticed (and it might just be me and other friends) but some game apps seem to mess with the phone a bit. Happened on the D1 as well
    Last edited by 1088933; 07-29-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

My.question is that if its.one of.those apps causing.the.phone to.be.screwy what.good ia it to download them?
    i feel.as.id.anytime.i.download an app it can.blow the phone.away.seems.to.defeat the purpose,
    No problem.about sleepy time...,works nice

Quote Originally Posted by pnico View Post
    My.question is that if its.one of.those apps causing.the.phone to.be.screwy what.good ia it to download them?
    i feel.as.id.anytime.i.download an app it can.blow the phone.away.seems.to.defeat the purpose,
    No problem.about sleepy time...,works nice
    Hard to decipher that, but its the point that not every app written is going to run perfectly as well. Ever have an application blow up a windows PC? I know I have. Its a side affect of use a flexible environment with developmental freedom. Not every App is going to work as well as you hoped.

When I think Android I see a true usable Windows like experience. Which I guess makes it more of super tool that has phone abilities then anything else.

On the other hand if you are worried that an application might negatively impact your user or phone experience I would suggest something a little bit more locked down. Iphone comes to mind but that isn't even perfect. Maybe a feature phone like a Chocolate or EnV.

I think people are underestimating the sensitivity of the screen. When I pick mine up, no matter how careful I am, I open some app or widget.

my phone sent a picture i took to facebook. I know i am over 50 but I do not(did not)
    remember sending it at all. I sent it to my daughter and brother and neither could have sent it to my account. On facebook it even says under the picture -sent by Droid. I did not know till I got a comment reply about it.

Just a note, picasa is my photo upload of choice.

Default Re: Droid x dials numbers randomly, creates shortcuts on desktop?

My droid x is doing the exact same thing. Ramdomly tying and dialing and 3 of my screens are taken up by shortcuts to apps ive never seen let alone downloaded and added to my home screen. Im wayy past my first 30 days but its been doin it for a while.

Sbf the phone after you do a backup and see if that fixes it. If it does you know it's a software problem and you can begin troubleshooting from there. Is the phone rooted? What system number are you on?

Global Posts
    1,465 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth JB Beta 2

Just a shot in the dark since I am a G+ user and I always make sure this option is OFF

auto upload.
    Yea, I'm still rockin' a Gnex. The signal strength/quality sucks, but hey, it's not two years old yet.