Applications Settings - Running Services

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
So from time to time, I check the Running Services under Applications in Settings, just to make sure there is nothing unrecognized and to turn off Skype.

Tonight, when I click Running Services, nothing happens. The X returns to the Applications Settings menu. Any thoughts?

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I do the same thing a few times during the day. They just come back and I have to 'force stop' them all the time. It's a never ending battle, I know, but I'm kinda OCD about it.

But to answer your question, that hasn't happened to me ever (yet) so I hate to say this since I was so used to saying it over at CrackBerry but did you try a reset (power cycle)?

That's all I can think of. I have any ideas of what could have caused it but I'd be willing to bet a power cycle would fix it for you. Have you installed any 3rd party applications recently? Like a task killer or anything?

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I do the same thing a few times during the day. They just come back and I have to 'force stop' them all the time. It's a never ending battle, I know, but I'm kinda OCD about it.

But to answer your question, that hasn't happened to me ever (yet) so I hate to say this since I was so used to saying it over at CrackBerry but did you try a reset (power cycle)?

That's all I can think of. I have any ideas of what could have caused it but I'd be willing to bet a power cycle would fix it for you. Have you installed any 3rd party applications recently? Like a task killer or anything?

After I made the post I decided to do a power cycle. Then I saw flashbacks of Windows NT/ME/2000 and visions of a couple of co-workers stomping their Blackberries.

Power cycle did work.

I hope this does not become routine.

I don't know why Skype keeps popping up. I want to keep it around as I have some friends in other parts of the globe and Skype is handy to keep in touch. But this constant background running, though not really noticeable, is a little rock in my shoe.

No new third party apps. I removed ATK when I realized exactly what's on with the memory in the phone. I did install a theme today for ADW Launcher, but I don't see how that would do it. Plus one of the big Android blogs recommended it as theme.

Last edited:

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
After I made the post I decided to do a power cycle. Then I saw flashbacks of Windows NT/ME/2000 and visions of a couple of co-workers stomping their Blackberries.

Power cycle did work.

I hope this does not become routine.

I don't know why Skype keeps popping up. I want to keep it around as I have some friends in other parts of the globe and Skype is handy to keep in touch. But this constant background running, though not really noticeable, is a little rock in my shoe.

I hear ya there. I have the same issue with Skype and I've never even opened the application. I'm sure it's not taking up too much memory or CPU use at all but it just irks me that I know it's there and running. Just some good ol' bloatware.

No new third party apps. I removed ATK when I realized exactly what's on with the memory in the phone. I did install a theme today for ADW Launcher, but I don't see how that would do it. Plus one of the big Android blogs recommended it as theme.

I also doubt that this could have caused any problems.

Last edited:

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I hear ya there. I have the same issue with Skype and I've never even opened the application. I'm sure it's not taking up too much memory or CPU use at all but it just irks me that I know it's there and running. Just some good ol' bloatware.

Same here. I can deal with bloatware sitting on my phone since it is so easy to put out of sight. But if you're going to put it on MY phone, and lock it on MY phone, for the love of Uncle Steve do not have it open and idle every time I boot my phone.

I'll wait for Froyo, then root, then systematically remove the bloatware like you would any kind of termite or roach.