Droid X discharges faster than it charges while using Navigation n the car dock.

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered the recommended charger from amazon with 2 day shipping. I should get it in time for my trip back. I wil test this new charger on the way back. Hopefully, I get some good results and I can use the nav on the while drive!

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious how you know the usb car chargers only put out 500mA? For reference this is the one I have. I know for a fact iPads won't charge with only 500mA and mine works as expected.

I'll try nav today and see what happens.

iPad, iPhone & iPod Accessories Power reVIVE II - Dual USB Car Charger for iPad

i don't think it's a function of the charger...i have a usb charger rated at 1000mA.

i think what he's saying is that the X draws just 500mA when it thinks it is on a USB port.

impostor71

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully, this is a software issue and can be fixed thru an update. I don't want to have to get new accessories to get this working.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
i don't think it's a function of the charger...i have a usb charger rated at 1000mA.

i think what he's saying is that the X draws just 500mA when it thinks it is on a USB port.

Correct. The phone is doing what it should be doing, when it thinks it see's a USB host. I actually hacked a Belkin USB car charger by soldering the 2 data pins together, and after that the phone saw it as a regular charger. I do not recommend going down this path though. I pretty much destroyed the chargers casing in the process of splitting it open.

can you take a picture of the bottom side of the charger where all the numbers are? i cant find any info online-

The Moto charger? It's rated at 1,000 mAh out. It's in my car. If you really want a pic, I can run down and grab it.

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Question for you on the verizon dual charger. Only1 port is a usb port. The other part of the charger I'd direct wired and not usb. This charger should work, but it doesn't.
On a side note, verizon tech support said that the battery issues with the dx wil be taken care of via a software fix from moto (froyo). Hmmmmm.....

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I just found this gem, submitted by Icebike, in the User Comments area of the Android Central review of the Smartphone Experts Micro-USB Car Charger w/USB Port for Droid X.
--------------------------------------
Using a regular data cable you can get 1 amp (full charger output) IF (and only if) the charger itself shorts the two data pins together.

An app like Battery Left ( Battery Left Widget - Android app on AppBrain ) can tell you if you are charging at USB rate or AC rate. (Some phones provide this by dialing *#*#4636#*#* )

At usb rate the phone will never pull more than .5amp to be a good USB neighbor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just installed the Battery Left App he recommended to confirm how the DX is seeing my nondescript USB car charger. Using the USB cable provided with the DX, the DX indicates AC, not USB. I had the same results using the AC charger shipped with the DX, so I question the assumption that USB style chargers are inherently limited to 500 ma. Also, the charger provided by Motorola is rated at 850 ma., and I have some reservations about the notion that more amperage is necessary, or desirable.

I have that charger coming tomorrow from the Android Central Accessories Store, and I'm eager to see what, if any, specs are included on it, or with it. I haven't been able to find any actual spec data so far. It appears to me that this is the same auto charger sold by Verizon for $30.

Last edited:

badchevy

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Correct. The phone is doing what it should be doing, when it thinks it see's a USB host. I actually hacked a Belkin USB car charger by soldering the 2 data pins together, and after that the phone saw it as a regular charger. I do not recommend going down this path though. I pretty much destroyed the chargers casing in the process of splitting it open.

The Moto charger? It's rated at 1,000 mAh out. It's in my car. If you really want a pic, I can run down and grab it.

Sorry this may be a stupid question but I am trying to get a better understanding here so I don't run into this problem, if it thinks it see's a USB host it will give you a notification that USB is hooked up as opposed to the battery just showing charging?

Answered my own question I use the Griffin dual usb charger which outpus 5v at 1A per usb output and I double checked it with the Battery left widget, when plugged up to the car charger with my stock usb cable it says charging: a/c outlet. It is on sale online and Best Buy stores match bb.com price.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...D%3D10474050%26skuId%3D8965284&token=9H50bKVj

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
when u get a chance :p

I was 50mAh off. It's actually 950. Here's a picture:

IMG_0593.jpg

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Answered my own question I use the Griffin dual usb charger which outpus 5v at 1A per usb output and I double checked it with the Battery left widget, when plugged up to the car charger with my stock usb cable it says charging: a/c outlet.

Does it say the same thing when you go to settings > status > battery status?

Edit: There appears to be some conflicting information in the reviews for the Griffin charger. Here's one that says it couldn't keep their Incredible charged while using Navigation. Here's another that said it could. :confused:

Last edited:

JimmyMac

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I made several (4 to be exact) 2.5 hour trips yesterday using a cheap usb/cig charger from Monoprice (under $2 I think for 1000mah). Anyways, no issues using my DX with Nav on the car dock (while also playing music). I used this same charger on my DI and it was listed as AC charging (instead of USB charging like some USB chargers do).

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It must be dependent on whether the charger has those data pins or not.

BTW: I'm no electrical genius. I got all my information from this thread a while back, in my quest to figure out why none of my USB car chargers were capable of charging my phone at the same time I was using Nav. I learned a lot from that thread, and ended up doing the hack on page 6. Then, at someone else's advice, I went for the Moto charger I mentioned earlier and have never had an issue since. So based on all that info, I concluded that car USB chargers were something to avoid.

badchevy

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I can say I have learned a thing or two today, I have not had any long road trips lately but I am glad to know I should not have any problems now.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I used my X all day today and drained the battery to 0. When I got in the car, I had to wait until it charged to 10% for the phone to turn on. I'm using an old BB charger that outputs 500ma. As soon as the phone booted, I paired BlueTooth to my radio, started Iheartradio, and started GPS nav directions. I was in the car and using the Battery Left app, my battery stayed at 10% for over an hour on the drive home. No vent mount. Just propped up on the dash.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I used my X all day today and drained the battery to 0. When I got in the car, I had to wait until it charged to 10% for the phone to turn on. I'm using an old BB charger that outputs 500ma. As soon as the phone booted, I paired BlueTooth to my radio, started Iheartradio, and started GPS nav directions. I was in the car and using the Battery Left app, my battery stayed at 10% for over an hour on the drive home. No vent mount. Just propped up on the dash.

Did you forget to turn on the X laser missile destructo weapon & coffee maker apps? No kidding, you just about dragged as much juice as one could consider reasonable and still it held its own, even with a low amperage charger. Interesting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan