Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GPS tracking on Droid X

Has anyone had problems with the GPS on the Droid X. Mine takes about 5 minutes to lock onto the signal and even then I haven't seen it better then 10m accuracy. I use My Tracks all the time to record my Bike rides but my Droid X seems to loose signal on about every ride I do corrupting the data.

Yesterday i did a 40 mile bike ride and within the first 10 miles it thought I went 243 Mph so I started it over again at my first stop. Then in the next 10 miles it thought I went 61 Mph so I started it over again. Miles 20-30 actually didn't have many problems except for one section where it plotted me about 2 blocks off the trail. Then on Miles 30-40 it thought I did 182 Mph. This trail is very shaded but I've done the same ride multiple times before with my Nokia n78 and didn't have any problems like that. I also had a Droid Incredible before exchanging it for the Droid X and the Incredible seemed to have amazing accuracy on GPS.

I was just wondering if anyone else has seen problems like that or if I have a defective Droid X?

Except for it taking a while to get a lock at times I haven't had any issues with accuracy and I use mine quite often.

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Mine takes a little longer than my blackberry to lock on but it's accurate to 2 meters.usually puts me in peoples front yard instead of sidewalk. Do you have a lot of trees where you bike?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

There was lots of trees where I was riding yesterday but like I said I've done it before with other GPS that haven't gone crazy. My Nokia n78 would sometimes give me bogus numbers like that but it was normally because I didn't give it enough time to lock on at the start but after that it would stay locked. I just have never seen this many problems with gps and it's really frustrating since I use it 2 or 3 times a week for this.

Right now I'm just debating if I should try to exchange it for another one or just live with it.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

no problem using 'my tracks' app regularly for rides. maybe 6-8 times, 60-100mi, always complete & accurate (as compared w/wireless cyclocomputer).
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

How long does yours take to lock on dookie?

The 6-8 rides at 60-100 miles seems like a really good sample set to compare too. Was any of that in trees or overcast? Thanks for the reply.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

If you go into location and security settings, do you have all 3 GPS options enabled? If not, I would turn them on.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Streater View Post
    If you go into location and security settings, do you have all 3 GPS options enabled? If not, I would turn them on.
    Yea I have all 3 GPS settings turned on. That's actually one of my complaints about this phone. The GPS widget turns off all 3 but only turns the GPS satellites back on. I found a new widget that just takes me to GPS settings instead of the stock GPS widget.

I also tried playing with the Battery Profile settings since I normally run on Smart Mode and put it on Performance Mode and that is when I got the 182 Mph. I'm not sure if that actually does anything to the GPS since it only talks about data but I figured it was worth a try. All the settings in My Tracks are on the recommended settings too.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Default Re: GPS tracking on Droid X

Pardon my ignorance of it's full function, but perhaps a "Calibrate compass" would help? (below those 3 GPS settings)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

That's really weird. Mine works perfectly (which I know doesn't make you feel any better). Assuming you are not using a task killer/manager or any 3rd party app that could be interfering, you might consider an exchange.

Mine works great and usually locks on within 5 seconds, even if I'm inside my house. I also find that it's usually accurate to within 6 or 7 meters. Much better performance than the GPS on my BB Tour.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Default Re: GPS tracking on Droid X

I have this issue after the first time using after rooting. I just back out then turn off the gps then on again. Works quickly after that with no issues.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman0803 View Post
    Mine works great and usually locks on within 5 seconds, even if I'm inside my house. I also find that it's usually accurate to within 6 or 7 meters. Much better performance than the GPS on my BB Tour.
    That's exactly the way I would have described GPS working on the Droid Incredible, but this Droid X is far from that experience.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Maybe I'll try a Factory reset and if that doesn't do anything I'll exchange it.

I have an Edge 500 so I've yet to try this. I think I will this week.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
    How long does yours take to lock on dookie?

The 6-8 rides at 60-100 miles seems like a really good sample set to compare too. Was any of that in trees or overcast? Thanks for the reply.
    15sec, tops...usually almost instant. routes are sometimes heavily treed, but not always. the sky is always visible, but rarely unobscured.
    Last edited by dookie; 08-02-2010 at 10:13 PM.

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman0803 View Post
    +1
    I had a bold 9700 and my X is a much better GPS experience!
    And depending on the area of the house, I'm between 5 and 10 seconds to get GPS lock.
    Very accurate EVEN in house. I can pretty much tell which room I'm in when looking at the satellite layer.

I wonder if the VZ Navigator app has that problem.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

I finally found the time to do a factory reset and it looks like that fixed my GPS problem. It now locking onto the satellites within about 15 seconds while sitting inside my house, when before it took about 5 minutes in the open sky. I'll still have to go for a bike ride to check the accuracy but it looks like it's fixed. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Lately I've noticed that my DX is having trouble locking onto my GPS signal. Google Maps takes forever to locate me, and Foursquare keeps saying that I'm not where I say I am.

I've heard that task killers can make a phone act "strange," and I do have ATK installed, but I only kill apps manually and I've unchecked 4sq and maps.

I got GPS Test from the market, and it shows a decent level of accuracy... And when the GPS works, it works like a dream. But I feel like it's been having a harder and harder time lately.

Mine doesn't work if WIFI is turned off. It's pretty stupid but after a full day of not being able to lock on and not being able to figure out why turning wifi on "fixed" it.

EDIT: Mine locks on instantly, there's no delay whatsoever inside my house. I open maps and bam i'm locked on... only if WIFI is ON though.... which is very weird.

I've played around with the GPS locally and never had an issue with it.
    but this weekend I traveled to new york / new jersey area (10-12 hour trip) and used it extensively on the way here and have used it around town.
    I have been extremely annoyed with it.
    It has FC many many time. It has locked up several times, it has lost the GPS signal many times and has given wrong directions and has performed to slowly to give accurate directions.

it worked pretty good on the highways here. but once in the towns here, it started to fall apart on me.
    I took the wife out for dinner last night and as we were driving through a city in jersey, it would say turn on a street AFTER we had passed it. and then you have to wait for it to recalculate.

the worst is when we leave the hotel, I'm sitting in the parking lot with no obstructions, it would say "your location is temporarily unavailable".
    several times I've had to power fail the phone to get it to work correctly.
    not a good thing when you are driving around and don't know where you are going and your gps craps out on you..

very displeased with the GPS/google nav on this trip.

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts

I use it daily without issue and it works even better than my Garmin units. I say better mainly due to the instant traffic updates. If it weren't for the traffic updates, I'd say it was equal to my Garmins.

As far as "accurate directions", the unit always gives what it thinks is the best route to your destination. You might not always agree, but it will get you there. For example, I don't agree with the route it gives for me to get home from work, but you can choose alternate routes on the same screen as you can see the traffic. Just click the time and there's a square looking icon that you can press to choose different routes.

I do wish it allowed you to set more preferences in route determination.

So, Cory... Do you use a task killer or just let the x do it's factory job?
    Thanks in Advance
    MacGyver Wannabe

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by dvader View Post
    I've played around with the GPS locally and never had an issue with it.
    but this weekend I traveled to new york / new jersey area (10-12 hour trip) and used it extensively on the way here and have used it around town.
    I have been extremely annoyed with it.
    It has FC many many time. It has locked up several times, it has lost the GPS signal many times and has given wrong directions and has performed to slowly to give accurate directions.

it worked pretty good on the highways here. but once in the towns here, it started to fall apart on me.
    I took the wife out for dinner last night and as we were driving trough a city in jersey, it would say turn on a street AFTER we had passed it. and then you have to wait for it to recalculate.

the worst is when we leave the hotel, I'm sitting in the parking lot with no obstructions, it would say "your location is temporarily unavailable".
    several times I've had to power fail the phone to get it to work correctly.
    not a good thing when you are driving around and don't know where you are going and your gps craps out on you..

very displeased with the GPS/google nav on this trip.

I've had similar troubles; when the app works it's excellent. The problem is the app rarely works.

I've used Maps with nav the last two weeks for business travel. It has frozen two or three times. It has "lost focus", either going into phone standby (screen off) or dumping me back to the six-button car dock screen, too many times to count. Lately it dumps me back to the car dock screen in about five minutes, but it has happened in as little as 30 seconds. If I check the notification bar, I can touch the nav to resume.

It has only worked perfectly for me two or three times.

If you get a notification, the app will lose focus in one of the two ways I mentioned. If you clear it from the notification bar, it still may lose focus.

Huge disappointment so far. Nav needs A LOT of work.

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

Are you in battery saver mode? That might be turning off your GPS connection after a half hour in standby.