The X and my childs daycare webcam

SouthernSaltine

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok so my childs daycare has live webcams so I can log into and watch him. I was able to log on and watch on my old bb storm. For some reason I can't see any video feed on my X. They'd feed is streamed via your choice of (i think quicktime mpeg4 or jpeg video stream) does my X lack this capability all together...i hope I can get this to work.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Android's built-in browser does not support streaming video.

Dolphin HD (available in the Market) has said they are developing support for SV. Skyfire Browser (also in market) Beta might support SV.

There are also several streaming video apps in the market, but they all get terrible reviews.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Damn! Do you or Anyone know if 2.2 will have SV capability? I can't believe the bb browser was actually good for something! Lol.

Not a clue. It does seem a little odd that it (the default browser) doesn't.

As far as Dolphin, I'm pretty sure it doesn't support it yet. The developer of Dolphin said a few months ago that they were working on it for a future update. That said, if you search for Dolphin in the market, under the description it currently says "Major update coming in the next 2 weeks." So maybe it's about to be implemented. You can read about some of the features Dolphin offers here.

Skyfire is your most likely option - although I haven't tried it personally.

SouthernSaltine

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Not a clue. It does seem a little odd that it (the default browser) doesn't.

As far as Dolphin, I'm pretty sure it doesn't support it yet. The developer of Dolphin said a few months ago that they were working on it for a future update. That said, if you search for Dolphin in the market, under the description it currently says "Major update coming in the next 2 weeks." So maybe it's about to be implemented. You can read about some of the features Dolphin offers here.

Skyfire is your most likely option - although I haven't tried it personally.

Thanks Cory. I tried both and neither worked :-( Guess ill have to wait and see it 2.2 helps out. I just cant believe the BB would do this and my Awesome new Droid wont.. Hope for an update soon....

mylex

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Try the opera mini browser in the market place. I am using that for when I need to check the video feeds for work. I dont remember having problems with the default, hope you are able to get this issue resolved.

dvader

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
youtube streams fine. so i think it's just a matter of getting the right app to do it.. i'm surprised it's not in the browser.. perhaps froyo will bring that

SouthernSaltine

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Try the opera mini browser in the market place. I am using that for when I need to check the video feeds for work. I dont remember having problems with the default, hope you are able to get this issue resolved.

I forgot about opera.. Downloading now. Hope that works..EDIT:::: NOPE didnt work. Bummer

There are some apps (search 'webcam') on the Market that can allow watching live webcams.
I saw the webcam apps, i just dont have access to all the info on cameras server types, model #s etc.. needed for those type of apps..

youtube streams fine. so i think it's just a matter of getting the right app to do it.. i'm surprised it's not in the browser.. perhaps froyo will bring that
yes my bb all i had to do was go to the daycare website click cameras login and BAMM!! I cant believe the X doesnt work..

Last edited:

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe you're having problems either...there's nothing on the web that should work on a BB and not on your X. Could there be some step you're forgetting when you sign in now?

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm using an app called Tiny DVR which works fine for my Dlink cameras. Not really video, more like framegrabs, but does the Job. If you log into the daycare webcam page on your PC it should say who makes the camera there in the upper corner or bottom of the page most likely. Doubt you need the model number, just the manufacturer.

If you need help, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez