Need Help defective Droid X

Ytown

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Here's the situation,

I bought a mint condition Droid X off Craigslist. I paid a fair price and the phone worked great for 2 weeks until I installed OTA update. The next time I went to use the camera all you see is the camera controls and a black screen. It seems like the shutter is stuck. This happens also when trying to use the camcorder. The phone works fine other than this.

I have tried a factory data reset, formatting SD card, and every other thing I can find in forums.

The problem I face is Verizon and Motorola will do nothing because I was not the "first purchaser". Any ideas? Would rooting the phone make a difference? Am I just Fu**ed:(

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That seems strange that it was working just fine until the OTA update. I would recommend trying a 3rd party camera application just to see if it's the stock camera app or it's an actual hardware issue. Let me know how that goes and I'll keep trying to think.

Ytown

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I tried a 3rd party app and it still does it. I can only find one other post on the net with the same problem. I don't know, maybe the OTA was a coincident.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow, so after reading through the thread that latexyankee posted, it's a little unsettling. Some users reported a fix by doing a factory reset (which didn't work for you) and others said that a SD card reformat worked for them (which also didn't work for you). There were even some in there that said the update FIXED the problem and the update CAUSED your problem. Some people said that it just started working on it's own and one even said he/she applied blunt force trauma to the camera and it started working.

It also wasn't good to hear that tech support said the only fix was a replacement.

henry740#AC

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
;)go to a verizon store and have them do an exchange. If they ask you were di dyou purchase it from, tell them it was from another verizon store. They should be able to switch it for another one since its still under MFG warranty. I did this when i had my storm. Bought it off someone from craigslist, then acted up on me few weeks later, took it to the verizon store and gave them that story. Worked for me and got a replacement because it was under warranty.

Ytown

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I will try a different Verizon store, the first one told me the warranty is tied to the original owner's account.

Guy selling on Craigslist seemed decent(famous last words) said he preordered 2 for him and his girlfriend and she didn't like it(too big) and went back to her old phone. I really couldn't find a flaw on the phone till this happened. Probably took 30 pictures, no problem. Update then BAM.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I will try a different Verizon store, the first one told me the warranty is tied to the original owner's account.

Guy selling on Craigslist seemed decent(famous last words) said he preordered 2 for him and his girlfriend and she didn't like it(too big) and went back to her old phone. I really couldn't find a flaw on the phone till this happened. Probably took 30 pictures, no problem. Update then BAM.

Perhaps contact him again and see if he can get a replacement, then give that to you? It's extra work for him and more time out for you, but if he's willing, perhaps there is a way...

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

i doubt another store will help you...there's a good chance he noted the account about it not being originally purchased through VZW

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12