1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Alarm / Timer - No Sound

Hi all.

My totally stock 2.1 (update 1) DX no longer has any sound associated with the stock alarm / timer app. The screen shows the alarm going off, but no sound comes out- and this is happening for both the alarm and timer functions. I've seen a bunch of posts on various other sites about this, but failed to find anything as to a solution. I have no task killer, and all of my various volumes are turned way up.

When I first got the phone, the alarm worked fine for a couple of days... at this point I'm starting to wonder if it might be an app interference issue of some kind since it was working initially. Either that or maybe the OTA update somehow killed it...? But that doesn't seem to make sense as the update had nothing to do with the alarm / timer.

Again, this is stock 2.1, update 1. My installed apps are

Adobe reader
    AK Notepad
    Swiftkey
    Doubletwist
    Droidlight
    Facebook
    GGoggles
    GSky
    gStrings
    HistoryEraser
    Kindle (grrr.)
    Maps
    My Verizon Mobile
    NFL Mobile
    NFS Shift
    Speed Test
    RoboDefense Free
    Shazam
    Shopper
    Skyscape
    Smart Measure
    Solitaire
    Traffic Jam
    Trap!

...none of which should interfere with the alarm / timer- right? Is anyone else having this issue? If you don't think you are, yet are reading this thread... try out your alarm. Let me know what you find.

Thanks.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Okay:

So as a test to see whether it was hardware or software (or, uh, idiotware = me), I just did a factory wipe of the phone, and the alarm now works. I'm not sure what this means exactly, but I'm going to re-install each of these apps one at a time over the course of days and see if I can replicate the problem.

More to come...?

Were you using a app killer at all? Make sureu uncheck or exclude it. just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by rjdangerous View Post
    Were you using a app killer at all? Make sureu uncheck or exclude it. just a thought
    If it was a task killer, the alarm animation wouldn't even pop up. Nothing would happen. A task killer shouldn't simply mute the alarm.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Update...

Here's the stuff I had installed before the wipe, and the stuff I have since REinstalled without a problem so far is bolded... just FYI.

Adobe reader
    AK Notepad
    Swiftkey
    Doubletwist
    Droidlight
    Facebook
    GGoggles

GSky
    gStrings
    HistoryEraser
    Kindle (grrr, again)
    Maps
    My Verizon Mobile

NFL Mobile
    NFS Shift
    Speed Test
    RoboDefense Free
    Shazam
    Shopper
    Skyscape
    Smart Measure
    Solitaire
    Traffic Jam
    Trap!

We'll see what happens... by the way, if anyone has a wise word about a nice looking / working app (uh, preferably free, but whatever) that lets me save stuff (apps, settings, bookmarks, etc) to my SD card, I'd certainly be obliged. This was sort of a PITA.

I had the same prob witht the alarm sound/ my sound works fine for everything else. Went into verizon store guy said its a software glitch which should be fix on the next update, in the mean time I installed the app called Alarmclock and works great its free
    Thanked by:

I also had this same problem and I have only loaded some basic apps on.

I just went and found the following app - Alarm Klock. It is really nice and actually gives you more options for alarm sounds. It is very similar to the stock 2.1 one, in that it allows you to set multiple ones, with different repeat options.
    Thanked by: