1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Switching from Droid X to BB Torch... yea right!!!

What a joke with RIM's new release of the Palm Pre. This "Torch" has burned out before it even hits the shelves. RIM should be thankful that they have a foot hold in the Business/Corporate side or this could be a huge financial disaster. RIM entered a turtle into a rabbit race.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Betting this thread will be deleted, but I totally agree. How can they expect to compete against todays phones with that?

Default Torch

I would bet the Torch does well with the BB faithful. RIM is trying, but it's too little too late. Their only glimmer of hope now is the brand new touch screen OS that they are building for the S3. If they skimp on hardware with that one, they are finished in the consumer market.
    People say, it's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean that counts.

But you can't get to China in a canoe.....

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Default Re: Switching from Droid X to BB Torch... yea right!!!

Wow I feel really sorry for the loyalists. RIM is getting beat up in the media for it, too. Some people will always be with bb, and of course businesses love the control and security...but I think a lot of regular consumers are going to jump ship. I have a soft spot for bb, but the wait for the 9800 feels like a big letdown. I actually thought it might be a game changer...
    Glad I went x!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    6,684 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

They even got Antennagate for BB's but it cost 5 bucks a pop . I wonder How many they sell , lol

Default Re: Switching from Droid X to BB Torch... yea right!!!

The Torch would be a serious contender if it weren't so underpowered. BB6 would actually have a lot to offer consumers who want a sweet spot between the walled garden of iOS and the techie learning curve of Android. But it needs the internal hardware to back it up, and the Torch doesn't look to be that phone.

RIM doesn't have to many more chances at that market either I'm afraid; as Gingerbread will add a more polished UI, and I don't imagine iOS will stand still for too long either.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Good article about RIM and Torch. I have often wondered if RIM ever thought about using Android OS and somehow port their best and essential technology over and still be compatible with BES/BIS.

Look what Android has done for Motorola... it basically saved the company IMO. RIM's issues are far more reaching as they are a hardware and software company.

Either way... RIM has to do something. They are beginning to lose the consumer market, and as Apple and Android improve their corporate capabilities RIM will lose that market share as well. IMO

Even the already-released Bold 9650 is better than RIM's new "flagship" BB.(At least the 9650 will get OpenGL).I agree with what kilofox said about Android saving Motorola. I wonder if Nokia would ever consider switching their smartphones' OS from S60 and Maemo to Android?
    Last edited by experiment626; 08-04-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi Invasion

tsk tsk RIM...
    Samsung Galaxy S3 | Jedi Invasion |

i finally made the jump from Rim this week (still waiting for my X to arrive). I was blindly following Rim and not even looking at the other phones on the market. I was blown away by the phones out there and I would say Rim is 2-3 years behind the other phones.

Agreed with pretty much everyone else here.

They do have a a couple of positives on their side that nobody else offers (BES/BIS, BBM, true push e-mail, etc), but everything else they've done is just lacking. Plus the specs for the Torch are so underwhelming when everyone else is sporting 1 GHz processors or better.
    Moto X (Olive Green, Black front, Orange accents (Dec. 2013)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Dec. 2011) - Droid X (July 2010) - Blackberry Tour 9630 (July 2009) - Dumbphones (pre-July 2009)

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonOak View Post
    Agreed with pretty much everyone else here.

They do have a a couple of positives on their side that nobody else offers (BES/BIS, BBM, true push e-mail, etc), but everything else they've done is just lacking. Plus the specs for the Torch are so underwhelming when everyone else is sporting 1 GHz processors or better.
    Their positives aren't as appealing anymore...Sorry, but I can wait an extra 2 minutes for an email. gtalk = bbm

Quote Originally Posted by Boomh4u3r View Post
    Their positives aren't as appealing anymore...Sorry, but I can wait an extra 2 minutes for an email. gtalk = bbm
    A few of my BB friends and I jumped to the DX and I have to say that BBM is still far superior. Gtalk is good but not good enough to be like BBM. It certainly has the potential and Google has the resources to. The biggest thing for us was to have a Group where we could share a continuous chat, pictures, events, etc. Gtalk doesn't have that.....yet......
    Moto X (Olive Green, Black front, Orange accents (Dec. 2013)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Dec. 2011) - Droid X (July 2010) - Blackberry Tour 9630 (July 2009) - Dumbphones (pre-July 2009)

I think the software looks promising it's just the hardware that's holding it back.

Ironic...the problem was the opposite for the Storm line of BB phones.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

Not everyone needs or wants the power and processing that our big screen phones give (Im an Evo owner) us. I hope other people can see the bias here, this is an android forum anyway. BB loyalists are going to love this thing and its going to do everything they are use to and more.

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonOak View Post
    A few of my BB friends and I jumped to the DX and I have to say that BBM is still far superior. Gtalk is good but not good enough to be like BBM. It certainly has the potential and Google has the resources to. The biggest thing for us was to have a Group where we could share a continuous chat, pictures, events, etc. Gtalk doesn't have that.....yet......
    Agreed, but I don't miss BBM as much as I thought I would