Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default what am i doing wrong, how does your droid x last 16+ hours?

unless you guys are lying, i cannot believe you guys are getting 24 or 48 hours of battery life with moderate use.

my settings:

Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth all OFF
    Screen Brightness = 20%
    Vibrate for calls/texts = OFF
    Background Data = OFF
    Email Delivery = Data Push (for gmail i assume)
    Fetch Schedule = 30 minutes (this applies to my yahoo email i assume)
    Social Applications = Sync Over Wi-Fi Only
    Battery Profile = Smart Mode with my off-peak hours set and data timeout after 15 mins

Apps/widgets running:
    Twitter widget synch every 2 hours
    Pure Calendar update frequency every 12 hours
    Beautiful Widgets Home Weather = update interval every 4 hours
    Tapa-Talk widget

I DO NOT have any task killers

Battery Indicator Pro + Juice Defender auto settings running

I get 10-12 hours with moderate usage, 50 - 75 texts per day average, maybe an hour in voice minutes, web browsing 2 hours total maybe, youtube 1 hour maybe

I wouldn't consider that bad for that kind of usage.
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

I dont. On a average day it comes off the charger at around 8am and then back on when I go to bed around 11pm. If I use it heavy its on the charger by 8pm. If i dont touch it and how could you not every few minutes im sure it would be fine for 24 hours.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts

I have push email off and I'm guessing it's the hour of youtube that's killing you.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Default Re: what am i doing wrong, how does your droid x last 16+ hours?

I don't think my battery life is terrible right now, but when ppl say they browse few hours, watch videos, use gps, phone calls and 100 texts. AND THEN say they average like 24 hrs i simply can't believe that.

I consistently hover at 10 hours with my usage as above, prob closer to 30 mins of youtube total on avg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The truth is it comes down to how long you have that big old screen on. I don't care if you got the brightness on 0%, its still going to chew through your battery in <7 hours. I've gotten 1.5 days (36 hours) and at the end of that time been sitting on 30% charge.

But thats with me texting maybe 30 times a day, not really browsing the web, no music streaming or anything critical. The most it does during that time is update weather/email.

Oh and at the end of those 36 hours my display usually holds around 60% of my total battery usage, and that comes out to less than 3 hours time on. Display is followed strongly by Cell Standby and Phone Idle.

Screen on = battery off.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts

Don't forget signal strength. I spend a lot of time in and out of coverage at work depending on where I'm at in the department. If I'm in an area with good coverage, the battery lasts all day. If I'm in an area with crap coverage, my battery will die within 8 hours even without touching the phone.

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

setcpu really helps extend the battery life, but it does lower the performance a bit. I can easily get 16 hours of heavy use (browsing, paper toss, air control) with setcpu in "ondemand" mode. I uninstalled it a few days ago and didn't even get 8 hours, but the phone was much quicker. FWIW, Quadrant scores, w/o setcpu=1252, with setcpu= 822.

I also tweaked the memory management with minfreemanager to agressive and that keeps the phone from getting laggy.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Pure Widgets = Battery Drain

and like DaRkL3AD3R said screen on = battery off.

Signal strength may be a factor too like wabyrd said.

Also, with as much as you're using it, you're battery life isn't all that bad. That's some heavy usage right there. A lot of good points in the posts above.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom

Pure calendar widget kills battery life regardless of the refresh rate. In my tests I'm losing almost half of my battery life.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Damn i didnt wanna believe that pure calendar was draining the crap outta my droidx, cuz i already paid for it and looks amazing

Sigh, all other calendar widg i tried look so bland and does not integrate Astrid tasks

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

interesting. i have never had a problem with any pure widgets being a battery drain. do you guys have the "keep service alive" box checked in the pure calendar settings menu? if so, that could be why they are such a drain on your battery life. i leave that box unchecked, and have the calendar update every 3 hours, and they have never caused me any problems on this phone or my OG droid

Quote Originally Posted by terpitude71 View Post
    interesting. i have never had a problem with any pure widgets being a battery drain. do you guys have the "keep service alive" box checked in the pure calendar settings menu? if so, that could be why they are such a drain on your battery life. i leave that box unchecked, and have the calendar update every 3 hours, and they have never caused me any problems on this phone or my OG droid
    I have Pure Grid and I don't see it being any problem. Maybe it's just Pure Calendar.

Yea Im not getting great battery life. Im going to have to get a second battery and external charger if we don't get an update to help with the battery.

ROM
    Stock

I'm happy getting 14-16 hours from my phone given how much I use it, but this link above does make a darn good case for root. I've never planned on rooting but this, finally, got me thinking about it.

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dural View Post
    I'm happy getting 14-16 hours from my phone given how much I use it, but this link above does make a darn good case for root. I've never planned on rooting but this, finally, got me thinking about it.
    With one button root and unroot, there's no reason not to!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianTX View Post
    With one button root and unroot, there's no reason not to!
    Yes there is...until the OTA Froyo hits. THEN there's no reason not to...

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ottscay View Post
    Yes there is...until the OTA Froyo hits. THEN there's no reason not to...
    One button UNroot allows for OTA Froyo no?

Quote Originally Posted by terpitude71 View Post
    I will check that. I've seen several reports on multiple Pure widgets being battery drains, and my test results (I swapped it in and out for 8 days to be sure to account for other usage patterns) showed a horrible battery drain, but perhaps I had that setting wrong.

More later...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianTX View Post
    One button UNroot allows for OTA Froyo no?
    Ostensibly.

It'll unroot it then anyways, so we'll have re-root it then (possibly via a different technique). Hence I'm just not concerned at this time.