1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Add second gmail account

So i have my primary gmail account running just fine, as well as a yahoo email. Now when trying to add a second gmail account i open the gmail app, menu, accounts, add another account.

When at the next step for signing in, i keep getting to the screen where its trying to contact google servers and then after a few minutes, a window pops up saying this may be a temporary problem, data services not enabled, call customer care if persists.

Anyone have probs adding a second gmail?
    Im sure its not a data services prob because all my apps/widgets/internet browsing/primary gmail work just fine

Any idea what to do, or who to even call?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I've never been able to figure out how to get signed in to 2 different gmail accounts either, so I'll keep an eye on this thread. What I ended up doing is forwarding the mail from the second account to the primary gmail account. If calenders are involved, you can share the gmail calendars with read/write/updating ability (done from being logged in on the PC). That gets you everything excpet any contacts that are added to your 2nd gmail account. Haven't figured that part out.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

I fought that problem for several days, tried all kinds of things, found that it is a pervasive problem on a variety of Android phones and carriers, and apparently is a bug in Android, which has been around for months. The Verizon rep on their User Forum acknowledged that.

The most common solution offered is to do a Factory Reset, which I resisted doing for quite a while, until I just gave up trying to find an alternative real fix. I did the Reset a few days ago. It worked for me, and wasn't as painful as I expected it to be. None of the files on the MicroSD card were affected, but of course all of the apps have to be reinstalled, all settings that deviate from the factory standard rentered, and Bluetooth pairings restored.

Having backups prior to doing the reset is highly recommended, and AppBrain is extremely helpful doing the App restoration, assuming you already have your DX synced to AppBrain.

I consider the Factory Reset as a lousy alternative to a more elegant fix, but I haven't found any other viable solution.
    Last edited by vicw926a4; 08-05-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Typo

Default Can't add a Google Account

My phone was initially setup with one of my 2 Google Accounts, but now that I try to add another, I get nothing but errors. I'm receiving the following:

Either a "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server" when connected to both WiFi OR 3G.......OR I'm getting the message "No data connection could be found", when I'm connected to both WiFi OR 3G. Anyone else see an issue like this??

Damn, I just posted a thread about this, I didn't see this one. I'm having the same exact issue. My youtube account is tied to the Second gmail account I'm trying to add, so since I can't add it, I can't upload anything to YouTube, since the camcorder app only allows you to pick from the list of YouTub accounts you have setup on your phone. Ugh!

Default Re: Can't add a Google Account

Had the same issue with a replacement X. Took to VZW store and they could not figure it out. They ordered me a new one. When I got home I figured it wouldn't hurt to try a factory reset, and that fixed it for me. Give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix_Prime View Post
    My phone was initially setup with one of my 2 Google Accounts, but now that I try to add another, I get nothing but errors. I'm receiving the following:

Either a "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server" when connected to both WiFi OR 3G.......OR I'm getting the message "No data connection could be found", when I'm connected to both WiFi OR 3G. Anyone else see an issue like this??
    Yes, that is exactly the symptom you will get with this problem. Try Googling on that message, and you will see how widespread it is, and how long it has gone on. I was never able to find a viable fix, and finally just did the Factory Data Reset, as I mentioned above, which did resolve it for me. I think there is a consensus that the problem occurs when you go back to add additional gmail accounts after you have done the initial setup. That was true in my case, at least. I'm surprised to see that this problem hasn't become noticed earlier. I posted about it initially, and got no response to speak of within AC.

Add it as a regular account like you did the Yahoo.
    I had the same problem and this is what did

I agree with adding it to messaging. Settings/Accounts/Add Account. Just put the email address and password in and let it automatically configure. I have two Pop3 accounts, one Imap account and two Gmail accounts that I can get to with the Messing Icon (So I don't have to fool with the GMail icon).

In the Google Group forum for issue #8636, post #30 purports to a possible solution to this problem. I can't confirm that it works, since I have already done the Factory Reset on my DX, but for anyone still suffering with it, or using workarounds, this looks pretty easy.

It suggests that if you attempt to login the DX to YouTube, using the 2nd Gmail address, Google will automatically add that account to the phone. I don't know if it is necessary for that second address to actually have an account on YouTube prior to this.

Is this plausible? I don't know, but here is a link to the forum:

Default Re: Add second gmail account

Wow that's an issue I've never seen till now. On my nexus I've run 2 gmail accounts for 5 months now with zero issues. Primary gmail and secondary gmail, both sync fine with never an issue.

Default Re: Add second gmail account

It's been around for many months, on a variety of Android phones and carriers. Verizon has acknowledged it, and suggests fowarding over e-mail as a workaround, andthe main recommedation is to do the Factory Reset thing, which I finally succumbed to.

If this new recommendation works, it could be a great help for its victims. I wish I could check it out myself.

I received this message for the first time today when I tried to modify one of my google accounts . . . . googled it and all responses pointed to doing the factory reset. I did . . .problem fixed.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

The youtube method does work.. I just did it.

Default Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Harkes2k View Post
    The youtube method does work.. I just did it.
    2nd on the YouTube method. Used my 2nd account to log in and I'm all set!

Quote Originally Posted by matt2meyer View Post
    2nd on the YouTube method. Used my 2nd account to log in and I'm all set!
    youtube method worked for me too. i gave up trying to get my 2nd gmail set up on my X and resorted to imap until i saw this thread. what a weird bug. i just logged into the youtube app with my gmail address and password and it automatically added the gmail account to my phone...it never actually added it as a youtube account. i just had to go into "my accounts" and set it to sync and i'm good to go. thanks guys.

Glad to hear the YouTube method is helping you to get beyond this nasty problem. I just wish I had discovered the reference to the fix before I did a Factory Reset on my own DX.

Global Posts
    569 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP 25/Imoseyon lean 2.2

Odd that this seems to be a common problem, especially since I have 4 different GMail accounts set up from day one without a problem. I have had to set up three different devices in a month (long story) but never encountered an issue setting up all four GMail (plus a hotmail and a yahoo).

Default Youtube did not work for me

For some reason the Youtube "fix" did not work for me. I did find a method that works though, maybe it can help some other people here too: http://forum.androidcentral.com/spri...worked-me.html

Global Posts
    1,041 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

+1 for the youtube thing working for me as well.

Default YouTube worked for me!

I tried the YouTube suggestion and it worked. I set up a separate YouTube account and tied it with the gmail account I wanted to add to my phone. This worked for Samsung Captivate.