What does the social networking app do, and can you remove it?

bigboss

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I do not use this app ever, and currently do not have facebook set up on my DX yet, only my twitter

Question is, i see it running all the time and am wondering if its draining battery? I have a twitter widget on my home screen and use twitter app to do things on there, i do not use the social networking app at all.

Is the social networking app necessary? Is this the app that handles synching contact info?
Also, ppl are saying to make sure your social networking is set at a reasonable frequency, as far as i know social networking app does not have that option, this interval update is something you have to tweak with each individual app?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

chrisb3

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If you root your DX, you can remove it as long as you don't use any of the Moto Blur Widgets (social/weather/news/etc.).

If you choose not to root, you can help your battery situation a bit by going into settings>data manager>data delivery>social applications and set the social networking apps to only sync over wifi.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you root your DX, you can remove it as long as you don't use any of the Moto Blur Widgets (social/weather/news/etc.).

If you choose not to root, you can help your battery situation a bit by going into settings>data manager>data delivery>social applications and set the social networking apps to only sync over wifi.

I would be very careful about doing this though since removing bloatware without putting it back (and giving them system app status) on before the update may cause you to not be able to update to Froyo.

chrisb3

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I would be very careful about doing this though since removing bloatware without putting it back (and giving them system app status) on before the update may cause you to not be able to update to Froyo.

Got it covered. I have a dir on the sd card named vzcrapware. Moved the bloat there. Before updating, reinstall the apps and unroot.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Got it covered. I have a dir on the sd card named vzcrapware. Moved the bloat there. Before updating, reinstall the apps and unroot.

OK, cool, but just be sure that when you're installing them back on, to change their permissions to system applications. I had to do this already. Wasn't too tough and was pretty quick.

Sorry to knock this off-topic. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

chrisb3

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
OK, cool, but just be sure that when you're installing them back on, to change their permissions to system applications. I had to do this already. Wasn't too tough and was pretty quick.

Sorry to knock this off-topic. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind when froyo hits in the next few weeks.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I do not use this app ever, and currently do not have facebook set up on my DX yet, only my twitter

Question is, i see it running all the time and am wondering if its draining battery? I have a twitter widget on my home screen and use twitter app to do things on there, i do not use the social networking app at all.

Is the social networking app necessary? Is this the app that handles synching contact info?
Also, ppl are saying to make sure your social networking is set at a reasonable frequency, as far as i know social networking app does not have that option, this interval update is something you have to tweak with each individual app?

simple fix. try this: menu>settings>data manager>data delivery>social applications and set that guy to only update on wifi, and your troubles of it running down the battery as it constantly taps your 3g will go away

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs