To Keep you Droid X Running Fast and Smooth

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I did not write this article. It makes a LOT of good points, and overall my Droid seems to be running a lot smoother, no random glitches anymore. The principle behind this is to not kill everything, but to selectively kill things you obviously never need/use. Read it through then make any comments you have. It came from here (formatting might look better on Reddit than here, you're choice: In light of all the discussions right now about why NOT to use a task killer, from a technical standpoint here's what that submitter got right, what they got wrong, and what you should actually be doing to maximize your phone's potential. : Android

Last edited by a moderator:

duffyanneal

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Autostarts didn't initially work on my DX. When I tried to kill a process it hung on "Please Wait". After uninstalling and reinstalling I actually read the pop up from autostarts and I enabled USB debugging. Just an FYI to everyone. :D

Last edited:

itguy09

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had my DX since launch and have not done a darn thing to it as far as task killers or anything like that. It runs very speedy and I don't have any issues. Probably helps that occasionally I'll end up running my phone all the way and that is a reboot but other than that it's working at 100%.

IMHO all this stuff may be nice but not needed. I don't worry about any of this on my computers (Macs mostly but even on Windows it's not necessary) so why should I do so on my phone? Close out of things when you don't use them and let the OS deal with it.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
That is an awesome article and thanks for posting a link, but please do not copy and paste entire articles in the forum.

I love the article though.

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I gotta say, this was one of the best guides to maintaining a smooth system I have ever read! Makes a world of difference on my phone, and single handedly justifies rooting. +1

Jonross

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Lol i want to read it but its to much to read, atleast the formatting didn't want me to read it... I seem to like to read white text on black, iunno why

Toxa

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I read this article about 3 days ago and also rooted my phone. I've done everything, but decided not to use ATK as it seemed to drain my battery. My phone is lightning fast. I check on running apps from time to time and close out the once that i use rarely (i.e. ebay, paypal, pandora). Very happy. Also use titanium backup to back up all apps so when froyo comes i have no problems unrooting (i didn't delete the bloatware, just uninstalled using titanium and they no longer come up).

Last edited:

kajii

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much for posting this, convinced me to root my phone. Did everything in article and phone is so much nicer!

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
There was some really good advice in this article and it was the reason I bought and setup the application "autostarts". I LOVE that application. There are a few apps that sneak through it somehow and I'm still playing with it to try to get them killed since I DO NOT use a task killer app. The only thing that I have done that this article has mentioned was use "autostarts".

I need to point out though (I wish the article's author would have) is that when deleting the bloatware from your Droid X, there have been many know issues that come from this in regards to system updates.

There were multiple reports of people that removed their bloatware, and then when the .604 update was pushed out, they weren't able to get it. The update would download but when it tried to install, it would install fine until it got to one of the removed programs, and then it would fail and cancel the update.

The fix for that was to not just reinstall the bloatware back onto the device, but to reinstall it AND program the bloatware back to "system applications". Just installing them back would not make them "system applications" and they would still fail the update.

Just a heads up since I can already see it now; we get Froyo (finally!) and then everyone comes complaining that their update won't install and it will be because they removed a bunch of bloatware or removed things that they shouldn't have. Since rooting is so easy now, I want to caution everyone that when you are rooted, you have access to a lot of things that shouldn't be played around with.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Good advice. Another suggestion I'd make is to not delete or move them our of the app folder. Instead rename them from app.apk to app.apk.bak. The file permissions will stay in tact, and it will still have the desired affect of preventing them from loading at startup. When you get ready to update, just go in and remove the .bak extension from each one. Deleting/moving each one does not buy you that much space out of the 8 gigs of internal space we have.

Also, I downloaded autostarts but couldn't find anything in the list besides that SIM program to stop at startup. I'm assuming it was because I had already renamed everything I don't want?

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Things I disabled from "After Startup" using "Autostarts" with no problems so far...

• Amazon MP3
  • SIM Toolkit
  • Google Voice
  • Maps
  • Wordfeud FREE
  • Touiteur
  • Motorola Services
  • Email Engine
  • Social Messaging Service
  • DLNA
  • Video Player
  • Voicemail
  • Seesmic
  • The Weather Channel
  • Mobisle Notes Free

I still get my Gmails fine. I still get my Google Voice VMs fine. These are things that I just don't need to be starting themselves up upon boot.

heathro1281

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I hope its not a bug from this procedure and my battery gauge is screwed... but I have only had a 20% battery discharge over the last 8 hours!!!!

Is this finally the battery fix we been looking for?

Fingers crossed:confused:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
OK...I rooted (using EasyRoot) and want to rename some bloatware files I never use (like Amazon, CityID). So I launch Astro File Manager and navigate to the systems/apps dir, find one of my .apk files, ling press, select edit, then rename and I get a message that says Insufficient permissions. Am I doing something wrong?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
You need root explore from the market. After u have it open scroll to system click scroll to app click app those are your apk files. Up on top it so ro and rw click it to switch then scroll sown find your apps long press edit rename app.apk.bak
OK...I rooted (using EasyRoot) and want to rename some bloatware files I never use (like Amazon, CityID). So I launch Astro File Manager and navigate to the systems/apps dir, find one of my .apk files, ling press, select edit, then rename and I get a message that says Insufficient permissions. Am I doing something wrong?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Which autostarts is from the market? Also what is the file names to rename kindle , 3g hotspot, amazon mp3 apps? Is there a list with what to remove/rename?

theanswer3

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Also rooted because of this article. Autostarts is a godsend, cant just look at afterstartup, have to go through each situation, found a bunch of junk that starts on random things like wi-fi activating, or changing location. I would go through each and every event on the list. 2 things i want to kill but cannot find are voice dialing and the stupid social networking thing from moto. Anyone who knows how to kill those to things i will be very happy.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Also rooted because of this article. Autostarts is a godsend, cant just look at afterstartup, have to go through each situation, found a bunch of junk that starts on random things like wi-fi activating, or changing location. I would go through each and every event on the list. 2 things i want to kill but cannot find are voice dialing and the stupid social networking thing from moto. Anyone who knows how to kill those to things i will be very happy.

The two running applications that I cannot seen to find are the social networking and sticky notes for some reason.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I've rooted, used autostarts to disable some unused stuff at startup, and used root explorer to rename a few bloatware files. My question is, when froyo (or any moto/verizon update) is released, what will I have to change back, if anything, to get the update. Please be specific, as I'm fairly new to the droid world.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch