Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default To Keep you Droid X Running Fast and Smooth

I did not write this article. It makes a LOT of good points, and overall my Droid seems to be running a lot smoother, no random glitches anymore. The principle behind this is to not kill everything, but to selectively kill things you obviously never need/use. Read it through then make any comments you have. It came from here (formatting might look better on Reddit than here, you're choice:
    Last edited by Cory Streater; 08-07-2010 at 11:36 AM.
    Thanked by 2:

Autostarts didn't initially work on my DX. When I tried to kill a process it hung on "Please Wait". After uninstalling and reinstalling I actually read the pop up from autostarts and I enabled USB debugging. Just an FYI to everyone.
    Last edited by duffyanneal; 08-07-2010 at 10:32 AM.

I've had my DX since launch and have not done a darn thing to it as far as task killers or anything like that. It runs very speedy and I don't have any issues. Probably helps that occasionally I'll end up running my phone all the way and that is a reboot but other than that it's working at 100%.

IMHO all this stuff may be nice but not needed. I don't worry about any of this on my computers (Macs mostly but even on Windows it's not necessary) so why should I do so on my phone? Close out of things when you don't use them and let the OS deal with it.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

That is an awesome article and thanks for posting a link, but please do not copy and paste entire articles in the forum.

I love the article though.
    Androidoholic

ROM
    AOKP JB 4.1 Franco rr230

Default Re: To Keep you Droid X Running Fast and Smooth

Very nice article

Sent from DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Galaxy Nexus

Nokia 920

Moto X

I gotta say, this was one of the best guides to maintaining a smooth system I have ever read! Makes a world of difference on my phone, and single handedly justifies rooting. +1

Lol i want to read it but its to much to read, atleast the formatting didn't want me to read it... I seem to like to read white text on black, iunno why

This made me root. +1

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

I read this article about 3 days ago and also rooted my phone. I've done everything, but decided not to use ATK as it seemed to drain my battery. My phone is lightning fast. I check on running apps from time to time and close out the once that i use rarely (i.e. ebay, paypal, pandora). Very happy. Also use titanium backup to back up all apps so when froyo comes i have no problems unrooting (i didn't delete the bloatware, just uninstalled using titanium and they no longer come up).
    Last edited by toxa24; 08-07-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP, Stock

Thank you so much for posting this, convinced me to root my phone. Did everything in article and phone is so much nicer!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

There was some really good advice in this article and it was the reason I bought and setup the application "autostarts". I LOVE that application. There are a few apps that sneak through it somehow and I'm still playing with it to try to get them killed since I DO NOT use a task killer app. The only thing that I have done that this article has mentioned was use "autostarts".

I need to point out though (I wish the article's author would have) is that when deleting the bloatware from your Droid X, there have been many know issues that come from this in regards to system updates.

There were multiple reports of people that removed their bloatware, and then when the .604 update was pushed out, they weren't able to get it. The update would download but when it tried to install, it would install fine until it got to one of the removed programs, and then it would fail and cancel the update.

The fix for that was to not just reinstall the bloatware back onto the device, but to reinstall it AND program the bloatware back to "system applications". Just installing them back would not make them "system applications" and they would still fail the update.

Just a heads up since I can already see it now; we get Froyo (finally!) and then everyone comes complaining that their update won't install and it will be because they removed a bunch of bloatware or removed things that they shouldn't have. Since rooting is so easy now, I want to caution everyone that when you are rooted, you have access to a lot of things that shouldn't be played around with.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Good advice. Another suggestion I'd make is to not delete or move them our of the app folder. Instead rename them from app.apk to app.apk.bak. The file permissions will stay in tact, and it will still have the desired affect of preventing them from loading at startup. When you get ready to update, just go in and remove the .bak extension from each one. Deleting/moving each one does not buy you that much space out of the 8 gigs of internal space we have.

Also, I downloaded autostarts but couldn't find anything in the list besides that SIM program to stop at startup. I'm assuming it was because I had already renamed everything I don't want?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Things I disabled from "After Startup" using "Autostarts" with no problems so far...

• Amazon MP3
    • SIM Toolkit
    • Google Voice
    • Maps
    • Wordfeud FREE
    • Touiteur
    • Motorola Services
    • Email Engine
    • Social Messaging Service
    • DLNA
    • Video Player
    • Voicemail
    • Seesmic
    • The Weather Channel
    • Mobisle Notes Free

I still get my Gmails fine. I still get my Google Voice VMs fine. These are things that I just don't need to be starting themselves up upon boot.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom

I hope its not a bug from this procedure and my battery gauge is screwed... but I have only had a 20% battery discharge over the last 8 hours!!!!

Is this finally the battery fix we been looking for?

Fingers crossed

OK...I rooted (using EasyRoot) and want to rename some bloatware files I never use (like Amazon, CityID). So I launch Astro File Manager and navigate to the systems/apps dir, find one of my .apk files, ling press, select edit, then rename and I get a message that says Insufficient permissions. Am I doing something wrong?
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,512 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

You need root explore from the market. After u have it open scroll to system click scroll to app click app those are your apk files. Up on top it so ro and rw click it to switch then scroll sown find your apps long press edit rename app.apk.bak
    Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    OK...I rooted (using EasyRoot) and want to rename some bloatware files I never use (like Amazon, CityID). So I launch Astro File Manager and navigate to the systems/apps dir, find one of my .apk files, ling press, select edit, then rename and I get a message that says Insufficient permissions. Am I doing something wrong?
    Thanked by:
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,512 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Which autostarts is from the market? Also what is the file names to rename kindle , 3g hotspot, amazon mp3 apps? Is there a list with what to remove/rename?

Also rooted because of this article. Autostarts is a godsend, cant just look at afterstartup, have to go through each situation, found a bunch of junk that starts on random things like wi-fi activating, or changing location. I would go through each and every event on the list. 2 things i want to kill but cannot find are voice dialing and the stupid social networking thing from moto. Anyone who knows how to kill those to things i will be very happy.
    "Make things as simple as possible but no simpler."- Albert Einstein
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." Walt Disney
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theanswer3 View Post
    Also rooted because of this article. Autostarts is a godsend, cant just look at afterstartup, have to go through each situation, found a bunch of junk that starts on random things like wi-fi activating, or changing location. I would go through each and every event on the list. 2 things i want to kill but cannot find are voice dialing and the stupid social networking thing from moto. Anyone who knows how to kill those to things i will be very happy.
    The two running applications that I cannot seen to find are the social networking and sticky notes for some reason.

Ok, I've rooted, used autostarts to disable some unused stuff at startup, and used root explorer to rename a few bloatware files. My question is, when froyo (or any moto/verizon update) is released, what will I have to change back, if anything, to get the update. Please be specific, as I'm fairly new to the droid world.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydarrah View Post
    Ok, I've rooted, used autostarts to disable some unused stuff at startup, and used root explorer to rename a few bloatware files. My question is, when froyo (or any moto/verizon update) is released, what will I have to change back, if anything, to get the update. Please be specific, as I'm fairly new to the droid world.
    If that's all you've done, all you SHOULD have to do is rename the bloatware back to what it was and you SHOULD be good to go.

I emphasize SHOULD because obviously FroYo hasn't been released yet so we don't know for sure but you should be fine.
    Thanked by:

Ok, so did this and now 3 days into it, my only gripe is loss of multi-touch zoom control on the browser...

Anyone else confirm or no where to turn it back on?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heathro1281 View Post
    Ok, so did this and now 3 days into it, my only gripe is loss of multi-touch zoom control on the browser...

Anyone else confirm or no where to turn it back on?
    Well that depends on what you actually did. I am NOT using a task killer, I am NOT deleting applications, I AM using autostarts, I AM using autokiller and I can still pinch to zoom.

What exactly did you do?

I haven't lost any functionality. I would go back and make sure you didn't accidentally kill a process in Autostarts. If nothing else you can reactivate everything and see if that fixes the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by avlfive View Post
    Well that depends on what you actually did. I am NOT using a task killer, I am NOT deleting applications, I AM using autostarts, I AM using autokiller and I can still pinch to zoom.

What exactly did you do?
    I wasnt agressive, I didnt think. I am using ATK. I did everything the article said, but since there is so much leway, I might have killed something.

Going back through...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast