Do you get used to just a touch screen?

Faulk_Wulf

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I used to have a basic T9 phone and now I have a Blackberry Pearl. I can't imagine a non-QWERTY keyboard, but I had a Samsung Glyde once and could not text from it's touch screen. Ever since I've ignored every touch-only device. However, the Droid X looks very very VERY nice, and I was wondering if I'm missing out on a great phone (it's competing against the D1 in my mind because I can't stand the looks of the D2 with all that gaudy chrome).

Thoughts?

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I learned to use touchscreens on a Storm (I still really like SurePress), and during my tenure with those BBs I decided that what you gain from the additional screen real estate easily outweighs any drawbacks to not having a physical keyboard.

That said, it's not for everyone, and there are some excellent Android phones out there with physical keyboards (including the Droid 2 which is arriving shortly). IMO I'd say go try it out at a local Verizon store for a while.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well if you can't have the Droid 2, then the Droid 1 is simply out of question in D1 vs DX comparison. You're getting a better device all around with the X that will be future ready for another 2 years. The D1 while amazing when customized, is reaching EOL and imo isn't worth it for just a QWERTY. I personally came from an LG Voyager with a QWERTY and miss it, but at the same time Swype is genuinely awesome and makes the transition relatively painless. It's a big step forward for touch only devices and is actually pretty darn good once you get the hang of it.

There will be a definitive break-in curve but thats to be expected. Imo do what ottscay said and try it out for awhile in the store. Can't hurt anything but your thumbs ;)

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I went from a Blackberry Tour 9630 to the Droid X and it takes a moment getting used to. But then I discovered Swype and inputting text is so much faster and cooler. Although people may have some initial trouble with full touchscreen devices, after using it a few weeks, most adapt pretty quickly. Sure, they may prefer a physical keyboard (Tour keyboard was the best, IMO), but the touchscreen can offer so much more.

You definitely won't be missing out if you go for the Droid 1 or 2. You can get the best of both worlds. Personally I didn't like the Droid 1's keyboard when I played with my friends; I had trouble hitting the top row because of the way it slid out.

badchevy

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
My fiancee had fought me every step of the way for months when it come to her getting a touch screen because she did not like texting on a touch screen, so when we switched to VZW I got the X and she got the Droid 1 since it had a pull out keyboard. I don't think she had her phone for a week and she came to me and said she really liked the touch screen and I don't think she even pulls out the keyboard anymore. I think I can safely say even those who don't think they will like a touch screen can easily get used to it.

deercreek

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I would only use the physical keyboard on my enV Touch when I was doing a lot of typing(I would have used it for this post, for example). I haven't found myself missing it at all because the spacing of keys in landscape on the X is perfect. Even the portrait keyboard works pretty well.

friguy3#AC

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I had been on a only physical keyboards and had always said Id never use a full touch screen phone. I used a 6700 and 6800 (WinMo phones) with sideways keyboards, then the tour, then the pre and I dont know why but I got the droid x and I must say...I type jsut as fast (sometimes i think faster!) on the screen keyboard! The auto correct works great and only have to change things once and a while. I think its bc the screen is so big. I tried an ipnone and I must admit, it stunk compared to the x's keyboard. it takes a little time, but youll get there. I find myself actually using the portrait more than the landscape too. Im impressed

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
It took some getting used to, and i don't know if i would've been able to do it if i didn't have a screen with this much real estate. Swype helps a lot as well in portrait mode

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I went from a keypad to virtual keyboard and I love it. I always thought I would want a QWERTY keyboard but I was wrong.

Swype is great. It seems like to me that the faster I swype, even though I'm more inaccurate, the more accurate swype is and the slower I swype, trying to be more accurate, the more inaccurate swype is. So now I just haul *** while I swype and it seems to be accurate 9 times out of 10.

Plus, IMO I think it's probably better for you physically. I swype by sliding my index finger over the screen instead of having my thumbs bent typing over a small keyboard. But I'm not a doctor so what the hell do I know.

And the multi touch keyboard, especially in landscape, is really nice too. Plenty of space and big.

Jigmeister

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I never had a phone with a physical keyboard but I did use my daughter's Tour. It has a great keyboard. I've had both the Storm 1 and 2 and can honestly say after about 15 minutes - I have never wanted a physical keyboard.

Your mileage may vary. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply. yada yada yada...

tech42er#AC

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
You didn't dislike the Glyde's keyboard because it was an all-touch screen phone with a virtual keyboard; you disliked it because it's a POS. Before the Samsung Galaxy S series, every Samsung touch-screen phone was crap, especially the feature phones. The X's keyboard is on par with the iPhone's, and Swype makes it even better. Just try the keyboard; I'm sure you'll love it. I'm coming from a BB 8330 and I love the X!

Faulk_Wulf

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Droid 2 gaudy chrome? I see no chrome on it?

I apologize. I only ever saw this Droid 2 shot (where it looks like it has a chrome bezel). I kind of blocked the phone out of my mind after that and only barely glanced at news about it. Indeed, I just looked at that user manual that was posted and see that it looks a lot more sleek then I had thought a month before.

That being said I think I might get an X. There have been many good arguments. And I think I have a 30-day return option if I don't like the phone. A month will be more then enough time to know if it'll work or not, and if it doesn't then it looks like I have a bad *** Droid 2 to choose from.

Thanks for all your thoughts and stories on this.

tech42er said:
You didn't dislike the Glyde's keyboard because it was an all-touch screen phone with a virtual keyboard; you disliked it because it's a POS. Before the Samsung Galaxy S series, every Samsung touch-screen phone was crap, especially the feature phones. The X's keyboard is on par with the iPhone's, and Swype makes it even better. Just try the keyboard; I'm sure you'll love it. I'm coming from a BB 8330 and I love the X!

I seriously laughed out loud at this. Good to know. But yeah, that is why I avoided ANY touch-screen device because the Glyde was my only experience EVER with a touch-screen.

Thanks again everyone. If anyone wants to continue to add anything, feel free. :)

frh1

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have had 4 Windows Mobile phones starting with the 6600. All had touch screens and I always used a stylus most of the time. The last one was a Touch Pro 2. I loved the size of the keys on the slide-out keyboard, but otherwise the phone was a huge disappointment.

The capacitive screen almost caused me not to get a Droid X. I found a Pogo Sketch capacitive stylus at the Apple store. I don't find it as functional as a Windows Mobile stylus, but it is helping me adapt to the Droid X.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
My DX's landscape keyboard is pretty easy to use... though I would still prefer a real one, like on the Droid 2. I came close to waiting for the D2, but the DX's specs sold me. Besides, I have an iPad too and it's touch keyboard rocks.... though it's MUCH larger.

A touch keyboard is only as good as the software. My BB Storm's keyboard was absolutely unusable for me because it never read the presses correctly, and liked to insert periods in places where they didn't belong. The DX's portrait kb is okay... I wish the keys could be a little wider. The landscape one is great, but it takes up the ENTIRE screen. And dammit, just copy the iOS one, don't make us learn another f'ing layout. :)

Rob

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
I was a Blackberry user along with other physical keyboard type phones and tried the HTC Hero when I was on Sprint and hated it. However, the size of the X's touch screen makes it tons easier to get used to it. I was helping my aunt out the other day on her Blackberry and had such a hard time using that keyboard so yeah, I would say you would get used to it no problem. I think it took me about 3 days.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12