concerned about the "back" button hard key..

Smoke N Crack

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
after having my X for a few weeks i am somewhat concerned about this key. it is constantly used and it almost appears to be a little more lower than the other 3 hard keys. im sure its from being used the most but am concerned after several months of use it may stop working. anyone else have this concern?

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Nope....mine are all even. If it qiuts working take it back it has a 1yr. warr. and if you bought ins. it extends the warr. to 2 yrs.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't have that concern since I have insurance and there is the 1-year warranty so if mine stops working, I'm bringing that beast in and having it replaced or fixed.

If you plan on keeping your X, there's no need to worry about it since you're going to have to use the back key, can't avoid that.

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Do you think a channel up or down key on a TV remote gets any less of a workout? And how many times have you had to change a remote on the TV?
So no I have no worries about it.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
YES! I have noticed this too except it happened to my Home button! Its sitting lower physically than the other keys, which made me extremely worried the other day!

Just glad to hear I'm not alone in this one. I knew that having physical buttons would be a problem :(

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
YES! I have noticed this too except it happened to my Home button! Its sitting lower physically than the other keys, which made me extremely worried the other day!

Just glad to hear I'm not alone in this one. I knew that having physical buttons would be a problem :(

What's the problem though? I understand that they may wiggle a bit or sit lower but have they caused any problems yet? If so, you might want to go get the device replaced.

fishngrits

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Is it even possible for a single "button" to be lower than the others? It appears there are only two actual buttons, the menu/home button, and the back/search button.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Nope....mine are all even. If it qiuts working take it back it has a 1yr. warr. and if you bought ins. it extends the warr. to 2 yrs.

I thought the Total Equipment coverage would provide insurance for defects beyond the 1 yr manufacturers warranty as long as the coverage was continued. I didn't think it expires after 2 yrs.

My button (menu/home) wiggles a little but I haven't had it not respond to a press. I think we've gotten so used to touchscreens that we're becoming overly worried about physical buttons. I remember owning phones with physical buttons for dialing numbers and I don't ever recall one of them going bad from repeated use. I'm pretty sure Motorola knows how to do buttons..but if they are going to go bad, I imagine it will happen within the warranty period as long as we don't spend that period babying it.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well I baby my phone and while there hasn't been an instance where I pressed the button and it didn't respond YET (keyword here) the fact that I'm seeing noticeable wear over the course of 3 WEEKS, is definitely reason enough to be concerned about a device you intend to use over 2 YEARS.

Sure to some people this doesn't mean much. But the fact that there's already 2 people who claim the buttons are getting recessed from much use, and that from day 1 every Droid X has wiggling buttons, is not good signs for those of us who like to keep our devices mint.

Not to mention I have serious OCD when it comes to things like this, and to have 1 (1/2 if you must) of my buttons recessed lower than the rest is quite annoying. It sits in the back of my mind, and just looking at it I know there's a discrepancy. And it drives me mad :(

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
im sure when hardware tests were happening with the phone, part of that test involved the hardware buttons being pressed several thousands of times to make sure they would hold up. i dot think you will have to worry about them not functioning correctly, and in the event something does happen, thats why we have insurance, like avlfire said

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Do you think a channel up or down key on a TV remote gets any less of a workout? And how many times have you had to change a remote on the TV?
So no I have no worries about it.
I actually had to replace a $300 (at the time - it's cheaper now) Harmony 880 remote about 6 months after the warranty expired because both the channel up / down and volume up / down buttons stopped responding reliably. I've actually wondered exactly the same thing as the original poster about the home & back keys on the X.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i was worried about this too, but these phones have a year warranty...so if one happens to stop working, its not that hard to get it fixed

Smoke N Crack

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
i have insurance but worried for other reason...

when i first bought and received my phone, i was one of those people who before putting battery in i pulled off and ripped the tab off inside phone to get battery out,. others have posted doing this and have said that Verizon and Motorola state it voids your warranty.. only thing i could do i guess would be to "lose" my phone and get it replaced for $ 79.00 i think it was with Asurion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995