Motorola Posts Solution for SMART PROFILE killing the ringer.

jcarlosfox

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
The Motorola board has a solution to the problem of a ringer failing to work after using the SMART PROFILE - i.e., turning the phone over to silence the ringer.

The solution is here:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/190864#190864

Matt, the forum manager posted this:

"Hey, I have a solution that doesn't require a factory reset! And in fact, it's a lot easier than it may sound.

With the phone in the bad state, non-ringing state

Get into another voice call. Call yourself from another phone if you need to, but you can do it on your next incoming call, too.

Answer the phone.

Trigger the proximity sensor by putting the X to your ear during in the call, or by covering the top right corner of the face of the phone with your hand. The phone face should go black. Once it has turned black, that's enough. It doesn't have to stay blacked out any longer.

Now, put the X on its back so that the TOP of the phone is level - the screen is level. That means you can't use the table and just lay the phone down, because the camera hump will keep the phone from being level on the front.

When you hit that "flat front" sweet spot, you will feel a short vibrator pulse. This means the ringer is back on. You can now end the call (from either side of the call).

Getting the phone level so you feel the vibration is actually pretty easy -- the phone is fairly forgiving. This is so easy that I'm tempted to actually use the Smart Profile feature. Especially since mine is not going into "no-ring" mode every time. For some reason it's working correctly more often than not.

Much easier than a factory reset. (But we're still going to fix it.)"

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
me neither. my phone is stuck in vibrate mode......but it is not showing anywhere that is in vibrate.....really pissing me off!

jcarlosfox

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
me neither. my phone is stuck in vibrate mode......but it is not showing anywhere that is in vibrate.....really pissing me off!

That is what mine was doing. I did a factory reset, and will never activate the feature again.

And, in reply to the above, the entire post quoted above (in a part I didn't copy) says that you have to do this "solution" every time you use the "Smart" Profile.

At least a fix is in the works - it is kind of a cool feature.

jcarlosfox

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site

That is what mine was doing. I did a factory reset, and will never activate the feature again.

And, in reply to the above, the entire post quoted above (in a part I didn't copy) says that you have to do this "solution" every time you use the "Smart" Profile.

At least a fix is in the works - it is kind of a cool feature.

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I read through some of that link and noticed that no one else was able to get their phones out of vibrate mode other than the Moto employee. I didn't read all of that thread, though.

Has anyone had any luck besides doing a factory reset?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, I've not had very many issues with this being enabled. It's worked when it's layed on it's screen in my bed and when I am out and about I still get rings when peole call..

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
just gave up and "factory reset" my phone........again!

my eleven year old son just said "Dad, maybe you new droid isn't so great after all?"

I'm starting to beleive him.......as now, I have to go through and link a ton of contacts together!!!

Itlan#AC

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
The fix posted never seems to work but this one did for me from #117 in that thread, in case anyone here didnt read that far:

"Well, as everyone else, I got the dreaded "no ring of death" using the "Smart Profile: Face Down" feature. However, I was able to fix it pretty simply, although I've only done it once due to fear that I won't be successful in another attempt. What I did was really easy.

1. Make sure that the "Smart Profile: Face Down" feature is enabled.
2. Hold the phone face up in your palm.
3. Call yourself from another phone.
4. As the phone is vibrating, DO NOT ANSWER.
5. Still holding the phone, flip the phone face down as it vibrates.
6. Then, flip the phone back over so that it's facing up.
7. End the call from the phone you are calling from.

After I did those steps, I left the phone face up and called myself again, and then it was finally ringing! May have been a fluke, but if it worked for me, it may work for some of you as well. I promptly went back into settings and disabled the Smart Profile: Face Down feature. Hope this helps, good luck to all of you."

Gebo#AC

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Man, I wish one of these procedures would work for me. I've tried them both, tried battery pull, tried turning off and alternating both the above methods, phooey....

I can see it now. Factory reset and trip to Verizon with my old S2 to transfer contacts, reset all emails, hunting my apps down, etc. Fickle fackel pollywog give a dog a bone.....

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
gebo......it's not that big of a deal to do the factory reset. all of your contact will come right back on the phone when you enter the backup assistant password.
as for your aps, you can just go intothe market and look at your "downloads." it'll give you a list of all of your previously dl'd apps....making it easier for you to redownload them.

the longest part of the reset is getting all your widgets and shortcuts setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez