1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Running weather service

If I go into settings-applications-running services, I scroll down and see WeatherService. It says started by application touch to stop. I'm thinking this is for the stock weather widget, which I don't use. I only use TWC. Can any one tell me how to make this so it doesn't run at all if its possible? Or would I have to go in every time I start my phone up and manually stop it? I figure I don't need it because when I scroll down TWC is also running which I assume is all I need for my weather widget to work right. Thanks.

It just keeps restarting. I'm in the same boat, and I've even taken things a step further; I've used Autostarts app (root only) to prevent apps from loading through system changes and on startup, yet the Weather service isn't listed. My guess is the only way to permanently prevent it from running is through root access modifying the actual Motorola Weather app itself, either by renaming it to a .bak file or by deleting it plain and simple.

I won't go so far as to change the system files, so I don't let this one bother me as I am not willing to go the extra 9 on this one. Hope this helps you though.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well thanks a lot for the info. Right now I don't think ill ever get into rooting this thing just because idk any thing about root other than what I've read on here and incredible forum (when i had my incredible), and I still don't completely understand a lot of the stuff I've read. Do you know if this weather program really makes a difference much in battery life?

Tell ya the truth buddy I don't blame you for not wanting to root. Unless you're really involved in the OS, there's not much interest in doing it to a more casual user, so hold off for now is my best suggestion. As for if this Weather service is killing battery, there's only one way to know for sure and that means getting some kind of Task Manager (note, I said manager not killer) to monitor processes, see if its spiking cpu usage and/or network usage. If its even remotely close to using the network and/or cpu, the answer is yes it is using battery life. Granted how much battery its using can vary widely, but be sure that if its running and using resources that its taking a (potentially small) toll on your battery life.

Unfortunately I know of no such app that can monitor an application/services CPU Usage along with Network Usage so my advice stops dead in its tracks right there if you can find one and look into the info yourself I'm sure your answer lies in that particular info. Best of luck
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

So im assuming im in the same boat with gtalkservice (not really sure what that is) and skype? They both say they have been running for 15 hours which i guess was the last time i rebooted my phone. Is there any harm in going in and stopping these programs through running applications?

Skype you can definitely kill off. There's certain system actions that if you perform, it will just load back up again. For instance, if you make an outgoing call Skype will load just because. Thanks to that root app Autostarts its possible to remove these from happening (think msconfig on your pc, only for your phone. And there's more to it than just on-startup events...) but again, without root this is not possible and you'll have to repeatedly end the task.

Not too sure about gtalkservice. Pretty certain its ok to kill that one off.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

gtalk is used by market so don't disable it or you can't download apps. Skype can be renamed or removed. There's no point in stopping skype because it will just start again, if you don't want to root, just leave these two alone, they don't take up much space at all.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks to both of you. I don't get bad battery life by any means compaired to my incredible. I just figure any thing I can do to make the phone perform any better or to get the most out of my battery i can would be worth at least getting some info on. Thanks again.

No problem. And didn't know gtalk was tied to market. I've just left it alone because I figured its Google, I like Google lol can't do any harm.