Droid X - Gmail auto-sync breaking other apps?

rollna01

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I have been struggling with an issue regarding gmail auto-sync and other push applications.

My wife and I switched from BBs to Droids (Me: DX Her: DINC) and we were looking for a BBM replacement. Cnectd and PingChat looked like really good alternatives. Loaded both of them up to test out functionality. When she sent me a message from either app, DINC->DX, I would never get it until I went into the application to look for it. A few seconds after I opened the app it would give me the notification. When I sent her a message, DX->DINC, her phone would get the message instantly, but I wouldn't get the checkmark saying she read it. I wrote each app off thinking they were just buggy applications.

Then I got to playing with the power widget and I didn't know what the 4th icon was. I initially thought it was my 3G connection. I disabled it and proceeded to test this theory of it being the 3G toggle with some web-surfing. No wi-fi and I could still use the web?!?! Then, I tried sending my wife a PingChat message. She got it and to my surprise I received a response within 30 seconds while my phone was locked. Remember, I hadn't been getting any messages unless I checked the app. I then found out through a search that it was the auto-sync toggle/ After more testing with the auto-sync feature turned off, both PingChat and Cnectd are working perfectly as designed. I have also been what feels like a few more notifications from my exchange and imap accounts which previously, I wasn't getting at all until I checked each inbox. This isn't an ideal fix by any means because I would like to auto-sync my Gmail, but "less" flaky email/exchange notifications and being able to IM during the day is probably worth disabling auto-sync.

Has anyone else on the Droid X come across similar issues with auto-sync and these apps? I would be interested to see if anyone else could test this out to see if they have or can create the same issues.

Thanks for reading!

Nate