Droid X gets stuck on red eye during reboot.

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
2 days ago my Droid X randomly got really slow. Especially when getting into the text messaging app. It would bring up the list of texts with the phone #s, and then take up to 20 seconds to populate the caller IDs for the numbers from the phone book. Then, in general the phone was very sluggish. I don't have any crazy apps installed. Seesmic, Beatiful Widgets, Facebook, pretty basic stuff. I use my corporate email and personal Gmail account. Don't even have the reported issues with my Exchange account. Until this random slow down everything was great, and I was loving my switch from Blackberry, to which I was a crackberry addict for years. I work with computers for a living and am a power user.

So now here's my huge problem. I went to the Verizon store yesterday to see if they knew a fix to my phone slow down issue since I couldn't find a solution on the Android Central forums. They thought maybe I had too many texts so we deleted them all. Didn't fix the issues. Then we began removing apps I had installed one by one to see if that would work. No luck. Then we wiped the phone, which seemed to work until early this afternoon it slowed down again.

I called Verizon Tech Support and they wanted me to run it in Safe mode for a day before sending me a new phone, which is back ordered until the 26th anyway. So we set it in Safe mode. Still didn't fix the slowness, so I asked her to order me a new phone. She asked that I try wiping it again and running it for 24 hours without any new apps installed after the wipe. I agreed. Pulled the battery to reboot out of safe mode. So when I rebooted, it brought up the Motorola M logo, then the Droid logo, then the red eye. Then it got stuck on the red eye, with the animation in the eye going back and forth. I never boots up. I've tried battery pulling, letting it sit for several minutes, and then turning it back on again with the same result every time. I even tried holding in the menu key to boot it back into safe mode with no luck.

So now I don't even have a working phone, which I run my personal and professional life off of. We don't even have a land line. I already sold my Blackberry online. I'm stuck! I was hoping someone might have a solution for me. At least to get this phone booted up until I can get my replacement on the 26th.

Sorry this message is so long. Thanks for reading it, and any help you may be able to provide.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
My wifes X kept freezing on the moto logo when turning on every few days. Finally I had enough troubleshooting and asked vzw to replace it. Ordered it on saturday and it arrived on wednesday. Wasn't supposed to even be in stock until the 18th.

jcharris08

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Dude insane stuff mine was doing exactly the same thing and after a battery pull wouldn't move past the red eye. Nothing would fix it. I booted it into recovery and formatted everything. No luck but in second time formatting it eventually got itself runnig again. Been working fine ever since. I blamed facebook app cause mine went to shot after the update.

Good luck but my phone was doing exactly 100% what yours was and it was very frustrating. Been fine since i finally got it formatted and running again. Just power on while holding the home button down.

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
After writing this post, I let it sit at the red eye for about an hour and it finally booted up. And it was fixed. No longer sluggish. Your thought that it might be the Facebook update is interesting. I was thinking it might be Beautiful Widgets or Audio Manager Pro, my two favorite apps. So I don't have those installed but I do have Facebook. We'll see if it happens again. The Verizon rep is supposed to call me back today around 2pm to see if it's working okay, and if not they'll send me a new one, but it won't ship until the 26th. Might just tell her it's still broken and get the new one anyway, just in case.

medic673

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
My Droid is doing the exact same thing, I wonder why all of them are doing this all of a sudden? Mine is up to about 30 mins now with the red eye still going. Not sure what the deal is, but hopefully someone finds a solution to this.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem the other day. VZ had me clean the battery contacts, and it came back on immediately. Maybe a a coincidence, but give it a shot!

Boothio

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me, the new facebook app was relinking profiles constantly, I ended up with 160 linked profiles per contact that said nativeFacebook. Go into the facebook app and remove the sync from that and you should be all set. You can resync by going to accounts and syncing from there rather than the facebook app.

medic673

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me, the new facebook app was relinking profiles constantly, I ended up with 160 linked profiles per contact that said nativeFacebook. Go into the facebook app and remove the sync from that and you should be all set. You can resync by going to accounts and syncing from there rather than the facebook app.

Mine did the same thing and when I unsynced them and rebooted, I got the red eye of death. Verizon is sending me a new one after paying 300 for a replacement till I can return the brick.....

Chad_G_77

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
While I hate to hear of these problems... I'm glad to know others are suffering alongside me. Let me give my story and see how that matches up with what others are experiencing.

I get my X on launch day and it works smashingly for a week or so. Then it starts to become very sluggish. As described by others, my text messages take a good 30 seconds to load. I can see the message list rather quickly with the phone numbers... then the names populate after 5-10 seconds. When I select a message, it then goes to a black screen where it sits for 15-20 seconds, if not longer, before finally loading. If I try to reply to a message, it takes another 15-20 seconds for it to grab my contact names. This happens in both texts and emails through the gmail app. For the last two weeks, the slowdown has been mainly confined to messages. The last week however, it's been the whole phone. My phone started rebooting sporadically while I was accessing messages. Other apps became sluggish. When I press an icon it takes 5-7 seconds to recognize the press. I'm missing calls because when I press the "answer" button it literally won't recognize the press and answer the phone before the caller is routed to voice-mail. My contacts won't load for 30 or more seconds... it's a bad deal...

Monday evening I decided to take the nuclear option and do a factory reset. I'll lose all my customization from the past three weeks, but the phone was becoming almost unusable and had to try something. So I do the reset and get back to the initial Android activation screen. When I make the phone call that activates it, it tells me that it was successful and ends. When I press the next button it should continue the activation... but mine dumped me back to the previous screen where I had to touch the android button again to start the activation. I do this 3-4 times and realize I'm stuck in an endless loop. So I call Tech support and speak to a baffled lady for 30+ minutes. She even called Motorola while I was on the phone with her and Motorola was confused as well.

So she tells me that VZ will replace my phone and she notates my account for when I go to the store. I immediately head over to VZ (fully knowing they'll be out of stock) and explain the situation. They are also confused over the issue and they order my new phone for me. In the meantime, he heads back to the tech support section of the store and says someone back there knows how to bypass this boot screen. 2 minutes later he comes back with a grin on his face... they bypassed the activation screen and discovered my phone number was registered as a bunch of random numbers and letters in the phone. That's why it wouldn't activate properly. He manually changed my numbers on the device... activated... success and I'm back in business.

They tell me that when my new phone is delivered I can refuse delivery and I won't have to swap out. BS... I'm swapping, lol. So life is good Monday evening. Apps run fast, messages load as soon as they're opened, contacts pop up immediately. Then I wake up Tuesday morning... and my phone is back to normal. Normal being slow as Christmas... I've kept the phone with all the basic settings, not modified it, barely installed any apps. Still running like crap. Now it's Wed and it's getting slower and slower. Hopefully my new phone will arrive soon or my old one might be running in reverse!

I don't really have any solutions to add to this mystery. Like I said, I kept the phone basically stock this time to see if that helped, but no such luck. I look forward to hearing others thoughts on this.

Chad_G_77

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
So here's an update... tried removing FB app since I saw others say that helped. Phone froze during the uninstall and became completely unresponsive. Pulled battery... rebooted... red eye of death... been stuck on it now for 30 minutes.

Boothio

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
My phone would not let me uninstall it either after it screws up your phone. Luckily the reset worked and I was able to disable facebook from syncing from the get go. Do not sync facebook contacts through the new app, just go through Accounts and sync from there and leave the facebook app itself out of it.

Chad_G_77

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, my phone is a freaking brick... VZ store where I am couldn't fix it so I"m hoping the store in my hometown can bypass the activation process again. As for now, I'm just looking at the android on the screen teasing me by telling me to "touch him to begin."

I should add my phone froze when I went in to uninstall the FB application. That's the last time it was working. I guess FB is serious about taking over the world. It took over my phone!

I sure hope the new X arrives in the mail soon.

Last edited:

medic673

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
well after mine was ordered today and the nice cost of 299 being held on my credit card, the damn phone starts working and seems to be ok. I am with you Chad, I am keeping the new one when it gets here. Something is screwy with this phone...

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, my phone is a freaking brick... VZ store where I am couldn't fix it so I"m hoping the store in my hometown can bypass the activation process again. As for now, I'm just looking at the android on the screen teasing me by telling me to "touch him to begin."

I should add my phone froze when I went in to uninstall the FB application. That's the last time it was working. I guess FB is serious about taking over the world. It took over my phone!

I sure hope the new X arrives in the mail soon.

To bypass the activation screen, tap the top left corner of the screen, then the top right, then the bottom right, and finally the bottom left. But it sounds like bypassing the activation screen is the least of your worries.

Chad_G_77

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the bypass tip. I wondered how they were getting around that. Just left the VZ store and they were able to activate my phone again for me. The rep said they're having a problem activating "all" droids OTA so they're having to do this workaround for the time being. Not sure what he meant by "all" but they obviously knew well how to do this. They had me up and running again in about two minutes.

On a much better note, I came home to find the FedEx man left me a nice surprise...

weasle543

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
My X wouldn't activate when I first got it. Had to call VZW to activate. However I've done 2 hard resets and it activated without calling VZW. After first reset earthlink email wouldn't send, second reset everything seems to be fine. Plus the wifi connection is much better. YMMV...

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Not only did my X get stuck on the Red Eye for a good while until it finally started up, yesterday my phone rang repeatedly, but when I went to answer the phone...nothing. I couldn't hear anything nor could the person hear me. Eventually I power cycled the X and the phone "seemed" to work ok. However, I've been noticing unusual screens when the phone rings. A lot of times it will show the number at the top with answer or ignore way down at the bottom--instead of the usual screen with the picture or icon and the number with answer/ignore just below (about mid-screen).

I've had problems with screen lag, occasional problems with keyboard responsiveness, screen going black or not responding (I've done three battery pulls today already).

What do you think? Should I call this in for a replacement?

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue most are reporting. Very laggy over the past few days. Today I couldn't get my SMS to load. Finally went about uninstalling some things, got to Facebook and it froze up. Battery pull, Red Eye Of Death. I waited about an hour and a half before I manned up and did the factory restore (Power + Home for 5 seconds). Once it went into activation mode it wouldn't connect to VZW. After a call something freed up and I was able to get everything running again.

I'm very thankful for AppBrain, as getting all my apps back was relatively painless. I opted to not link up with Moto's FB app that was pre-installed and instead gave the standalone app a shot and so far so good. I wont be connecting anything other than my g-mail account until at least Froyo, and then only if other people report no issues.