Sudden battery life loss and lagg...

gtmci84s

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
When I first got my phone I was getting about 12-16 hrs on one charge and my phone was very snappy and quick, not as quick as my incredible was but it was very quick. The past 3 days I have only been getting about 8 hours on a charge and the phone slowed way down. I noticed that when I'm scrolling through home screens and opening my app drawer that it is very laggy. The only new thing I have downloaded is rockplayer. I do not run a task killer. Any info would be appreciated. I'm thinking maybe I'll have to hard reset after reading other threads... Thanks.

TootNBerry

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I recommend downloading task killer and just checking to see what apps you have running, I also did this and had a butt load running.. I'd just give it a try..

gtmci84s

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Haha i read the article like 2 weeks ago. Ill give it a try. I deleted rock player and i think it already made a difference. Can't tell yet for sure though. Thanks.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Try just powering down your phone if this happens again. I reboot about every other day and it keeps my phone from getting too bogged down memory-wise with dozens of apps running in the background.

Over the course of a few days I'll start alot of apps and not kill them, so I'll ocassionally pull up ATK to knock out a few games which are running or just reboot.

gtmci84s

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I actually don't really have that many apps at all. I have one game that i play once in a while and i use a few other apps but that's it. It seems like with as many as i have that i could run all of them and it wouldn't make a difference. I did try powering down a few times and that never really made a difference. Im really thinkin it was rockplayer so far. What else plays divx or avi files, anything?

ylimehajile

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I really hope Froyo fixes issues like this. Seems like a lot of common solutions to a lot of different threads out there. Just uninstall the apps and the problem goes away. Isn't that the point of the phone. We have a ton of home screens with all the realestate in the world but we can't install anything on the phone because it kills the battery, freezes the phone, slows it down and in a few cases (facebook) can even brick it. My phone has now been neutered down to a very few necessity applications. Any widget I add kills my battery or boggs it down to unusable. Yesterday I tried to slowly add a few widgets back on and my battery life dropped drastically so I removed them.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I really hope Froyo fixes issues like this. Seems like a lot of common solutions to a lot of different threads out there. Just uninstall the apps and the problem goes away. Isn't that the point of the phone. We have a ton of home screens with all the realestate in the world but we can't install anything on the phone because it kills the battery, freezes the phone, slows it down and in a few cases (facebook) can even brick it. My phone has now been neutered down to a very few necessity applications. Any widget I add kills my battery or boggs it down to unusable. Yesterday I tried to slowly add a few widgets back on and my battery life dropped drastically so I removed them.

That brings a tear to my eyes.

Thats why you should get this my friend: Innocell 3500mAh Extended Life Battery For use with Motorola Droid X (well as soon as its available that is)

I know I will be. I too don't get the point to having so many options available and then have such a weak battery that 6-8 hours is the expected full battery cycle when you actually "use" your phone.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Check the apps you have installed. Any app that updates frequently, even behind the scenes, will consume your battery before you know it. These would include news apps, weather, FaceBook, etc. As another example, I had Scanner Pro (a great app, by the way). Didn't use it, but right after I set it up for local stations, suddenly, immense battery drain - 80 percent in couple hours with no use! Deleted the app (plus all the news, Facebook - not a fan, etc.) until I need them. Battery life back to normal, which is around 70 percent by mid-afternoon with lots of use.

Otherwise, I have no less than 50 apps still on my DX.

Interesting to note that, although an app is deleted and the icon disappears from the app page, it still shows in the "applications" list of Options. Thus, if and when you download the app again, preferences are pretty much still there. Kind of a convenience factor. Very nice.

ylimehajile

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I just bought the 'extended' battery from Verizon (haven't gotten it yet). It's a shame to always have to be worried about not making it to the next charge opportunity. I will carry both batteries around.

Arelunde - I know what you are saying. That was kind of my point (although probably not expressed all that well). We shouldn't have to worry about which apps to download. There should be a whole lot more extensive testing on these things if they cause these types of issue. As I stated, my phone is running pretty virgin right now. I've deleted EVERYTHING that came preinstalled on my desktop. The only thing I added was a weather widget and an ESPN score ticker. By 2pm (unpluged at 7:30am) my battery was at 40%. On my drive home I almost hit the dreaded 15%. I'm well aware of the GPS issue and make sure that isn't running anywhere. I'm starting to wonder if my car dock is slowly damaging my battery. It gets very hot in the dock while charging.

dgs2000

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I just bought the 'extended' battery from Verizon (haven't gotten it yet). It's a shame to always have to be worried about not making it to the next charge opportunity. I will carry both batteries around.

Arelunde - I know what you are saying. That was kind of my point (although probably not expressed all that well). We shouldn't have to worry about which apps to download. There should be a whole lot more extensive testing on these things if they cause these types of issue. As I stated, my phone is running pretty virgin right now. I've deleted EVERYTHING that came preinstalled on my desktop. The only thing I added was a weather widget and an ESPN score ticker. By 2pm (unpluged at 7:30am) my battery was at 40%. On my drive home I almost hit the dreaded 15%. I'm well aware of the GPS issue and make sure that isn't running anywhere. I'm starting to wonder if my car dock is slowly damaging my battery. It gets very hot in the dock while charging.
Are you using the ESPN Scorecenter widget? It devastated my battery life when I used it. App is fine, but don't use the widget...

gtmci84s

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
It seems like every one is hoping that froyo is gonna work miracles with our phones. I'm glad I'm not the only one... There are a lot of things we can do to save battery and increase the speed of our phones but the big thing to me is we shouldn't have to do these things. Turning gps off and running task killers are things that should make the battery life outstanding. I understand having a widget that updates frequently will shorten battery life, but it should still be able to last a solid 16-18 hours with the things we want running on it.

gtmci84s

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I guess I spoke too soon about it being rockplayer, Off the charger for about 70 minutes with 7 texts (thats incoming and outgoing) and my battery already says 90 percent. I miss the 12-16 hours I was getting when I first got the phone. I guess im downloading ATK..

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Widgets are nifty, but most are always active ... so they are potential culprits as soon as battery life starts to nosedive. Too bad. They are fun and interesting.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
It seems like every one is hoping that froyo is gonna work miracles with our phones. I'm glad I'm not the only one... There are a lot of things we can do to save battery and increase the speed of our phones but the big thing to me is we shouldn't have to do these things. Turning gps off and running task killers are things that should make the battery life outstanding. I understand having a widget that updates frequently will shorten battery life, but it should still be able to last a solid 16-18 hours with the things we want running on it.

The GPS is the bug one they are patching in the Froyo update. Its not because of Froyo, it just happens that Verizon/Motorola feel that is the best time to include this fix.

But ones like this Widget is always going to be an issue. The way these widgets work is great and all. But they have to be written well. This one wasn't.

acun6699

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I too am having this problem now. When i first got the phone, it was giving me great battery life, at least 12 hours or great usage. But i just noticed yesterday that it didnt last as long. This morning, i took it off the charger at around 8 am, and by 830am, it was down to 90%. I dont see any lag in my phone, its just the battery life thats diminishing.

EDIT: I had downloaded a stopwatch app about 2 days ago and im wondering if this is the culprit? Imma uninstall it and see how it goes.

acun6699

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
seems like the stopwatch app was the culprit. Got much better battery life without it for some reason. I didnt think it needed to look for updates as much.