Ugh...sudden onset of problems

Hosehead

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Starting out of the clear blue last night, my X is terribly laggy, especially Handcent. Also, the microphone no longer works on phone calls. No one can hear me unless I use the speaker.

The replacement is on the way, but I am disappointed that I need one already.

Anyone have a similar issue?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
On my 3rd device. So far it has lasted 4-days. I bought the $1.99/month extended warranty from Verizon.

I'm not trying to get one of those nasty threads started, but sometimes, certain phones just don't work for certain people, and in most (though not all) cases, it's not the phones fault. I had the Storm 1 and the Storm 2, both of which worked perfectly for me. I like the added things that android does and the size of my X screen, but the bb's always worked fine. I believe that in most cases, it's related to a combination of the apps we choose to install and the settings on the phone that we opt for. Because of the complexity of these devices and the wide array of apps that are available for install, it's virtually impossible to pinpoint what it is that causes trouble for a few, and perfection for most. I would guess that if everyone who has had multiple exchanges would get a phone and use it right out of the box without adding a single app or changing a single setting, 9 out of 10 phones returned would have worked perfectly. 'm not suggesting that you don't add apps, as that's half the fun of owning one of these things. But add things over a span of time and pay attention that what has been added in relation to when troubles arise.

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I too have had problems similar to those described by Hosehead. I have wondered if my thoughts of returning it is premature because of these issues, which are quite frustrating. So much so, that I'm keeping an eye on the approaching the 30-day return mark.

I find the comments by greydarrah interesting. I think there's some truth to what you say, but I think the volume of people having problems with their Xes suggests there's more device issues than user error.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lesscryptic

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I returned one of them already, and got one back with identical problems. I think my standards were just too high for what I expected these things to do (this is my first smartphone). In the words of Louis CK, "It's going to space! Give it a second!"

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
OP: I'm assuming you simply restarted your phone, right? I mean, you can't expect to not have glitches once a while. Sometimes apps misbehave which can cause the phone to freeze or act crazy. A simple restart is usually all that's needed.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I too had similar issues... Factory reset fixed everything. Some backup apps available if you wanted to do that.

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
You know...I'm starting to think it's the Facebook app. Ever since the update(s), my X has been acting funky. Laggy, screen freezes, phone mic not functioning. I've had to do four battery pulls today...the latest a few minutes ago when trying to check a post on my Facebook page. I am going to uninstall the Facebook app and see if that improves things.

frh1

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
screen freezes...

I don't use facebook and I haven't started using the DX as a phone yet. But out of nowhere my screen will start to freeze for anywhere from 3 to 15 seconds. Sometimes it happens when I am using the browser. It happens every time I try to play backgammon. Once it starts doing it, it will continue to do it until I get fed-up and turn it off for a while.

I have done a factory reset 3 times. It still does it. I have tried 3 different backgammon games and it has done it with all of them.

Verizon told me the screen freezing up is something they know about. They blamed it on a bad batch of phones from Motorola. I am still waiting for my replacement.

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Argh! Make that five battery pulls today, and Facebook is gone. I'm calling Verizon. This is unacceptable. :mad:

Edited to add that I am still waiting [over 15 minutes later] for the restart after the battery pull. My X is stuck on the Droid Eye.

Last edited:

tech42er#AC

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Just to get an idea, when did you guys purchase your phones? There have certainly been reports of bad batches of Droid X's on release day and for some time after that, but (supposedly) the newest batches have all the hardware kinks worked out. Are these phones a almost month old or almost a week old? I've had mine for 2 days, and haven't had any problems so far, so I'm really hoping the hardware issues were fixed! ;)

edit: And after reading too many threads implicating facebook for a whole host of problems, I've decided not to use the official FB app or the Blur FB account sync thing. Right now, I'm just using the Touch Facebook website.

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I picked my phone up on launch day. My wife ordered her phone launch day, and received it the following day. She's had not problems (finding some wood to knock on), while mine has seemingly taken a precipitous downward spiral.

ylimehajile

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Grey- i here ya but don't think that is the case. Both devices i returned had known hardware issues. When i got the new device i ran it virgin for at least 24hrs before installing anything (That included removing all the crap that came on the desktop). If these were simple known software issues Verizon wouldn't be so willing to make the exchange. They are getting a TON of returned devices.

Hosehead

May 18, 2010
Visit site
OP: I'm assuming you simply restarted your phone, right? I mean, you can't expect to not have glitches once a while. Sometimes apps misbehave which can cause the phone to freeze or act crazy. A simple restart is usually all that's needed.

I didn't think I needed to state the obvious, but yes, I have done about 20 restarts, uninstalled and reinstalled apps all to no avail. A simple restart was not the solution. Even since I removed Handcent, it takes the stock text messaging app 10 seconds+ to open and it takes 5 seconds+ to open a message, then close and go to another. The thing is at a standstill.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Strange. I still say do the factory reset. I had all sorts of problems after the .604 update. Factory reset fixed it all.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I didn't think I needed to state the obvious, but yes, I have done about 20 restarts, uninstalled and reinstalled apps all to no avail. A simple restart was not the solution. Even since I removed Handcent, it takes the stock text messaging app 10 seconds+ to open and it takes 5 seconds+ to open a message, then close and go to another. The thing is at a standstill.

Then you probably should have done a factory reset before assuming the hardware is faulty. It's a little late for that now and hopefully you have better luck when the new one arrives.

Out of curiosity were you rooted?

Hosehead

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I was not rooted, and I was not doing a factory reset and starting out at scratch. If the microphone on the phone is not working, perhaps you can explain to me how that can be anything but hardware related? Looking forward to that reply.

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I got mine on launch day. I had my first random reboot last night and have had to do a battery pull one other time. Overall, I think the phone is running amazingly smooth.

I think the random reboot may have been after I updated one of my apps.

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Hosehead, it could be the software controlling the mic, not the microphone itself.

I am going to try doing a hard reset before I decide whether to call this in. I get the notion that bugs can happen, but given the high number of people experience the same issue, this seems like more than something resets can fix. I am really starting to get a bad taste in my mouth (read buyer's remorse).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac