Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default your reception?

I just don't get good phone reception with my X. I'm comparing it to the small handset my wife has and to the EnVtouch I had.
    I'm updating my roaming *228. Maybe that'll help. Have any of you had problems like this?
    Galaxy S4
    Tab 2

rootless

Mine is the same as my Storm. 1 to 2 bars around my house, but never drop calls.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

I seem to always have 1-2 bars but calls don't drop and data still comes through just fine.

It's a little weird. I don't get quite as good of a signal in my house as I do on my og droid (dBm). In my car there have been a few area's that are hit and miss with my droid that have been rock solid with my dx. I have no reasonable explanation but I have only had my dx since thurs.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Default Re: your reception?

I find that the bars drop when it is not in use for alittle while. As soon as I have it gather data it will shoot up as good or better then any phone.

Sent with Tapatalk

I've had 3 DX phones and they all had/have lower bars than my previous Blackberries and my wife's motorola chocolate. If I get one 1X bar at the house I'm lucky. Rarely do I see 3G. If I'm not on my wifi data transfer is painful (constant 'Network Error' messages). I have never dropped a call at my house but have around my neighborhood. I'm not in a very good coverage zone but the phone still receive less signal than all the other phones I've had. I've downloaded 'Real Signal' from the market to see if the bar icon was just inaccurate. It is usually very close to what 'Real Signal' shows. I also get a lot of 'dancing bars' (all three DXs). One second I see zero bars and the next two bars. This is with the phone just sitting on table.

I put a call into Verizon and they are/were supposed to come out to my house and do a signal check. They said it would take about 3-days to do it. That was a week and half ago and I've heard nothing from them.

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Picture ..................DEAD HORSE..................Picture............Someone beating it.......................Get the PICTURE,try searching the fourms there are plenty of threads on this subject not just a day ago. Sorry I couldn't help myself. jeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by droidntn View Post
    I just don't get good phone reception with my X. I'm comparing it to the small handset my wife has and to the EnVtouch I had.
    I'm updating my roaming *228. Maybe that'll help. Have any of you had problems like this?
    YES I had same problem, and a lot of other little problems as well. Too many bugs...
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Willymakit 75 View Post
    Picture ..................DEAD HORSE..................Picture............Someone beating it.......................Get the PICTURE,try searching the fourms there are plenty of threads on this subject not just a day ago. Sorry I couldn't help myself. jeesh.
    I expect a mod to remove this but I gotta get this out once and for all. And since I started the thread, I guess this is the place.
    I own a forum and I NEVER chastise my members, nor do I allow my members to chastise other contributing members like this statement above.
    On this forum, I see this over and over and over with members making other members feel guilty because they haven't searched.
    You are right! There are plenty of threads. As a matter of fact, when I put in 'Droid x reception problems' I came up with 19 threads.
    But what people forget is that as the community grows, so does the wealth of information. And the information, especially in technology, changes. There could always be NEW information that isn't in those 19 threads.
    And besides, searching thru 19 threads can take awhile.
    A forum is a community and inside that community are those member's contributions.
    On my forum I encourage posting in any form because comments like those above causes members to be hesitant to post and they eventually might go to another forum, where they are free to communicate and ask questions.
    I could care less if the question is asked 100 times. I have people communicating and knowledge being exchanged.
    If it just becomes a place to come and search, then the members might as well just not be a member and search Google for their answers.
    Again, I expect a moderator will trim or cut this post and that's ok.
    I just see this thought process, like a lecture, of members telling other members to search instead of post, more on this forum than any I've ever seen.
    Not sure why that is. This is a wonderful forum with a great management team. It's sort of like being somewhere and someone raising their hand and saying 'this is a dumb question' and a bystander saying 'yes it is, shut up and sit down or go in the hall and ask someone else'.
    It's rude.
    Members are here to exchange information. They deserve to not get a lecture if they ask a question.
    Now if the mods leave this post in place that's fine. I'd really like to get back to the question at hand and that is about our cellphone's reception.
    I appreciate being a member here and love my Droid X. I hope I can keep my membership. I hope I haven't offended a mod or the forum owner.

Thank you and have a good day on your X.
    Mark
    Galaxy S4
    Tab 2

rootless

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Thanks Mark: But no problems here on recption. Sorry I hurt your feelings,I will try and be a KINDER ,GENTLIER PERSON.

Quote Originally Posted by droidntn View Post
    I expect a mod to remove this but I gotta get this out once and for all. And since I started the thread, I guess this is the place.
    I own a forum and I NEVER chastise my members, nor do I allow my members to chastise other contributing members like this statement above.
    On this forum, I see this over and over and over with members making other members feel guilty because they haven't searched.
    You are right! There are plenty of threads. As a matter of fact, when I put in 'Droid x reception problems' I came up with 19 threads.
    But what people forget is that as the community grows, so does the wealth of information. And the information, especially in technology, changes. There could always be NEW information that isn't in those 19 threads.
    And besides, searching thru 19 threads can take awhile.
    A forum is a community and inside that community are those member's contributions.
    On my forum I encourage posting in any form because comments like those above causes members to be hesitant to post and they eventually might go to another forum, where they are free to communicate and ask questions.
    I could care less if the question is asked 100 times. I have people communicating and knowledge being exchanged.
    If it just becomes a place to come and search, then the members might as well just not be a member and search Google for their answers.
    Again, I expect a moderator will trim or cut this post and that's ok.
    I just see this thought process, like a lecture, of members telling other members to search instead of post, more on this forum than any I've ever seen.
    Not sure why that is. This is a wonderful forum with a great management team. It's sort of like being somewhere and someone raising their hand and saying 'this is a dumb question' and a bystander saying 'yes it is, shut up and sit down or go in the hall and ask someone else'.
    It's rude.
    Members are here to exchange information. They deserve to not get a lecture if they ask a question.
    Now if the mods leave this post in place that's fine. I'd really like to get back to the question at hand and that is about our cellphone's reception.
    I appreciate being a member here and love my Droid X. I hope I can keep my membership. I hope I haven't offended a mod or the forum owner.

Thank you and have a good day on your X.
    Mark

Agree completely. Part of the problem may be a maturity issue, not sure. If I read a "new" thread that is not new I just move on and skip over it. It seems that every forum has a few members that have appointed themselves as the conscience of the community.

My reception is pretty good, I really don't pay attention to the bars, just care that the call goes through. I would say that the reception is slightly better than it was on my BB curve 8330.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Willymakit 75 View Post
    Thanks Mark: But no problems here on recption. Sorry I hurt your feelings,I will try and be a KINDER ,GENTLIER PERSON.
    My feelings weren't hurt. I wanted to address something, in a constructive way, that I keep seeing recur on this forum for some strange reason.

But, thanks, no worries and no problems at all dood!
    I did reprogram *228, my phone today..maybe that'll help.
    But honestly, , I don't actually TALK on my phone much.
    Galaxy S4
    Tab 2

rootless
    Banned

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

My reception with the X has been excellent. 3G is fast, voice quality excellent. In a low signal area I travel through once a week, the X was showing a -120dBm, like WOW!!! No bars, no nothing.

The same area I travel with the Inc I show a -105dBm. Again, no bars, nothing.

For those brief few minutes with the X I was still able to receive calls. WOW! Not so much with the Inc.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

I have noticed a slight decrease in signal strength with my X vs. my original Droid. But I'm also having other problems like locking up and issues with data and texts not working at times. My rep at the Verizon store ordered me a brand new one, but of course I won't have it for a bit so I'll make mine works till then. My friend got one on release day like I did and his is flawless so I just got a dud I guess.
    Moto X
    iPhone 5S

I think that I have had 3G from day 1 of getting my phone..Seems to get better reception than my old bb storm..

My original X that was replaced for freezing issues got full 4 bars in my house at all times. The replacement they sent me has some issues but is getting replaced as well. This phone has some electrical things going on that I think is the problem. This one drops its data quite a bit and only gets 2 bars in my house. My app drawer freaks out and all of my icons come together and the screen appears to be shaking. I then noticed that it is "buzzing" me. It seriously feels like you are shaking someones hand that has one of those prank buzzer things in their hand. I am confident/hopeful that the new one they are sending me will be much better and I've just had bad luck.
    My phone is....Incredible!
    hub

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

I upgraded from a Storm 2 last about 10 days ago and found immediately that I could no longer make calls from my home. I spent hours with tech support and also replaced the first phone. It works other places by not at my house. I never had that problem until now. A friend told me on Saturday that he had the same problem when he got his X. He went to the Verizon store in his area (about 100 miles from me) and the tech guy there knew a man who manages the towers for Verizon. They called him and he sent a programming change to the phone OTA, so that it would look for Alltel towers as well as Verizon towers. He was told that most Verizon droid phones only look for Verizon towers (he did not explain why). Anyway, within 15 minutes he started getting 4 bars at his house which has continued from that day on.

Today I am going to look into this. Wouldn't it be great if that fixed my problem?

I'll let you folks know if it works or not.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

My wife and I both have the DX, but if we place our phones side by side, my reception is stronger all the time. We have the same setup. Rooted, Tranquility 3.0 rom.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Drroooiiiiddddd

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sense 3.5

Keep in mind, unless they've fine tuned everything, the "bars" of signal strength aren't always completely accurate. For the best accuracy, you want to look at your signal strength in -dBm. My phone will say I have one bar, then I'll look and I have -70dBm and no issues with calls or data speeds.