Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sign-up for Motorola Droid X 2.2 Email Updates

Sup all,

Motorola posted a thread today that is claiming to contain future updates for Froyo for our awesome Droid X's and that if you want to get updates on the dime you should become a member and follow the thread for instant email notifications.

I figure if there's going to be any place to find exact and non-rumor based information regarding 2.2 for our phones its going to be this thread. Check it out and be sure to at least bookmark it:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/34937

Edit: by the way, I suspect that in the coming days we'll be hearing about updates. Even if they originally said "by early September" I get the feeling they're close enough that they can start releasing information very soon.
    Last edited by DaRkL3AD3R; 08-16-2010 at 06:41 PM.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

I figure that when I click on about phone,then check for updates.............Then thats when I know it is OFFICAL.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Willymakit 75 View Post
    I figure that when I click on about phone,then check for updates.............Then thats when I know it is OFFICAL.
    Thats when its officially OUT. This thread is about OFFICIAL WORD on when it will BE out

Its hard word straight from the makers on exactly whats happening with our update. No more of this "August! Now August 6th! Now wait, August 12th! Er... August 15th?..... maybe late August??"

If theres real information regarding when it hits it will be in that thread. If you are content with waiting until the day you can press Check for Updates and see it available then obviously reading up and knowing ahead of time when it will be available is not for you.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Willymakit 75 View Post
    I was thinking about turning Wifi on and having the phone check for updates overnight hoping I may see the option of installing Froyo next morning.

Says to click on the Receive Email Notifications button... uh? Either I'm blind... or there is no button.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    Says to click on the Receive Email Notifications button... uh? Either I'm blind... or there is no button.
    It's a forum, so you need to sign up first...

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Very true,I have been hurt to many times before by lies and false hopes of updates gone by.....Sitting at home alone night after lonley night. As you can tell I am just picking. And bye the way how come you want people to thank you all the time? LOL

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Actually Motorola is only one of the gates. The standard release process:

Google works on code with all their vendors. Eventually they release vanilla 2.2.

Vendors take 2.2 and incorporate it into their phones, adding whatever customizations, tweaks, and mediation layers they need (for example, working HDMI support into it).

Vendors (eg, Motorola) release this custom image to Verizon who starts testing it. After back and forth Verizon decides which build to release and when.

Granted, things aren't as serialized as I describe, Motorola likely had started the Froyo integration process before Froyo was declared properly frozen. Motorola may release Froyo today and Verizon may not approve until October. For multi-carrier phones it's even worse since other carriers may release earlier (and you get it sooner) or later (and you may get a more stable build), but Verizon's a special case since most of the rest of the world is GSM.

A nice link and the close ties between Verizon and Moto on the X strengthen it, but remember it's Verizon who has the final say as to when.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

I think you are spot on, jdbower. At least that was the way it seemed with the Storm headaches....

And DaRkL3AD3R, shame on you. You got me excited like a little school girl when I saw the title of this thread....

Global Posts
    7,671 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    It's a forum, so you need to sign up first...

I wish you didnt have to sign up to see the button , lol

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

It is a depressing thread, it's a non-rumor about when the the date WILL be, not that it is out yet....

I was all excited for nothing....
    Go Droid or Go Home!

Thanks guys, now that all of you have signed up. I don't have too. I'm sure YOU will post again about the update. Hope it's soon as my buddies D1 with 2.2 is sweet, and my X should blow that thing away.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Sorry if you got disappointed I saw it on the Motorola forums and got disappointed too haha

After the initial disappointment washed away and I thought about it seriously it occurred to me that this is actually a great thing. No more rumors, solid concrete information not just regarding dates but probably whats being incorporated into Froyo (bug fixes ahem) and its coming straight from the Moto people themselves. It's really a blessing in disguise. Once some more info gets released through here I'm sure people will start to feel better.

Willymakit75 I don't post those two lines every time, its my signature and it appears in every post I make. I usually put a lot of thought and effort into my responses to people asking for help, so to see them go out of THEIR way (hardly) to click a button saying Thank You lets me know that hey I helped someone, and thats all I need in return for my assistance.

Oh and the button to Receive Notifications requires you to sign up to the forums. Thats why I said in the very least bookmark it so you can get quick reference without signing up.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Hope this helps the count.

Sit back, relax, enjoy your phone, and before you know it, you'll have 2.2. All this speculating is a waste of time.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by fishngrits View Post
    Sit back, relax, enjoy your phone, and before you know it, you'll have 2.2. All this speculating is a waste of time.
    WELL SAID.

Default re: Sign-up for Motorola Droid X 2.2 Email Updates

I am more interested in any bug fixes that may be incorporated into the update especially about the volume issue.

They made the announcement about a volume fix but was unclear about what was included in said fix and never answered when questioned about it so I am looking forward to that kind of info being released.

It is nice they made a dedicated thread for it and hopefully means they are ready to release info soon even if the actual update does end up being in September. Some kind of info and details would help a lot of people decide whether our not to keep the phone and put a lot of other minds at ease. I for one want the release just to see what is going to be fixed but if I know ahead of time I would have zero problem waiting.

I actually have a lot of faith in moto with the x being their current flagship I really think they will try to fix most issues. They may never get rid of the blur but I think they will try to smooth it out and fix some bugs. It's a new device with a new ui so it may just take some time and I hope I am right and that the wait is worth it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Galaxy Nexus!!! Finally Mine
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by CBCstillmatic View Post
    It is nice they made a dedicated thread for it and hopefully means they are ready to release info soon even if the actual update does end up being in September.
    This is exactly what I took from this post and is why I made this thread. It means not only will we have hard concrete information on the release, this also says that they're preparing to release said information. Its exciting and just takes a wee bit more patience... hang on guys...

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

If Android builds it... we will download...
    Go Droid or Go Home!
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

I was already a member there, so it only took a second to push that button. I'll take all the info I can get.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

I kinda find the title miss leading. Got my heart racing thanking 2.2 has gone live for the X. Oh well back to dl a 3gb file on my x.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Hmm Cory you mind changing the thread title? I don't want to mislead people

It was tough to figure out what to name it because it is an official thread containing updates on 2.2 hahaha

I'll leave this one up to you.
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Done.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Much, much better.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Yes thank you very much. Hopefully that clears things up ahead of time :P