Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Barnacle WiFi Tether, can you make it secure?

Hey guys. I rooted my DX (dunno why I was so hesitant about it...probably the easiest tech related thing I've ever done on a phone) and downloaded Barnacle WiFi Tether. I plan on being at the beach and won't have instant access to internet while at the beach house so I figured the WiFi Tether app would be good while saving me some cash...because despite the fact I'm on vacation, I'll have some work to do, I'm a slave to corporate business America I know.

Anyway, here's my question to you guys. Is there a way to make it secure? The material is a tad bit sensitive and figured I'd better be safe than sorry.

If there isn't a way, does the WiFi tethering through Verizon offer a secure way? If so, I'll just cough up the extra few bucks for the piece of mind.

TIA guys.

Global Posts
    750 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Through Verizon you can secure the WiFi, but you'll want to secure from your PC anyway. A VPN to your corporate office will secure things for you better than WiFi can, and it will work once it gets onto the Internet as well.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by jdbower View Post
    Through Verizon you can secure the WiFi, but you'll want to secure from your PC anyway. A VPN to your corporate office will secure things for you better than WiFi can, and it will work once it gets onto the Internet as well.
    Yeah we use VPN when working remotely, I'm not too privy on IT, just the basics.

So you're saying I'm ok to use Barnacle as the VPN will get me nice and secure?

Are you just looking for a secure connection between your dx and a laptop? If so, there is a free wifi tether app in the marketplace that lets you set what type of wireless encryption you want. I think it's called "wireless tether" out something like that.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post
    Are you just looking for a secure connection between your dx and a laptop? If so, there is a free wifi tether app in the marketplace that lets you set what type of wireless encryption you want. I think it's called "wireless tether" out something like that.
    Nice I'll look into it.

EDIT: I just noticed that Barnacle allows you to set encryption. Now I feel like an *****.

Global Posts
    750 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Essentially you'll be double-encrypted. Encryption on the WiFi is nice, but your VPN is the primary layer. Even with unprotected WiFi they can't see any data in your VPN tunnel, but with protection they can't see anything outside your tunnel either.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)

Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

You could just use EasyTether, or a wired tether.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by jdbower View Post
    Essentially you'll be double-encrypted. Encryption on the WiFi is nice, but your VPN is the primary layer. Even with unprotected WiFi they can't see any data in your VPN tunnel, but with protection they can't see anything outside your tunnel either.
    Ahh gotcha, thanks for the useful info.

Just tried out the wireless tether through Barnacle and tested to see if my WEP ID. Works beautifully. Figured I may as well protect what I may be doing outside of my VPN tunnel too.

Thanks again for all the advice guys.