Battery Profile = Great Battery life!!!

GynormousMellon#AC

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I have been struggling with about 12 hours of battery life before I have to recharge each day. I've most likely been using the internet more then I ever did on my Curve since the X is so fast:) I tried all the suggestions about improving battery life...reducing brightness, reducing the amount of time X checks for new email etc.

Three days ago, I found a setting under battery manager. Performance Mode, Smart Mode and Battery Saver Mode. The default setting was Smart Mode. I changed mine to Battery saver Mode and after three days at this setting, after 17 hours of use each day, I still have 30-40% battery left on average each day!!!!!! I'm NOT running any task killer programs and I DO have live wallpaper running.

I have not noticed any performance difference in the Battery Saver Mode. Still get all my emails and the X seems just as fast whenever I'm doing anything on it from apps to internet to mail etc.

Anyone else tried this or have any ideas what the different modes are?

Thanks

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
To tell the difference of what each mode does, choose that mode, and then go to 'Battery Profile Options' and the settings are different for each mode. Performance Mode doesn't have any timeout settings.

doctorlove316

Retired Moderator
Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It looks like Battery Saver Mode just disables any data connections after 30min of inactivity.

According to the Battery Saver Mode Profile Options,

"Your phone will attempt to save as much battery as possible by managing your data connections when not connected to a charger.

- Turn off data connections after 30 minutes of inactivity.

- Do not allow data exchange over Wi-Fi while the cellular data connection is off.

And you can change your default Brightness."

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I have had issues with my data coming back on after I start using phone again. Also gtalk will not work, only texts, calls maybe sync emails.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
If your data connections are turned off after 30 minutes of inactivity, doesn't that mean you wouldn't get any text messages until you activate your DX again by doing some activity?

That sounds like it could be problematic. You who have tried it, any indications of issues with incoming texts?

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
sms and calls don't use data

Correct, but email notifications may not get through until you wake your phone up. I used battery saver mode for a week or so, but after taking the screen of of "Auto" and using the GPS bug workaround coupled with JuiceDefender I'm getting more than enough life with the Smart profile.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I really think one of two things is going on here with the "Battery Saver" profile. Either it is turning off something else other than data which is leading to improved life, or the battery meter is inaccurate.

GynormousMellon#AC

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I still seem to be getting all of my emails even if I don't touch my X for over 45 minutes. And that's a tough thing to do. I'm still getting through a 16 to 17 hour day on the same charge with no problem

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
After flirting with JuiceDefender for a few days, and finding that eventually it actually DECREASED my battery life, I went back to good ol' Battery Saver Mode and easily get a day of moderate usage out of my phone (<1hr browsing, 30-40 texts, reading about 20 emails each day, <20min phone calls, Droid2 live wallpaper, GPS turned OFF unless needed for maps, and WiFi whenever possible)

EDIT: I cant realistically go 2 days without charge, but i usually like to top off my phone before I go to bed or in the morning so that I start the day fresh. I don't leave it on the charger overnight unless I'm down below like 40%. It charges pretty quickly regardless though, so I don't like it sitting on the charger in excess of 6 or 7 hours at night.

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I received my Droid X on the second day the phone came out and I have been using the Battery Saver mode because it was more helpful to me than Smart mode. Disabling data connection prevents the phone from always trying to connect to internet to find resources for apps running in the background. This is great for me when I'm at work and don't need to use my phone for the web and I can let my phone sit idle. I haven't noticed any lag and my phone seems to run more smoothly. The battery compared to other smartphones I have used is fantastic, but when and if Froyo arrives, it'll improve the battery even more hopefully.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed that the "Battery Saver" profile in 2.2 (I have the leaked version) is now 15 min instead of 30. I use that profile anyway, but I still have 50% battery left after 24 hours off the charger. I do have the extended battery though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34