Droid X won't boot up - white light at USB port

Hans Dampf1

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello everybody,

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere - I couldn't find a thread with the same problem.

I had my phone plugged in to the wall the other night and then my alarm went off I picked it up and it shut off. After that it wouldn't turn on anymore.

When I plug it into the computer or the wall, nothing happens, except the little white light next to the USB port comes on.
After a while I found out that by fiddling with the battery and the wall charger cable (no reliable steps to reproduce), I can have the charger plugged in without the white light being on and when I insert the battery afterwards, the phone will power on (once in a while).

When it's on it seems to be working fine, but as soon as I pull the cable, it dies again. When it is running, the red notification/charging light is on, as well as the white USB one.
The problem is it says the charge is at 5% and this will not change, no matter how long it has been plugged in.

What else I have tried:
- different battery (OEM)
- different charger (OEM, 750mA)
- factory reset
- leaving it plugged in/charging forever

Does anybody have any idea?

Thank you!

Hans Dampf1

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately so far I have only been able to get the device to boot at all when connected to the charger. I'll keep trying though and see if there is any way I can get RSD to connect.

Update:
It actually seems like when I use a charger with a higher Ampere rate (e.g. Apple, 1A) I can pretty reliably get it to power. Plug in cord with battery removed. Insert battery. The white light will turn off and the Motorola logo comes on. However, with this charger the device doesn't boot fully, but turns off after a couple seconds.
It appears the wall charger together with the battery jump starts the device. Still not luck getting it to turn on connected to the computer.

Update 2:
I can get to the Bootloader with the charger, but I get the message: Bootloader 2C.7C Battery Low Cannot program"

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately so far I have only been able to get the device to boot at all when connected to the charger. I'll keep trying though and see if there is any way I can get RSD to connect.

Update:
It actually seems like when I use a charger with a higher Ampere rate (e.g. Apple, 1A) I can pretty reliably get it to power. Plug in cord with battery removed. Insert battery. The white light will turn off and the Motorola logo comes on. However, with this charger the device doesn't boot fully, but turns off after a couple seconds.
It appears the wall charger together with the battery jump starts the device. Still not luck getting it to turn on connected to the computer.

Update 2:
I can get to the Bootloader with the charger, but I get the message: Bootloader 2C.7C Battery Low Cannot program"

you can bypass the battery with a TBH Factory Cable Adapter
then you can flash sbf with rsd lite

Hans Dampf1

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Wow. I feel like a complete *****. The phone I have here is actually not a Droid X, but a first generation Droid (A855). Not that I think this will change a whole lot, but I really should have figured this out sooner. Can somebody move this thread to the right forum?

sd_shadow - thank you for all your help. I will try that and see.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
yes, I should have noticed the bootloader version
the sbf file you need is different, but steps to flash are the same

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2

Hans Dampf1

May 13, 2013
Visit site
So I got a factory cable and was able to successfully flash this file: droid_froyo_frg22d_1ff_signed. However, the behavior hasn't changed. The phone will boot up nicely when connected with the factory cable, but as soon as I pull the cable, it shuts off. Also, when it is running it says "Connect charger"; probably because per the phone the battery level is 5%.

Any additional ideas - or different files I should try?

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
pull battery, wait 15- 20 secs, replace battery, connect wall charger, not pc
does it show charging screen?

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2

Hans Dampf1

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately no. When I plug in the wall charger, only the little white LED next to the USB port comes on. Then I have to remove the battery and replace it. At that point the white LED turns off and the device boots up. When it is up it will say "Charging", but the percentage never goes above 5%. :(

Looks like it might be hardware after all, huh? Drat!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress