1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Blackberry?????

Just ordered the Droid X. I am in love with blackberry, but not RIM. Any advice???? I already miss it and it aint gone yet

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts

If you love it so much why are you getting the x?

Quote Originally Posted by kj11aw View Post
    If you love it so much why are you getting the x?

I second that.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

rim is blackberry...blackberry is rim......einhorn is finkle, finkle is einhorn.

RIM hardware- used to be good
    RIM software- was it ever any good?

Global Posts
    828 Global Posts

You do realize RIM IS BlackBerry? ...right?

Um, advice for leaving a BlackBerry for an Android. Hummm, you'll have all the apps available for BB and more. You'll have a better user experience. You'll probably use your device a bit more because it's more "entertainment" friendly than a BB is. So my advice is to set the BB down, cry a little, and then move on. It's not a step down or sideways. It's a step up. I own and use a DX and a Storm. The DX is my personal device and the Storm is my work device.
    Galaxy Note II - Rooted - Black Status Bar w/WiFi Toggle

ROM
    GummyJar 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by tony bag o donuts View Post
    rim is blackberry...blackberry is rim......einhorn is finkle, finkle is einhorn.

RIM hardware- used to be good
    RIM software- was it ever any good?
    Haha pet detective

Can this thread be closed? Useless. There are plenty of other Blackberry covert threads.

It seems I was one of the few people that was extremely happy with my Storm 2. The thing was basically flawless in operation except for the old battery pull every now and then.

The Droid X is simply better in almost every way to any Blackberry I've ever had or held. The only shortcoming is battery life and Exchange support.

The battery issues I've been able to mostly manage with a little tweaking. When I get an extended or super extended battery this shouldn't be problem anymore.

The Exchange fix was simple. Just throw money at the problem. $19.99 for the Touchdown app solved all my problems (this was before I heard about Motorola giving out free licenses). In fact, Touchdown receives emails faster than any Blackberry using BIS I've ever seen.

I was holding out hope for Blackberry OS6, but after becoming familiar with the X and Android I'm massively underwhelmed by the Torch and OS6.

Long story short... I loved my Blackberry and I don't regret the change.
    Jeff

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu_1 View Post
    It seems I was one of the few people that was extremely happy with my Storm 2. The thing was basically flawless in operation except for the old battery pull every now and then. ....(edited)
    I too love my Storm 2. IF BB's phones were 3/4 as fast as an DX I probably wouldn't jump ship. I may pull the battery once a month but I never turn it off otherwise. The browser is just not usable in real-world situations. Applications run great, they are just slow as mud. I don't use it for business email and my personal email is Gmail.
    Jiggy's sporting a Droid X!

Ordered 8/6 the first time. Order never happened.
    Re-ordered 8/23. Drop Dead ship date is Sept 7th.
    Notified 9/1 that it's on the way... 9/3 by 7:00pm.
    Delivered 9/3 at 2:43!!

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM4DXGB, Stock Rooted,

Quote Originally Posted by Stang68 View Post
    Can this thread be closed? Useless. There are plenty of other Blackberry covert threads.
    But if they're covert we're not supposed to know they exist!
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." ~ D.N.A.

Quote Originally Posted by blackberry manual View Post
    Just ordered the Droid X. I am in love with blackberry, but not RIM. Any advice???? I already miss it and it aint gone yet
    I loved my s2, but like you said NOT RIM. I switched to the original droid. and realized all i was doing was making excuses before to defend my s2. this thing is so much faster, better looking IMO. No battery pulls, ever! I have not had to make threads because of issues im having, just threads with basic questions. Updates are done in minutes, not hours. Boot time is amazing. You wont be dissapointed.

The switch is easy if you have google sync on the BB.

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Be patient and give Android a shot. There are going to be immediate frustrations and annoyances. You are going to miss BB features but will slowly find ways to use you Android that make it superior.

Even after your patience there are things that the BB is just better at ... but Android can do so much more that it is doubtful you will go back.

Global Posts
    6,704 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Quote Originally Posted by blackberry manual View Post
    LOL I sure don't miss blackberry/RIM not one bit . What is ya Krazy ? , LOL I haven't looked back not even looked over my shoulder

Hey if you wana I trade ya my old 8330 for that X even up then you can have a berry again , lol

My Storm 2 was the best phone I ever owned, until I got the X. My S2 ran great and never gave me any trouble. The X just does it all better, smoother and faster. Just remember that it's NOT a bb, so there will be some things that you might find alternative solutions for...like Dialer One (free) for a telephone app that searches for contacts similar to how bb did it. The android os offers you many ways to do things (via a huge assortment of apps) that bb never did.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

I like Android but hate Google.

i love lamp.

you have 30 days to try out your x. unless you are extremely dependent on BBM or BES, there isn't much the blackberry can do that android can't do (and in most cases, better) but it all comes down to what you need your phone to do for you.

to me, the blackberry is an excellent (and unsurpassed) messaging device. but once you try out something like android, you find out how much more useful your phone can be outside of messages and email.

RIM's hands are pretty tied with their OS because of their true userbase. it's been stated many times (and accurately i think) that they are in the same place microsoft was with winmo, but i don't see RIM making as drastic of a change as ms did with wp7. we'll see what happens with the blackpad, but i see more stuff like OS6 happening than anything like wp7. rim will remain a business phone and OS, we'll just have to see what place that will have in the modern smartphone market.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I know RIM is Blackberry. What I was trying to say was that I have had a blackberry and my storm 2 actually worked well for me. I just am tired of RIM and there inabilty to come out with a product that is compatible with what other phones are making. I guess what I am looking for is from someone coming over to android.
    1. what do bb heads miss most, and what droid apps cover this need?
    2. anyone miss there bb?

Global Posts
    6,704 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

ok,
    1. nothing , ........... wait ....ok the spining hour glass,lol , pS:Beautiful Wigets covers my weather info , used berryWeather on my curve that was the only app I used towards the end of blackberry days, BBm was a memory Hog on the 8330 running OS 5.0.0.230(leaked) also OS shrunked.
    2.no, see answer 1
    Last edited by davidnc; 08-25-2010 at 04:34 AM.

1. I'd gotten used to the sound profiles on my Blackberrys. I'd change them a couple times a day to turn on or off vibrate, turn all sounds off, and set "phone only" when I plugged the phone into its dock on my nightstand for the night. The free app "Profiles" handles this pretty well. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't automatically run at startup.

2. I did at first. I had both the X and Storm 2 running at the same time. I finally had to just turn the Storm 2 off and leave it at home. Make a clean break. At first it was a little painful, change always is, but eventually I think you'll find (like many people here did) that the X and Android are WAY better than Blackberry.
    Jeff

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by gafly View Post
    You do realize RIM IS BlackBerry? ...right?
    Actually, RIM (Research in Motion) is a company and BlackBerry is there branded product.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

I miss the sleeper magnet (seriously). It was ingenius idea as well as charging pods to save on wear and tear on the usb ports.

I think BB as the standard for messaging will end in the near future.
    Widgets and multiple screens help me out more than hitting the BB button, opening the app, etc.

Global Posts
    828 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mister869 View Post
    Actually, RIM (Research in Motion) is a company and BlackBerry is there branded product.
    I'm fully aware BlackBerry is a branded product of RIM and still say that RIM IS BlackBerry. BlackBerry is RIM's ONLY consumer product line (Emphasis on Only).

NWA Inc. was the name of the company that owned and operated Northwest Airlines before The merger with DAL. Would it be wrong to say that Northwest Airlines IS NWA Inc.? No, it wouldn't be wrong. Would it be wrong to say "I like Northwest Airlines but hate NWA Inc."? Yes, it is wrong to say that.
    Galaxy Note II - Rooted - Black Status Bar w/WiFi Toggle

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gafly View Post
    "I like Northwest Airlines but hate NWA Inc."? Yes, it is wrong to say that.
    I love semantic detours like this, but I think the OP's point is that they typically like the BlackBerry OS and experience, but are frustrated with RIM's plans to update and advance the platform. Through minor incremental updates and underwhelming hardware, RIM is losing support fast, even among people who like the platform. Hence the OP likes BlackBerry but is disappointed with RIM. Even though BB is RIM's only consumer product, I think the OP's distinction between the product and the company is valid.

On-topic, I had a couple of those 'hey, how do I do this' or 'my BB did this, why can't the Droid X' moments early on, but they quickly disappeared as I got more comfortable with Android and found suitable replacements for BB functionality.

On the whole, the e-mail experience is far superior for me. All of my accounts are Google-based (several apps for domains accounts), and there's just no question that Android does gmail light years better than RIM's native implementation.

The only thing I really missed (I got over BBM immediately) was the profiles, and as someone else mentioned, there's a free app that mimics that functionality simply called Profiles. I used it and it was fine, but after a factory reset for an unrelated issue, I just never reinstalled it. I just dropped toggles for Vibrate and Silent on the home screen from beatiful widgets. As for 'phone calls only', well, if I decide I really need that I'll download Profiles again.

I basically haven't even thought about my BlackBerry since day two of owning this phone, to be honest. It's just light years beyond in every single way. Almost everything is completely customizable, it's lightning fast, there are so many awesome apps and tons of them are free, and the device itself is extremely well made.

Battery life isn't as good, but I'm fine with the charge I get. There are a zillion threads on improving battery life, and the extended battery is always an option.

You won't miss your Berry very much once you get used to Android, I promise.