1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP, Stock

Default Average available memory

Just wanting to see how mine compares, I am on a non rooted 2.2. Current average is probably 150 with no apps running... I feel it should be higher.

It seems to drop lower and lower through out the day even though I'm milking apps.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP, Stock

average is actually 120ish :/

Available: 14MB+135MB in 28
    Other: 114MB in 10

Ehh, they did a really good job creating a memory management system within Android. I am not too concerned about available memory. The phone runs smoothly whenever I go to use it.

Worrying about "free" or available memory is pointless on a modern OS.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

There's plenty of RAM in the phone. In fact, 512MB is plenty - not to mention you have over 6GB of space dedicated to apps. Don't worry about the memory and just enjoy the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by schizrade View Post
    Worrying about "free" or available memory is pointless on a modern OS.
    exactly. the only time you really need to even look into it is if you notice the system running poorly after installing a new app or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Adiliyo View Post
    exactly. the only time you really need to even look into it is if you notice the system running poorly after installing a new app or something.
    Exactly. Poor coding creating memory leaks.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP, Stock

Default Re: Average available memory

Don't mean to bump this, but just noticed I put "milking apps" lmao thanks Swype!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

my phone hovers around 55mb free and forces me to run a task killer and to kill off 9000 stupid apps that i don't want open.

So I'm forced to worry about my free memory.
    perhaps if this "modern OS" did a better job, i wouldn't need to
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP, Stock

I uninstalled ATK after reading this thread and the phone actually runs better. I am on 2.2 though so it does do a better job managing apps than 2.1.

Quote Originally Posted by dvader View Post
    my phone hovers around 55mb free and forces me to run a task killer and to kill off 9000 stupid apps that i don't want open.

So I'm forced to worry about my free memory.
    perhaps if this "modern OS" did a better job, i wouldn't need to
    Trust me, you don't need a task killer. There is a lot of under the hood stuff for managing how applications sit in memory and what priority they have.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP, Stock

Yeah really, I ran Quadrant with ATK killing apps and then ran it again once ATK uninstalled and rebooted phone. Left it running for an hour or so to test how stock OS manages apps and I got exact same Quadrant score as with ATK.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiyaman156 View Post
    Trust me, you don't need a task killer. There is a lot of under the hood stuff for managing how applications sit in memory and what priority they have.
    my experience with this phone (and my wifes) is that i do.
    my phone hits below 60mb every day. and becomes sluggish.
    so i have to fire up a task killer and i can clearly see 15 + apps, that i do not want to run and have not started or have closed that are still in memory.
    so i have to close them.

my phone then acts normal again.. for a while..
    until it hits below 60mb again. and i repeat.
    it doesn't fix itself. perhaps on your setup it does, but not on mine or my wifes DX.

I'm not running an "auto" task killer and just blindly killing off random processes.
    for some reason everyone thinks that if you run a task killer that is what you are doing.
    that is not what i'm doing.
    i am manually killing off things, like amazon mp3, city id, skype.. etc etc.. crap that i didn't start and that is just eating up memory on my phone.
    when enough of this junk starts up, my phone dips below 60mb and then becomes very sluggish, sometimes unresponsive.
    i manually go in and kill off the stuff that doesn't need to run and the phone goes back to normal.
    Last edited by dvader; 08-27-2010 at 11:33 AM.

my experience with this phone (and my wifes) is that i do.
    my phone hits below 60mb every day. and becomes sluggish.
    so i have to fire up a task killer and i can clearly see 15 + apps, that i do not want to run and have not started or have closed that are still in memory.
    so i have to close them.

my phone then acts normal again.. for a while..
    until it hits below 60mb again. and i repeat.
    it doesn't fix itself. perhaps on your setup it does, but not on mine or my wifes DX.

I'm not running an "auto" task killer and just blindly killing off random processes.
    for some reason everyone thinks that if you run a task killer that is what you are doing.
    that is not what i'm doing.
    i am manually killing off things, like amazon mp3, city id, skype.. etc etc.. crap that i didn't start and that is just eating up memory on my phone.
    when enough of this junk starts up, my phone dips below 60mb and then becomes very sluggish, sometimes unresponsive.
    i manually go in and kill off the stuff that doesn't need to run and the phone goes back to normal.
    It is going to go below 60MB all the time. That is how the memory management works on the Android OS. Unlike other operating systems (Windows and BB OS for example), Android does not require that memory is actually "free" in order to run.

As for the sluggishness, it is either caused by the phone having to reopen the programs your forcefully closed, or there is an application on your phone that is causing the problem. I currently have 31MB totally free and 165MB in 46 threads and my phone is running dandy. In fact, 31MB is one of the higher values I have seen lately.

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

Forgive a newb question. Can someone explain how memory is listed, and what the breakdown really means?
    I look in Running Services and see:
    Avail: 17MB +135MB in 25 Other: 118MB in 9

Now I am not concerned with memory management like I was on a storm, but instead curious and just trying to see how to read it.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Saiyaman156 View Post
    It is going to go below 60MB all the time. That is how the memory management works on the Android OS. Unlike other operating systems (Windows and BB OS for example), Android does not require that memory is actually "free" in order to run.

As for the sluggishness, it is either caused by the phone having to reopen the programs your forcefully closed, or there is an application on your phone that is causing the problem. I currently have 31MB totally free and 165MB in 46 threads and my phone is running dandy. In fact, 31MB is one of the higher values I have seen lately.
    any idea then why below 60mb seems to be the magic bullet?
    anything above, phone runs fine..
    anything below and the phone is a dog, sometimes unresponsive.

any idea then why below 60mb seems to be the magic bullet?
    anything above, phone runs fine..
    anything below and the phone is a dog, sometimes unresponsive.
    It could be sign that there is a program one that uses a lot of CPU power or something like that. Maybe a widget. Memory should never be an issue on any device including a computer until it gets to Zero or a program is opened that is trying to use more then available amount. Its just the way it works on all electronics.

Instead of using ATK or such might want to use that one that can control the bare minimum memory that Android has available before it starts to turn programs off. Might just be called auto killer. It allows Android to decide what to kill just lets you decide what memory amount it should start doing so.

ROM
    Liquid Smooth v2.0 Beta2

Quote Originally Posted by wamphryi View Post
    Forgive a newb question. Can someone explain how memory is listed, and what the breakdown really means?
    I look in Running Services and see:
    Avail: 17MB +135MB in 25 Other: 118MB in 9

Now I am not concerned with memory management like I was on a storm, but instead curious and just trying to see how to read it.

Thanks!
    I'm wondering this as well. This is my first android phone and I'm coming from a BB Storm1 which clearly tells you how much memory is free, overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximaniac View Post
    I'm wondering this as well. This is my first android phone and I'm coming from a BB Storm1 which clearly tells you how much memory is free, overall.
    It means 17mb empty, 135mb is being used by 25 apps that can be shut down or put in the background to free up the space easily. So you can essentially look at these as your "psuedo" free memory, with the first number (17) being the REAL free memory.

118mb in 9 means 118mbs of memory is being allocated to system required apps that cannot be shut down.

The only thing I don't understand is why do these numbers always add up to ~380mb, when our phones have (even after considering a MB is 1024KB's, not 1000) 488MB of ram?

Where's the last ~120MB going?
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
    Thanked by:
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,517 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Mine never drops below 100.. and i have 125 apps
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

Thanks DaRk. Makes sense .
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    It means 17mb empty, 135mb is being used by 25 apps that can be shut down or put in the background to free up the space easily. So you can essentially look at these as your "psuedo" free memory, with the first number (17) being the REAL free memory.

118mb in 9 means 118mbs of memory is being allocated to system required apps that cannot be shut down.

The only thing I don't understand is why do these numbers always add up to ~380mb, when our phones have (even after considering a MB is 1024KB's, not 1000) 488MB of ram?

Where's the last ~120MB going?