not receiving Google Talk messages

lindycu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This issue started when I switched to the International (Global) data plan for a trip to Toronto Sunday and Monday.

Prior to Sunday, I had no problems with any part of my Droid X. However, on Sunday I noticed I was not receiving Google Talk messages. I can send them and see people online. My friends saw (see) me online. I switched back to the standard data plan on Tuesday but the problem persists.

I contacted Verizon, on two occassions, two different support agent said to uninstall GTalk. LOL

I have a replacement device coming tomorrow. My concern is that I believe it is something on Verizon's end. Am I wrong to think that? All other data and voice things work fine. And again, I can send IMs via GTalk.

They say I need to contact Google via email. But I insist that I bought hardware and service through Verizon and they should be the ones to troubleshoot this with Motorola and Verizon. If I had a BB (which I've owned) Verizon would contact RIM on my behalf. Why is this different?

Any ideas on what might be wrong? I've already tried to factory reset. I have also tested and confirmed I can send and receive on a PC. Lastly, if I do a GMail search "is:chat" the received messages show up in there.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
This issue started when I switched to the International (Global) data plan for a trip to Toronto Sunday and Monday.

Prior to Sunday, I had no problems with any part of my Droid X. However, on Sunday I noticed I was not receiving Google Talk messages. I can send them and see people online. My friends saw (see) me online. I switched back to the standard data plan on Tuesday but the problem persists.

I contacted Verizon, on two occassions, two different support agent said to uninstall GTalk. LOL

I have a replacement device coming tomorrow. My concern is that I believe it is something on Verizon's end. Am I wrong to think that? All other data and voice things work fine. And again, I can send IMs via GTalk.

They say I need to contact Google via email. But I insist that I bought hardware and service through Verizon and they should be the ones to troubleshoot this with Motorola and Verizon. If I had a BB (which I've owned) Verizon would contact RIM on my behalf. Why is this different?

Any ideas on what might be wrong? I've already tried to factory reset. I have also tested and confirmed I can send and receive on a PC. Lastly, if I do a GMail search "is:chat" the received messages show up in there.

BBM is device dependent. Gtalk is not. Heck being logged on with firefox on your desktop/laptop could keep communication from showing up.

lindycu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've confirmed in all cases that no other logins are active. I travel extensively and was not on my PC for most of the week.

What I refuse to believe is that Verizon thinks everything is fine and it's not their problem. It may have been something with the global data plan, but they are too ignorant to check or reset my account.

Otherwise, Motorola is blaming Google - so that means email/forum support which is unlikely since all the posts in the Google forum about this issue have no responses.

This issue seems to occur on other devices, but there isn't a way to trouble shoot it.

I will say that when I do log into GMail on my PC, Google Talk/Chat widget is rarely connecting or working. But how would one go about getting Google to look at my account? I refuse to set up a new account just to make this work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2