ok.. Just rooted my X. what did you do next?

jeepzilla

May 10, 2010
Visit site
The droid X is my first android phone.. i had a ton of blackberrys and
I came to the darkside and wish i did it long ago... OK so i just rooted with "easy root" downloaded adfree, busy box (what does that do?)
drocap (screen shot) and of course Wireless tether.... Now what?
please remember im new to all this sorry.... let the flames begin.

BrianTX

Jul 23, 2010
plus.google.com
I would recommend upgrading to froyo or under volting your processor. Both of these will extend your battery life. Instructions for both are in the hacks area of this forum.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
i would recommend titanium backup as well. allows you to completely back up your system

That is a very choice find! I've been looking for a backup program that would grab all of your settings. This is looking very much like a complete and total phone backup that bb's have.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I would also recommend to the op SetCPU and AutoKiller. Both will help you better manage memory and CPU to increase battery life (I always get a full day now). AutoKiller is NOT an ATK type of app. It basically lets you tell the OS what levels of available memory you want to maintain and then lets the Android OS manage when and which apps to close as needed. ATK can be bad news as it lets you close apps that either you, or it chooses. Sometimes this can result in closing things that the system really want to be running, causing and enless loop of starting/closing/starting/closing...bad for the battery. AutoKiller just says...hey system...we're getting low on RAM. Why don't you close some of this stuff that's not being used that you (the system) know is ok to close.

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
sorry for such a dumb question but i am new to droid also, but why would I root my DX

The answer could be long and the details beyond my level of expertise, but you should start by reading this thread here: http://www.androidcentral.com/root

For me, I wanted to be able to run a couple of programs to increase the daily life of my battery (mentioned in my post above) that you cannot run without rooting. I also wanted to be able to use my phone as a mobile hotspot to enable web access to pc's while in my truck (on a road trip for the kids), without adding another $20 per month to my already ridiculous bill. Finally, I just like having the freedom and control over the device that I paid for.

Bald Steve

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I would also recommend to the op SetCPU and AutoKiller. Both will help you better manage memory and CPU to increase battery life (I always get a full day now). AutoKiller is NOT an ATK type of app. It basically lets you tell the OS what levels of available memory you want to maintain and then lets the Android OS manage when and which apps to close as needed. ATK can be bad news as it lets you close apps that either you, or it chooses. Sometimes this can result in closing things that the system really want to be running, causing and enless loop of starting/closing/starting/closing...bad for the battery. AutoKiller just says...hey system...we're getting low on RAM. Why don't you close some of this stuff that's not being used that you (the system) know is ok to close.

I just installed Autokiller - Do I need to uninstall ATK now?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I just installed Autokiller - Do I need to uninstall ATK now?

I'm sure there are some out there that know ATK and the OS well, and can get good results using it, but my theory is that each newer device and OS does a better job than the last at managing memory. As a result, more conflicts can arise from you telling ATK to close things that the OS wants running. I've read too many post in the X forum about random reboots and sluggishness that were fixed after removing ATK, so I'm staying away from it. I believe it's a great program for some phones and in well informed hands, but I prefer the way that AutoKiller doesn't actually shut anything down itself, it just tells the OS to keep a certain amount of RAM free and lets the OS decide how best to do that. A better mouse trap in my humble opinion, with all due respect to the genius that created ATK.

tlane01

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Lets see:
- Autokiller already mentioned - Change the memory management makes a HUUUUGE difference in performance of the machine
- Autostarts - Lets you go in and change what bloatware apps are starting on the phone on startup.
- SetCPU - lets you change the cpu to 300 mhz when the screen is off. Another huge performance increase
- WifiTether - Why pay verizon 20 bucks a month when you can get it for free??
-Root Explorer - lets you move ( and/or remove completely ) the bloatware apps like CityID, VZWNavigator etc.
Those are the only ones i can think of off the top of my head atm.

jeepzilla

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Lets see:
- Autokiller already mentioned - Change the memory management makes a HUUUUGE difference in performance of the machine
- Autostarts - Lets you go in and change what bloatware apps are starting on the phone on startup.
- SetCPU - lets you change the cpu to 300 mhz when the screen is off. Another huge performance increase
- WifiTether - Why pay verizon 20 bucks a month when you can get it for free??
-Root Explorer - lets you move ( and/or remove completely ) the bloatware apps like CityID, VZWNavigator etc.
Those are the only ones i can think of off the top of my head atm.

is that stuff safe to remove?

Mahbles

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
While we're on the subject of rooting, is this how I can install all the cool themes and ROMs I'm seeing, such as the Cyanogen mod? Thanks for answering my noob questions!

legacy23

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
While we're on the subject of rooting, is this how I can install all the cool themes and ROMs I'm seeing, such as the Cyanogen mod? Thanks for answering my noob questions!

In a nutshell....you (or shall I say we) can't right now.....the bootloader is locked and they haven't come up with a way to bypass it and get roms on the X yet

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
is that stuff safe to remove?

I wouldn't say that it's unsafe, but it's most likely that you wont be able to install froyo until you both reinstall the bloat as well as reinstate each of the apps permissions. My perspective (and this is just my opinion) is... why remove anything? The 5 or 10 or 20 meg of space you gain means nothing in relation to the space that you have. The risk of screwing something up is too high for my chicken sh1t self. The only real advantage I see to removing bloat is that you don't have to look at their icons when you scroll through your app screen. Not a big deal for me. Besides, if there's nothing to complain about, it might get boring.

theanswer3

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I haven't removed anything just because I know we have a massive amount of storage in the phone and like the above poster said it really makes no difference. I have however renamed files I don't need or dont want running. That has made my X very responsive and very quick.

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Well ****. After reading this I have to wonder why I haven't rooted yet.

I really want to wait till 2.2..

I know once you update you can't root.... But with this "official" leak if your rooted before it stays no? Will we be able to keep it once the official one comes out?

Bald Steve

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Okay, here's my weekly this-phone-or-mini-tablet-really rules post.

I am new -completely new- to "tinkering" (amateur hacking?) and I can't believe what you can do with this device once you root. Some of the stuff I did yesterday:

1. Installed the donation version of Titanium Backup and froze all the bloat (EXCEPT back-up assiatant of course. Bricks = bad). This way all I have to do is unfreeze it when the Froyo update pushes to Droid X and I'm good to go. I'm not comfortable enough with the idea of renaming and moving the bloat files yet to take that step, though it has been thoroughly explained how to do it elsewhere in this forum. The best part: NO MORE CITY ID. You don't even see the bloat in the app drawer anymore, aside from Amazon MP3 for some reason.

2. Installed SetCPU and set the processor not to run faster than 300 MHz when the screen is off. Battery was around 60% when I did this around 2:00 pm yesterday and it ran until 2:00 am without another charging.

3. Uninstalled ATK, installed Autokiller (with Chuck Norris Mode enabled. Note: Ha ha), and turned it loose.

4. Downloaded NES, SNES, and PSX emulators. I'm going to install some ROMS today and see how that goes.

I'm doing a battery test today to see how it handles all these customizations. I pulled the DX off the charger at exactly 8:16 am this morning and am not going to use car charging or anything and run until it dies. According to Battery Indicator Pro I've got 32.24 hours of light usage, 14.24 hours of normal use, and 7.12 hours of heavy use. We shall see - I'll post updates.

Droid X (and Android OS) @#$%-ing rules, and rooting it opens up it's real capabilities. This device is sick.

morb10us

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Im new to droid as well and just learning about all this stuff. Sounds like rooting it is the way to go to really make this phone into the badass its supposed to be. Is rooting it easy? Does it void any warranties? What about os updates? Where do you find these apps after its rooted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze