1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid X App Screen sluggish

I am a first gen Iphone owner switching to the Droid X. I can definitely see the potential with Android.

I was thinking this Droid X was going to fly. I gotta say that I am disappointed with the app screen or app locker or whatever it's called. It gets so sluggish scrolling up and down through the icons. Is this normal? Is there a way to organize the apps into folders so that screen scrolls more smoothly? Sometimes the main screens scrolling left to right gets choppy at times too.

Couple of other nit picky complaints I have. The car dock app seems to be a waste to me. You can't get to a list of songs from the app when playing music. If you want to use the GPS for navigation to find the closet restaurant it's easier to back out of the car dock app and use the regular navigation software with has better search options.

I've got about a week and a half to decide if I am going to keep the phone. Not sure if the EVO is any better or if these are just general Android headaches that I have to get used to. Comments?

Global Posts
    828 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cadis12 View Post
    The car dock app seems to be a waste to me. You can't get to a list of songs from the app when playing music. If you want to use the GPS for navigation to find the closet restaurant it's easier to back out of the car dock app and use the regular navigation software with has better search options.
    What do you mean "use the regular navigation software"? You do know that when you click on the my location link in the car dock it goes to the screen that shows only your location and then gives you the option to go to Google Nav or Google Maps. When you click on one of those options it opens up "the regular navigation software" (as you call it) and you can search as usual.

As for your music issue.. just add the music app to the custom button and your problem will be solved.

...I am disappointed with the app screen or app locker or whatever it's called. It gets so sluggish scrolling up and down through the icons. Is this normal? Is there a way to organize the apps into folders so that screen scrolls more smoothly? Sometimes the main screens scrolling left to right gets choppy at times too.
    Few things:
    You could use a 3rd party launcher like Launcher Pro and your issues with the app drawer should be fixed. There is no way to organize the apps in the drawer into folders... this is a drawer of ALL installed apps. Launcher pro has a feature where you can chose to hide particular apps from the drawer but some of them will reappear when you use the app.

As for the main screens, keep it simple... you cannot have 7 screens full with a bunch of widgets and shortcuts and expect scrolling between the screens to be smooth all of the time. iPhones are very locked down and do not have a lot of the features that android devices do because they are battery and memory intensive ...and apple frowns upon features that are battery and memory hogs.
    Last edited by gafly; 08-27-2010 at 10:46 PM.
    Galaxy Note II - Rooted - Black Status Bar w/WiFi Toggle

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Download either 'LauncherPro' or 'ADW Launcher' (or another custom launcher) from the Android market and install them onto your phone. You'll notice that scrolling through the app list and homescreens will be a much smoother experience.

I think these manufacturers should look at the custom launchers in the market and take notes.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Unhappy

Just tried Launcherpro and ADW Launcher. Those launchers really improve the speed of the menus. It's a bummer cause you do lose the Motorola widgets.
    I like how it flips the screen horizontal and vertical on the home screen. I am only getting three home screens now. Is this a limitation of the free version?

So why is it that Motorola's stock launcher is so sluggish? It would seem they would have the best experience to lure customers.

Yesterday I met a guy who had the Droid 1. I asked to see his phone. His phone was nice and snappy. The App locker was not sluggish at all. He did have the new 2.2 OS and I didn't see a lot of apps installed. Only thing I noticed was Advanced Task Killer installed. I gotta say I was bummed out when I saw how fast his phone was scrolling.

So is this sluggishness something I will see on all Android phones or is this a Droid X thing. Is the HTC sense about the same experience?

My X is not sluggish at all (I do use LauncherPro), and my guess is that the guys Droid 1 that you played with has been tweaked with settings and apps to make it run smoother and quicker. I can tell you that my X is noticeably faster than my sons Droid 1 running 2.2. If you want to keep your X and have it run great, it can, but it almost sounds to me like you don't really want to like it..so don't, if that's the case. There are tons of great phones out there, but unless your a mechanical engineer and have your own manufacturing facility to build the exact phone you want, with the exact features you're looking for, you'll always have to accept that there are a few things in any phone that you'll have to settle for...compromise...it's inescapable.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

also, the droid1 does not use motorola's current version of blur (afaik) so being vanilla android, it should run smoother.

launcher pro lets you use motorola's widgets (and the paid version even lets you resize them) and i've been using it and the phone is 100x snappier than with the stock launcher.

What the anti-ATK nazis wont tell you is that once your well managed memory gets around 50mb, it indeed does get sluggish, and sometimes you need to go take an ax to some of the stupid stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Clemsonpablo View Post
    What the anti-ATK nazis wont tell you is that once your well managed memory gets around 50mb, it indeed does get sluggish, and sometimes you need to go take an ax to some of the stupid stuff
    Then use AutoKiller to keep the memory at a more comfortable level, that way Android chooses not you as to what to kill.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

Couple of other nit picky complaints I have. The car dock app seems to be a waste to me. You can't get to a list of songs from the app when playing music. If you want to use the GPS for navigation to find the closet restaurant it's easier to back out of the car dock app and use the regular navigation software with has better search options.

I hear you about the car dock. I ranted about this in another thread. Mostly the nav part. The my location button brings you to google maps which is different than google nav. Its obviously a stupid mistake in the OS that I hope they fix. I had to waste my custom button to get one button touch to nav from that dock. I wanted to use it for pandora but now I have to back out of the dock to so it. Waste.

Another thing is that in the instructions it says you can take out that little plastic back to help fit the X with a case on it. Id love to know what case they are talking about. Anything from verizon doesn't even come close to fitting and an after-market one I bought almost does it but not quite.

But you are right. Im glad someone else noticed this. Its almost worth more to just get something that holds your X snug in a window mount without activating that crappy car dock screen. You'd at least be able to keep the x in the case.

Global Posts
    828 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by albokay View Post
    I hear you about the car dock. I ranted about this in another thread. Mostly the nav part. The my location button brings you to google maps which is different than google nav. Its obviously a stupid mistake in the OS that I hope they fix. I had to waste my custom button to get one button touch to nav from that dock. I wanted to use it for pandora but now I have to back out of the dock to so it. Waste.
    There is no mistake here. When you click on my location in the car dock it opens Google Maps with a special overlay that is meant to ONLY display your current location and has a button to go back to the car dock, a button to hide traffic, a button to go to Google Nav and a button to go to Google Maps without the overlay. Use the custom button for whatever you want... having it set to nav is a waste.

Galaxy Note II - Rooted - Black Status Bar w/WiFi Toggle
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Just a quick follow-up.....

Purchased Launcherpro. Awesome program. The experience (in my mind) is 10X better then the stock Motorola experience.

Much happier now. Keeping the Droid X and moving forward. Buh-Bye iPhone!

Still think the Car Dock software is a piece of crap. Wish someone would rewrite something new for the car dock. I'd buy that!