Real HDMI app now in the market!

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd say go ask on the link I provided. Seems to be working for me, although I haven't tried to watch a movie or anything yet.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Spent a solid 30 minutes testing it out and I gotta say, it works. It's a bit buggy, and on 2.2 if you enable HDMI out and then press the back key to exit to the home-screen you get a force close. It seems to FC a lot... These force closes are intended. They're fail safes so that you never get stuck in HDMI out only and can't use your phone without a battery pull.

Simple workaround is to just press the Home button.

I also noticed colors are greatly washed out. Very bright.

As for screen scaling, it only outputs the resolution of the display. This means, 854x480. So if you try and set it to 1280x720p @60hz you end up with a little rectangle in your screen. If you set it to 640x480 you get full scale top to bottom, however you miss out on approx 214 pixels width wise. So 107 pixels are cut off from left side and then another 107 pixels cut off from the right side.

Not too sure what else can be done about this however I do want to say one thing. When you play emulators, set them to "scaled." This takes the original 320x240 resolution image and scales it up to 640x480, fitting your screen perfectly. So for the sake of playing Sega, NES and Gameboy games 480p is the perfect setting. For using the phone normally, you have to stick with 720p and the black bars along the top and sides (because it is rendering a 854x480 resolution image in a 1280x720 resolution window so to speak)

Otherwise it works great and I am one happy customer. This app can only get better from here fellas. This is what we Droid X owners deserved from Motorola from day 1. Let's all thank this amazing programmer for unlocking such a critical aspect of our phones for us by supporting him and buying this app. Every X owner should have a copy of this app.

Last edited:

derpudel

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I have an HDMI cable for the X, and have used it to view my photos on my HDTV, and it worked. What else could I use it for? I don't play games other than a few card games on my X.
I also have not tried to get movies on it. Maybe view videos?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
It lets you send whatever video and audio you see on your phone to your TV/Monitor.

Scenario:

You have a 60" HDTV with an HDMI port and a micro-HDMI cable for your phone.

You have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo.

You hook up phone to TV and bluetooth keyboard and mouse to phone.

You get this app and now you can sit on your couch, browse Youtube, read email, play games or watch movies... all from your phone...

This app when put in the right hands turns your phone into a pocket sized PC.

Reactions: PensHockey

albokay

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Does the screen on the phone dissapear when you hook up? How do you know where to touch when the cable is hooked up.

cant wait to get this going with NESoid and WiimoteControl.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Does the screen on the phone dissapear when you hook up? How do you know where to touch when the cable is hooked up.

cant wait to get this going with NESoid and WiimoteControl.

The screen sits showing the last frame before it kicked over to HDMI, so navigating the menu's via touch screen is hit or miss, its a guessing game. I am quite good at it but its a matter of knowing the feel of your phone to use it via touch.

NESoid and Wiimote Controller IME is amazing. I gotta say, hooking it up to an HDTV and then sitting back and playing games on the big screen off my phone is pretty much a dream come true :p

blunt420

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
So what your saying is if i had a hdmi cable which i ordered i can play whatever site video basically what's on this screen goes on tv screen right?? I hope so i bought it im a pawn star lolol haha

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
On mine, anytime a actual video starts to play, wether its youtube, gallery, or my sling app, it bumps the hdmi off. It will show these apps on the tv right up to the point video starts. This app needs alot of work!

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Ok, i got it to work with a couple of reboots. The sling app does work, but picture quality is bad. i think thats because the sling app keeps bandwidth low which in-turn effects picture quality. And u end up only utilizing abot 2/3rds of the screen which is designned into the x for some reason, not the apps fault....

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The app looks like it has a lot of promise, this is why I love Android - Jobs would have personally killed it from Apple's store. Hopefully they can mirror the displays eventually (does the VNC Server app do this?), but I don't know if it's possible to upconvert things to 720p. Perhaps Gingerbread has this capability?

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It lets you send whatever video and audio you see on your phone to your TV/Monitor.

Scenario:

You have a 60" HDTV with an HDMI port and a micro-HDMI cable for your phone.

You have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo.

You hook up phone to TV and bluetooth keyboard and mouse to phone.

You get this app and now you can sit on your couch, browse Youtube, read email, play games or watch movies... all from your phone...

This app when put in the right hands turns your phone into a pocket sized PC.

That's all great but if I'm in front of a 60" tv I'm probably at home, where my PC is.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Scenarios for my are multiple, and not always fancy. I could be at my parents and want to show off not just videos of their granddaughter from my phone's native media, but from you-tube or other sources as well over the internet - sure, I could also have them watch it on a laptop, but a TV is better. Or later one of the kids wants to watch a movie while the adults are doing boring adult stuff; if there aren't any good movies in house or on TV (or heck, if the DVD/VCR/Blu-ray player isn't hooked up) I can play one of the standbyes from my phone on their tv; sure, it's not as good as the big-screen Blu-ray driven home theater at my house, but it gets the job done.

It's the flexibility I want; to be able to use the phone to make better use of the media I've purchased or have created but stored off phone. It makes the HDMI port back into the strong selling point it was for me when I was researching the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay