Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Real HDMI app now in the market!

Information from link. Or just head to the market and search "Real HDMI". Finally proper use of the HDMI port!
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

Bought it. Now I need monoprice to get some micro hdmi cords in stock to try it out.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

YES! Time to go get a HDMI cable.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom

Is there a video of this working? I saw the first two videos he had, but is there one of the actual app on the market working?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'd say go ask on the link I provided. Seems to be working for me, although I haven't tried to watch a movie or anything yet.

I bought cuz you bought it lol i don't know what it is or does but ill fig it out lol

Spent a solid 30 minutes testing it out and I gotta say, it works. It's a bit buggy, and on 2.2 if you enable HDMI out and then press the back key to exit to the home-screen you get a force close. It seems to FC a lot... These force closes are intended. They're fail safes so that you never get stuck in HDMI out only and can't use your phone without a battery pull.

Simple workaround is to just press the Home button.

I also noticed colors are greatly washed out. Very bright.

As for screen scaling, it only outputs the resolution of the display. This means, 854x480. So if you try and set it to 1280x720p @60hz you end up with a little rectangle in your screen. If you set it to 640x480 you get full scale top to bottom, however you miss out on approx 214 pixels width wise. So 107 pixels are cut off from left side and then another 107 pixels cut off from the right side.

Not too sure what else can be done about this however I do want to say one thing. When you play emulators, set them to "scaled." This takes the original 320x240 resolution image and scales it up to 640x480, fitting your screen perfectly. So for the sake of playing Sega, NES and Gameboy games 480p is the perfect setting. For using the phone normally, you have to stick with 720p and the black bars along the top and sides (because it is rendering a 854x480 resolution image in a 1280x720 resolution window so to speak)

Otherwise it works great and I am one happy customer. This app can only get better from here fellas. This is what we Droid X owners deserved from Motorola from day 1. Let's all thank this amazing programmer for unlocking such a critical aspect of our phones for us by supporting him and buying this app. Every X owner should have a copy of this app.
    Last edited by DaRkL3AD3R; 08-29-2010 at 06:07 PM.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have an HDMI cable for the X, and have used it to view my photos on my HDTV, and it worked. What else could I use it for? I don't play games other than a few card games on my X.
    I also have not tried to get movies on it. Maybe view videos?
    Droid Charge
    There is nothing constant but change.

Ditto. What does it do?

It lets you send whatever video and audio you see on your phone to your TV/Monitor.

Scenario:

You have a 60" HDTV with an HDMI port and a micro-HDMI cable for your phone.

You have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo.

You hook up phone to TV and bluetooth keyboard and mouse to phone.

You get this app and now you can sit on your couch, browse Youtube, read email, play games or watch movies... all from your phone...

This app when put in the right hands turns your phone into a pocket sized PC.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    ROM
    STOCK

Does the screen on the phone dissapear when you hook up? How do you know where to touch when the cable is hooked up.

cant wait to get this going with NESoid and WiimoteControl.

Quote Originally Posted by albokay View Post
    Does the screen on the phone dissapear when you hook up? How do you know where to touch when the cable is hooked up.

cant wait to get this going with NESoid and WiimoteControl.
    The screen sits showing the last frame before it kicked over to HDMI, so navigating the menu's via touch screen is hit or miss, its a guessing game. I am quite good at it but its a matter of knowing the feel of your phone to use it via touch.

NESoid and Wiimote Controller IME is amazing. I gotta say, hooking it up to an HDTV and then sitting back and playing games on the big screen off my phone is pretty much a dream come true

Awesome...going to try this with the NFL mobile app

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

Quote Originally Posted by largeselection View Post
    Awesome...going to try this with the NFL mobile app
    THIS IS WHAT I WAS HOPING FOR!!!

So what your saying is if i had a hdmi cable which i ordered i can play whatever site video basically what's on this screen goes on tv screen right?? I hope so i bought it im a pawn star lolol haha

On mine, anytime a actual video starts to play, wether its youtube, gallery, or my sling app, it bumps the hdmi off. It will show these apps on the tv right up to the point video starts. This app needs alot of work!

Ok, i got it to work with a couple of reboots. The sling app does work, but picture quality is bad. i think thats because the sling app keeps bandwidth low which in-turn effects picture quality. And u end up only utilizing abot 2/3rds of the screen which is designned into the x for some reason, not the apps fault....

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

The app looks like it has a lot of promise, this is why I love Android - Jobs would have personally killed it from Apple's store. Hopefully they can mirror the displays eventually (does the VNC Server app do this?), but I don't know if it's possible to upconvert things to 720p. Perhaps Gingerbread has this capability?
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    It lets you send whatever video and audio you see on your phone to your TV/Monitor.

Scenario:

You have a 60" HDTV with an HDMI port and a micro-HDMI cable for your phone.

You have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo.

You hook up phone to TV and bluetooth keyboard and mouse to phone.

You get this app and now you can sit on your couch, browse Youtube, read email, play games or watch movies... all from your phone...

This app when put in the right hands turns your phone into a pocket sized PC.
    That's all great but if I'm in front of a 60" tv I'm probably at home, where my PC is.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Scenarios for my are multiple, and not always fancy. I could be at my parents and want to show off not just videos of their granddaughter from my phone's native media, but from you-tube or other sources as well over the internet - sure, I could also have them watch it on a laptop, but a TV is better. Or later one of the kids wants to watch a movie while the adults are doing boring adult stuff; if there aren't any good movies in house or on TV (or heck, if the DVD/VCR/Blu-ray player isn't hooked up) I can play one of the standbyes from my phone on their tv; sure, it's not as good as the big-screen Blu-ray driven home theater at my house, but it gets the job done.

It's the flexibility I want; to be able to use the phone to make better use of the media I've purchased or have created but stored off phone. It makes the HDMI port back into the strong selling point it was for me when I was researching the phone.

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Some things to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by ottscay View Post
    ...from you-tube or other sources as well over the internet - sure, I could also have them watch it on a laptop, but a TV is better.
    True, but a laptop or netbook connected to a TV is even better still if it's available. The HDMI out using this app is apparently a weird 480p equal to the screen resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by ottscay View Post
    Or later one of the kids wants to watch a movie while the adults are doing boring adult stuff; if there aren't any good movies in house or on TV (or heck, if the DVD/VCR/Blu-ray player isn't hooked up) I can play one of the standbyes from my phone on their tv; sure, it's not as good as the big-screen Blu-ray driven home theater at my house, but it gets the job done.
    Depending on what you mean by this you may be able to do it today better. Any non-DRM protected media can be played through the HDMI port at 720p today. Of course if you're talking about the Blockbuster app or another streaming source that's another story (but see note above regarding the laptop).

Not to take anything away from this app, it seems like a great start and when I've got the time I'll play with it, but I'm hoping for better API support from Motorola and/or Android (for example, better multiple-monitor support) to give it some real teeth.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbayoo View Post
    That's all great but if I'm in front of a 60" tv I'm probably at home, where my PC is.
    Its not about being home. Its about portability. If the only place you have access to hdmi is home then why buy an hdmi cable in the first place? You likely wouldn't, so clearly you have no use for this amazing app. Also if I have to explain the benefits of this then you probably don't even know enough about the device to care about it either.

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    ROM
    Always changing

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbayoo View Post
    True but if the NFL app will stream live games you could watch them on your 60 inch tv instead of watching the play by play on a computer. This would be great for games that are not on TV and a lot cheaper then the direct tv football package.

Now if you do not watch football then this would not apply to you but maybe something in the future that you do like would be available.

Quote Originally Posted by dubge View Post
    True but if the NFL app will stream live games you could watch them on your 60 inch tv instead of watching the play by play on a computer. This would be great for games that are not on TV and a lot cheaper then the direct tv football package.

Now if you do not watch football then this would not apply to you but maybe something in the future that you do like would be available.
    that is exactly why I want to use it. It will save me $10 a month so I don't have to upgrade my cable package to get the actual NFL RedZone Channel

Bah, DL'ed the app now need a cable-
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast