What exactly are the differences between 2.1 and froyo 2.2

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I just activated my droid x from a droid 2. They seen totally identical to me. What's missing in 2.1??

I do notice that the droid 2 seemed to "flow" better as far as transitions between screens and especially not as laggy when sliding to unlock the screen.

Aug 28, 2010
www.vital.podomatic.com
I just activated my droid x from a droid 2. They seen totally identical to me. What's missing in 2.1??

I do notice that the droid 2 seemed to "flow" better as far as transitions between screens and especially not as laggy when sliding to unlock the screen.
I just recently upgraded from my o.g. Droid to the X, and my o.g. had received it's 2.2 upgrade days before I got my X so I got to play with Froyo a bit.

There are a number of differences, and correct me if I'm wrong here guys but the differences may be even greater on the X as it isn't the same device as the o.g. Droid.

First, I noticed call logs are handled differently. Multiple calls from the same contact in the same day are now "threaded" or grouped together, making them easier to locate. Second, when utilizing the search button (magnifying glass), you can click on the Google "G" and change it to Wikipedia or a few other options. Third, and one of the biggest, the option to make Flash media available is only possible on 2.2. Lastly, everything was indeed much snappier and loaded faster for scrolling. App page moved swiftly, browser loaded pages faster, gallery took less time to generate images.

There are quite a few more, but I just woke up and the coffee is still brewing.

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
there's quite a few changes, but the majority of changes in 2.2 are under the hood, the UI for the most part will look the same (especially with the stock moto launcher, they're made to look the same)

the JIT compiler, flash, apps on the SD card are some of the big features.

Aug 28, 2010
www.vital.podomatic.com
Oh yeah, totally spaced apps on the SD card! That was a big one for my original Droid, but its not such a big deal with the X since it comes with 8 gigs of app space. Plus, I noticed that apps which utilize a data connection (online games & such) don't run as quickly when stashed on the SD. Might be better on X, though.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
personally, i'm more excited about 3.0 as that will have a bigger impact on the UI and visuals, especially since the guy in charge of webOS now works for google (iirc).

android apps have come a long way, but they could still use a little kick in the visual department. :)

rooktdphi

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
did they change the way that the photo gallery is sorted? can you view picasa photos in the gallery like you can in the OGD?

theanswer3

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I just recently upgraded from my o.g. Droid to the X, and my o.g. had received it's 2.2 upgrade days before I got my X so I got to play with Froyo a bit.

First, I noticed call logs are handled differently. Multiple calls from the same contact in the same day are now "threaded" or grouped together, making them easier to locate.

There are quite a few more, but I just woke up and the coffee is still brewing.

On my droid x with 2.2 I DO NOT get the threaded call log. does your droid x with froyo have this functionality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000