picked up a droid x today, goodbye Storm

wakebrdr94

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
So I picked up an DX today and in the first 10 mins of playing with this phone, what was I ever thinking staying with the storm. Perhaps I shouldn't even compare the phone as I'm sure it has been here more times than anybody can count, but they don't compare in the least. berries to oranges. Anyway, read a few posts and this seems like a good place for info.

First question, where can I find info for Rooting as I would like to tether this thing. Any help would be great. Thanks

wakebrdr94

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
so maybe I shoot look at the pros and cons to rooting? Coming from the BB, I was always trying every leak, teak, etc. no so comfy with this phone yet, but I'll ease into it. Thanks for the tips

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
the only cons are you have the potential to mess up your phone if you go crazy and start changing / deleting things you shouldn't.

it's [messing up royally] not super easy to do, and you research stuff before doing it, you'll be fine.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Welcome! There are a lot of us ex-stormers. Rooting is a blast. Better battery life on stock for me. I Will root again I'm sure.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I was one of the asses on line 11/21/2008 to jump on the Storm after leaving a Treo 700w.

Love The X

I also bought mine on day 1. I was happy with it for awile but this is so much better. Rim will never get me back.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i had one at launch too. 7 different phones later (2 blackberry's, 4 androids and a winmo) i'm liking my x most of all.

the only time i missed my bb (not the storm though, i missed my tour) was when i was overseas and couldn't use my droid. plus bbm, i'll always miss bbm a little.

harley99fb

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So I picked up an DX today and in the first 10 mins of playing with this phone, what was I ever thinking staying with the storm. Perhaps I shouldn't even compare the phone as I'm sure it has been here more times than anybody can count, but they don't compare in the least. berries to oranges. Anyway, read a few posts and this seems like a good place for info.

First question, where can I find info for Rooting as I would like to tether this thing. Any help would be great. Thanks

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm new to smartphones. Can someone please explain what rooting and tethering is?

Thanks

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Please excuse my ignorance but I'm new to smartphones. Can someone please explain what rooting and tethering is?

Thanks

rooting---accessing more advanced operations of the phone's OS. "Rooting" an adroid os gives "superuser" (su) access to internal operations and programming functions

tethering---connecting your phone to your computer either through a usb cable or bluetooth to enable one to use a internet capable phone as an internet "source" for the computer. essentially granting internet access on a computer from anywhere

hossberry

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Everyone who switches say's the same thing
I have converted so many people over form other phones to the droids i should be getting a commission lol

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree - the DX so far excels the BlackBerry line that even proposed improvements to BBs can't come close to what is available right now on the X. Absolutely LOVE it!

I felt guilty leaving the BB clan for all of 10 seconds - the amount of time to power on my new X. After that, it was all "Wow!"

TurboCam

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I am a storm to DX user also......great upgrade!

BBM is a loss, but as the add says "Droid Does." and it is so true, there is just so much more that this phone "does." Blackberry is just weak sauce!

Droidxnh

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I came storm 1 myself, and was amazed at just how easy the switch was. I also love the apps! after I saw the torch and os 6.0 it was a done deal...

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Droidxnh, while I haven't received mine yet, I too saw the Torch and OS 6.0 and began to be turned off. Then I found out that Storm 2 users would be left out of the OS 6.0 frenzy, forsaken by the OS gods! So I decided to look at the Droid X and was mostly pleased with what I saw and how it felt in my hand. Now I'm just waiting patiently for its arrival and dreaming about it before it does. (Really I did have a dream about it, it was crazy!!)

harryj

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Yet another original Storm 1 user here from Nov '08... Also tried every new hybrid available to try to make it descent.

I just ordered the X
Very much looking forward to Android.

A tad concerned that I do see a lot of folks complaining about issues with the X.

Wondering if I should consider the Incredible while I still can?

I was not at all put off by the size of the X, I kinna liked it for the brief time I had testing it. I liked that the keyboard seemed a tad more spacious.

Also very much a tweaker here, so I don't judge products based on stock settings and choices. I understand the X can be rooted, yet there are still limitations... until that bridge is crossed... hopefully

Just seems like folks are more vocal about some issues with the X vs the Incredible?

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
There is some OS quirkyness that people need to get used to (just as any os has including Jesus OS for the Jesus phone ), but when it comes to hardware issues you have to remember that the more people buy it the problem will be seen. The fact that a months in only 1 or 2 threads on the first page are related to a true phone issue should be pretty reassuring.

There are bugs like the stuck GPS. That if you don't want to deal with you should wait till its fixed, but that's the cost of getting a phone so close to release. But these do seem to be software related so we they should end up getting fixed in future updates.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yet another original Storm 1 user here from Nov '08... Also tried every new hybrid available to try to make it descent.

I just ordered the X
Very much looking forward to Android.

A tad concerned that I do see a lot of folks complaining about issues with the X.

Wondering if I should consider the Incredible while I still can?

I was not at all put off by the size of the X, I kinna liked it for the brief time I had testing it. I liked that the keyboard seemed a tad more spacious.

Also very much a tweaker here, so I don't judge products based on stock settings and choices. I understand the X can be rooted, yet there are still limitations... until that bridge is crossed... hopefully

Just seems like folks are more vocal about some issues with the X vs the Incredible?

The INC is a really nice phone. If you look at battery results and test however you will be disappointed. The Droid X even with the larger screen trumps the DINC.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome