Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Talking picked up a droid x today, goodbye Storm

So I picked up an DX today and in the first 10 mins of playing with this phone, what was I ever thinking staying with the storm. Perhaps I shouldn't even compare the phone as I'm sure it has been here more times than anybody can count, but they don't compare in the least. berries to oranges. Anyway, read a few posts and this seems like a good place for info.

First question, where can I find info for Rooting as I would like to tether this thing. Any help would be great. Thanks

Here you go:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...ally-easy.html

Piece of cake. The whole thing takes less than 10 minutes.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

PDANet and you don't have to root. In fact I think there are a couple of other programs to use if you don't want to root.
    Jiggy's sporting a Droid X!

Ordered 8/6 the first time. Order never happened.
    Re-ordered 8/23. Drop Dead ship date is Sept 7th.
    Notified 9/1 that it's on the way... 9/3 by 7:00pm.
    Delivered 9/3 at 2:43!!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

so maybe I shoot look at the pros and cons to rooting? Coming from the BB, I was always trying every leak, teak, etc. no so comfy with this phone yet, but I'll ease into it. Thanks for the tips

the only cons are you have the potential to mess up your phone if you go crazy and start changing / deleting things you shouldn't.

it's [messing up royally] not super easy to do, and you research stuff before doing it, you'll be fine.

Default Re: picked up a droid x today, goodbye Storm

Welcome! There are a lot of us ex-stormers. Rooting is a blast. Better battery life on stock for me. I Will root again I'm sure.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I had my storm from day one... I like the droid and I appreciate my storm. love the X I mean

I was one of the asses on line 11/21/2008 to jump on the Storm after leaving a Treo 700w.

Love The X

Default Re: picked up a droid x today, goodbye Storm

Quote Originally Posted by U2XM202 View Post
    I was one of the asses on line 11/21/2008 to jump on the Storm after leaving a Treo 700w.

Love The X
    I also bought mine on day 1. I was happy with it for awile but this is so much better. Rim will never get me back.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

i had one at launch too. 7 different phones later (2 blackberry's, 4 androids and a winmo) i'm liking my x most of all.

the only time i missed my bb (not the storm though, i missed my tour) was when i was overseas and couldn't use my droid. plus bbm, i'll always miss bbm a little.

Quote Originally Posted by wakebrdr94 View Post
    So I picked up an DX today and in the first 10 mins of playing with this phone, what was I ever thinking staying with the storm. Perhaps I shouldn't even compare the phone as I'm sure it has been here more times than anybody can count, but they don't compare in the least. berries to oranges. Anyway, read a few posts and this seems like a good place for info.

First question, where can I find info for Rooting as I would like to tether this thing. Any help would be great. Thanks
    Please excuse my ignorance but I'm new to smartphones. Can someone please explain what rooting and tethering is?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by harley99fb View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance but I'm new to smartphones. Can someone please explain what rooting and tethering is?

Thanks
    rooting---accessing more advanced operations of the phone's OS. "Rooting" an adroid os gives "superuser" (su) access to internal operations and programming functions

tethering---connecting your phone to your computer either through a usb cable or bluetooth to enable one to use a internet capable phone as an internet "source" for the computer. essentially granting internet access on a computer from anywhere
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Everyone who switches say's the same thing
    I have converted so many people over form other phones to the droids i should be getting a commission lol
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

I agree - the DX so far excels the BlackBerry line that even proposed improvements to BBs can't come close to what is available right now on the X. Absolutely LOVE it!

I felt guilty leaving the BB clan for all of 10 seconds - the amount of time to power on my new X. After that, it was all "Wow!"
    Always learning ...

I am a storm to DX user also......great upgrade!

BBM is a loss, but as the add says "Droid Does." and it is so true, there is just so much more that this phone "does." Blackberry is just weak sauce!

I came storm 1 myself, and was amazed at just how easy the switch was. I also love the apps! after I saw the torch and os 6.0 it was a done deal...

Droidxnh, while I haven't received mine yet, I too saw the Torch and OS 6.0 and began to be turned off. Then I found out that Storm 2 users would be left out of the OS 6.0 frenzy, forsaken by the OS gods! So I decided to look at the Droid X and was mostly pleased with what I saw and how it felt in my hand. Now I'm just waiting patiently for its arrival and dreaming about it before it does. (Really I did have a dream about it, it was crazy!!)

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Yet another original Storm 1 user here from Nov '08... Also tried every new hybrid available to try to make it descent.

I just ordered the X
    Very much looking forward to Android.

A tad concerned that I do see a lot of folks complaining about issues with the X.

Wondering if I should consider the Incredible while I still can?

I was not at all put off by the size of the X, I kinna liked it for the brief time I had testing it. I liked that the keyboard seemed a tad more spacious.

Also very much a tweaker here, so I don't judge products based on stock settings and choices. I understand the X can be rooted, yet there are still limitations... until that bridge is crossed... hopefully

Just seems like folks are more vocal about some issues with the X vs the Incredible?

There is some OS quirkyness that people need to get used to (just as any os has including Jesus OS for the Jesus phone ), but when it comes to hardware issues you have to remember that the more people buy it the problem will be seen. The fact that a months in only 1 or 2 threads on the first page are related to a true phone issue should be pretty reassuring.

There are bugs like the stuck GPS. That if you don't want to deal with you should wait till its fixed, but that's the cost of getting a phone so close to release. But these do seem to be software related so we they should end up getting fixed in future updates.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Quote Originally Posted by harryj View Post
    Yet another original Storm 1 user here from Nov '08... Also tried every new hybrid available to try to make it descent.

I just ordered the X
    Very much looking forward to Android.

A tad concerned that I do see a lot of folks complaining about issues with the X.

Wondering if I should consider the Incredible while I still can?

I was not at all put off by the size of the X, I kinna liked it for the brief time I had testing it. I liked that the keyboard seemed a tad more spacious.

Also very much a tweaker here, so I don't judge products based on stock settings and choices. I understand the X can be rooted, yet there are still limitations... until that bridge is crossed... hopefully

Just seems like folks are more vocal about some issues with the X vs the Incredible?
    The INC is a really nice phone. If you look at battery results and test however you will be disappointed. The Droid X even with the larger screen trumps the DINC.
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

It gets so numbing when comparing features :-)
    I realize that coming from the Storm, It will be a great relief to get just about anything at this point.

I just don't ever want to feel "stuck" again after making an awful choice.

I jumped on the Storm quickly in the hopes that firmware upgrades would fix all issues... well that came to a screeching halt

unless the x feels too big for you, or you REALLY like the senseUI over blur, the x is hands down a better phone. (i've owned both)

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts

I ordered my Curve the same week the Storm 1 was released, and after following the buzz on Crackberry, I was glad that I chose to stick with the Curve. I actually liked the Curve a lot, and it was a very faithful phone.

But the X is so much better in every way IMO that I can't bring myself to miss BB.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

I swaped my Storm for the X also. Love it!!!

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

It seems the like most common buyer of the Droid X is the former Storm-er. I, too, was one. Boy am I glad I'm switched. Congrats on the new phone =D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast