Shutting off the noise on restart

haldroidx

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to make the Droid X restart silently? My phone restarts itself spontaneously from time to time, sometimes in the middle of the night. That's a separate problem in itself, but be that as it may, I'd really like it not to wake me up when it does so. (No, I don't want to turn the sound off when I go to sleep. I expect to be reachable in emergencies and to be able to use it as an alarm clock and for my appointment reminders to keep me from oversleeping.)

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
You might want to ask that question in this thread. This would fall under ROMs and hacks

I would just like to say I disagree a little, it's not like we are changing how the phone runs or anything, just changing 1 setting, so putting this under roms and hacks seems a little excessive.

haldroidx

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Its a notification, so.... i don't think so, you could just change your notifications to something quieter that won't wake you up.

Understood that it's a notification, but other features, like mail, let me specify whether I want an audible notification, so I thought there might be a way to say, "Don't notify me on start-up."

Aggie12

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I would just like to say I disagree a little, it's not like we are changing how the phone runs or anything, just changing 1 setting, so putting this under roms and hacks seems a little excessive.

Well seeing as how there is a thread in there describing ways to change your boot animation I would assume the best place to ask how to disable your boot anim sound is in a thread already talking about it. That being said we can just agree to disagree. It was just a suggestion. Also, this thread over at xda has a lot of people changing their bootanimation.zip and a lot aren't getting sound to work with it. That would solve OPs problem if he doesn't mind a different bootanim.

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Understood that it's a notification, but other features, like mail, let me specify whether I want an audible notification, so I thought there might be a way to say, "Don't notify me on start-up."

Maybe there is a setting, because it does that upon mounting the SD card, so if you can find a way to stop that from going off, nice, personally i don?t know.

Aggie12

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
is he talking about the boot sound or the mounting of the sd card sound. these are totally different and the latter is easily changed as pointed out above.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
To answer the question the OP asked:

This only works if you are rooted. You need to rename /system/media/bootup.ogg to something like bootup.bak

this will prevent the "droiiiid" sound from playing when you boot your phone. Please search for how to root if you don't know how. It's all over the place.

Aggie12

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
To answer the question the OP asked:

This only works if you are rooted. You need to rename /system/media/bootup.ogg to something like bootup.bak

this will prevent the "droiiiid" sound from playing when you boot your phone. Please search for how to root if you don't know how. It's all over the place.

definitely don't have bootup.ogg anywhere

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Ya. I don't have the "Drooooid" startup sound, but I can't remember where I turned it off. It's in the settings somewhere. And, I'm not rooted.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Root explorer open scroll to system then scorll to media click its there. That's where it should be unless u changed your system.
I have a DX. Have root explorer. Did a search for that and followed your file path and nothing.

Aggie12

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
yes. I know where it should be. I don't know how else to convey to you guys that I DON'T HAVE BOOTUP.OGG anywhere. That would explain me not having any bootup sound lol

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
ok good i was going to say that if the file is not there then you will not get the sound.
yes. I know where it should be. I don't know how else to convey to you guys that I DON'T HAVE BOOTUP.OGG anywhere. That would explain me not having any bootup sound lol

Aggie12

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
would it be possible to insert my own sound just convert it from whatever form it's in to .ogg and name it bootup.ogg? and I'm not sure what happened. It made the bootup sound before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37