Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Shutting off the noise on restart

Is there a way to make the Droid X restart silently? My phone restarts itself spontaneously from time to time, sometimes in the middle of the night. That's a separate problem in itself, but be that as it may, I'd really like it not to wake me up when it does so. (No, I don't want to turn the sound off when I go to sleep. I expect to be reachable in emergencies and to be able to use it as an alarm clock and for my appointment reminders to keep me from oversleeping.)

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Its a notification, so.... i don't think so, you could just change your notifications to something quieter that won't wake you up.

You might want to ask that question in this thread. This would fall under ROMs and hacks

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie12 View Post
    You might want to ask that question in this thread. This would fall under ROMs and hacks
    I would just like to say I disagree a little, it's not like we are changing how the phone runs or anything, just changing 1 setting, so putting this under roms and hacks seems a little excessive.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by MolecularGraph View Post
    Its a notification, so.... i don't think so, you could just change your notifications to something quieter that won't wake you up.
    Understood that it's a notification, but other features, like mail, let me specify whether I want an audible notification, so I thought there might be a way to say, "Don't notify me on start-up."

Quote Originally Posted by MolecularGraph View Post
    I would just like to say I disagree a little, it's not like we are changing how the phone runs or anything, just changing 1 setting, so putting this under roms and hacks seems a little excessive.
    Well seeing as how there is a thread in there describing ways to change your boot animation I would assume the best place to ask how to disable your boot anim sound is in a thread already talking about it. That being said we can just agree to disagree. It was just a suggestion. Also, this thread over at xda has a lot of people changing their bootanimation.zip and a lot aren't getting sound to work with it. That would solve OPs problem if he doesn't mind a different bootanim.

ROM
    Swapping them all out

Quote Originally Posted by haldroidx View Post
    Understood that it's a notification, but other features, like mail, let me specify whether I want an audible notification, so I thought there might be a way to say, "Don't notify me on start-up."
    Maybe there is a setting, because it does that upon mounting the SD card, so if you can find a way to stop that from going off, nice, personally i don’t know.

Settings...Sound....SD Card Notifications. Just make sure the box is UNchecked.

is he talking about the boot sound or the mounting of the sd card sound. these are totally different and the latter is easily changed as pointed out above.

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

To answer the question the OP asked:

This only works if you are rooted. You need to rename /system/media/bootup.ogg to something like bootup.bak

this will prevent the "droiiiid" sound from playing when you boot your phone. Please search for how to root if you don't know how. It's all over the place.
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10

Quote Originally Posted by cae2685 View Post
    To answer the question the OP asked:

This only works if you are rooted. You need to rename /system/media/bootup.ogg to something like bootup.bak

this will prevent the "droiiiid" sound from playing when you boot your phone. Please search for how to root if you don't know how. It's all over the place.

definitely don't have bootup.ogg anywhere

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It's there if you have a droid x. It's somewhere else on different phones. Use Root Explorer.
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

Ya. I don't have the "Drooooid" startup sound, but I can't remember where I turned it off. It's in the settings somewhere. And, I'm not rooted.
    Always learning ...

Quote Originally Posted by cae2685 View Post
    It's there if you have a droid x. It's somewhere else on different phones. Use Root Explorer.
    I have a DX. Have root explorer. Did a search for that and followed your file path and nothing.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Root explorer open scroll to system then scorll to media click its there. That's where it should be unless u changed your system.
    I have a DX. Have root explorer. Did a search for that and followed your file path and nothing.

yes. I know where it should be. I don't know how else to convey to you guys that I DON'T HAVE BOOTUP.OGG anywhere. That would explain me not having any bootup sound lol
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

ok good i was going to say that if the file is not there then you will not get the sound.
    yes. I know where it should be. I don't know how else to convey to you guys that I DON'T HAVE BOOTUP.OGG anywhere. That would explain me not having any bootup sound lol
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

would it be possible to insert my own sound just convert it from whatever form it's in to .ogg and name it bootup.ogg? and I'm not sure what happened. It made the bootup sound before.

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

should work AFAIK. If you PM me your email address I'll send you the real one, should you ever decided you want it.
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Default Resolved!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudvayne622 View Post
    That was it! Thanks.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by Arelunde View Post
    Ya. I don't have the "Drooooid" startup sound, but I can't remember where I turned it off. It's in the settings somewhere. And, I'm not rooted.
    Same here, I don't have the robotic "DROID" sound any more, but I don't remember turning it off or learning how to! I guess with the hundreds of things I've had to learn about this device I haven't been able to commit all of them to memory.

Global Posts
    7,776 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I dont have the droid sound either I changed it to another sound. I wouldn't mind having the droid sound just for the startup sound but not for all notifications , but thats why i changed it ,lol

That was it! Thanks.
    Haha... see while the rest of you were arguing, it was a simple setting in the sounds menu. There is no other start up sound on the DX other than the SD Card Notification.

Same here, I don't have the robotic "DROID" sound any more, but I don't remember turning it off or learning how to! I guess with the hundreds of things I've had to learn about this device I haven't been able to commit all of them to memory.
    I never had a DROID sound during start up. The people who do have that used root explorer and added it to the start up. The original boot up sound is just NOTHING, its a soundless file just there so if you want a sound you can make one and overwrite the original.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

I never had a DROID sound during start up. The people who do have that used root explorer and added it to the start up. The original boot up sound is just NOTHING, its a soundless file just there so if you want a sound you can make one and overwrite the original.
    You are mistaken. The default notification from the factory is the "Droid" notification, which you will hear upon boot up if you have sd card notifications enabled. This fact has already been acknowledged in this thread and is true.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast