Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question turn off data and/or sync at night?

Any good apps that have a timer to turn off 3g/data at night.
    I want phone calls, just not email updates.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Just use the battery manager included in the OS.
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts

Timeriffic, its in the market.

I use Tasker for this very same thing. It is a little more expensive than most apps and has a learning curve but it can do some AMAZING things!

Actually I have my data off all the time when my screen is off except for twice an hour when Tasker enables it and checks for emails and stuff. Also Tasker automatically enables my data when my phone screen is on. This makes my battery last MUCH longer.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    Just use the battery manager included in the OS.
    That only works when its not charging

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHatz View Post
    I use Tasker for this very same thing. It is a little more expensive than most apps and has a learning curve but it can do some AMAZING things!

Actually I have my data off all the time when my screen is off except for twice an hour when Tasker enables it and checks for emails and stuff. Also Tasker automatically enables my data when my phone screen is on. This makes my battery last MUCH longer.
    Thats rather brilliant...provided you don't plan on receiving any time sensitive emails. Does it come back to life quickly enough when the screen comes back on?

Quote Originally Posted by hyperlite View Post
    Thats rather brilliant...provided you don't plan on receiving any time sensitive emails. Does it come back to life quickly enough when the screen comes back on?
    MOST of the time it comes back before I even have the screen unlocked. But occasionally I have to wait a minute for it to connect. Doesn't do it often enough to bother me though.
    Thanked by:
    tdrus1 

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHatz View Post

I am trying to do something like this, but I am confusing myself with what is the easiest way to set it up. Did you just set up a single task with a higher priority than your display off, with repeat time period that turns the data on and off?

What about other apps that are looking for a data connection like auto sync and email collection? Will they continually try to connect and drain the battery? I use K9 mail, and I'm considering buying Locale too, so I can use the K9 mail plugin to specify mail check during data on times. I am concerned about what other apps try to make data connections while the phone is off that might keep the phone awake searching for a connection.

Default Sleepy Timer

Check out Sleepy Timer - Pro Edition. It doesn't disable 3G, but essentially puts you into airplane mode, or disables wifi bluetooth or audio. It can be used as a simple count down timer too.

ROM
    Liquid Smooth JB Beta 2

Juice Defender. Ultimate or even regular. You can set it to different profiles when you want the most out of your battery. I have Ultimate and I am impressed. Im on the GG 3500mah battery so IDK about stock batts
    Yea, I'm still rockin' a Gnex. The signal strength/quality sucks, but hey, it's not two years old yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyboy357 View Post
    Juice Defender. Ultimate or even regular. You can set it to different profiles when you want the most out of your battery. I have Ultimate and I am impressed. Im on the GG 3500mah battery so IDK about stock batts
    +1 for Juice Defender. Works Incredible and you can make data turn off when backlight is off after a few minutes but leaves phone one and also you can pick specific app to still access data when it was turned off.

I love it, best find.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

+2 for Tasker... (have it on my DROIDX and Xoom)

I use it for that plus a Lot more

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Default Re: turn off data and/or sync at night?

+1 to Juice defender Ultimate. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by midnight oil View Post
    I am trying to do something like this, but I am confusing myself with what is the easiest way to set it up. Did you just set up a single task with a higher priority than your display off, with repeat time period that turns the data on and off?
    Yeah dukehatz do you mind sharing how you have the tasker profile set? It sounds pretty sweet..

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    ROM
    GPE 4.4.2 TiKTaC ROM

Default Re: turn off data and/or sync at night?

I had this problem when I first bought my Droid X coming from a BB Storm 2. I end up getting an app called Bedside (Night Clock) from Daniel Velazco. Basically what it does is only allow the phone ringer to be herd at night, and wont let any notification or emails sounds to play. On my Blackberry I had the stock "bedside mode" and when I plugged it in, it automatically did this for me. With my Droid X I just plug the phone in, and when I'm ready to go to sleep for the night I click the button and no more noise. Instead of turning data off, I never hear that I received them, and they are waiting for me in the AM. They do have an automatic setting as well, but I like to just turn it on when I'm done playing around for the night.

It has good customization and has served me well. If I understand your request then I think this is what your looking for.

EDIT - Just realized that OP may have ditched Android's all together, but hopefully someone else can use that information. I didn't see the older date since it had been dug up in the last few days.
    Last edited by Ahowe125; 08-06-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    | 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on NuSenseOne-Kitkat RC-1.4 |
    | 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4.2 |
    | Jet Black Pebble Smart Watch (Red Slickwrap) - Official SDK 2.0.13 |