Right. So. Stock Droid X is nice.

Faulk_Wulf

May 16, 2010
Visit site
(There's a TL;DR near the bottom. This starts with me just spout about my phone for a bit.)

Maybe I'm missing something, but I find that the way the Droid came from the factory is nice. Yes, I have dozens of Apps, but none of them are UI Apps, and very few are productivity apps. And even fewer are social networking apps.

I find the social networking widgets and programs that come with the X to be more then sufficient. (Though I did get Handcent, I use the basic Android look with it.) I will be getting BlindType when it's finally released, if only to get rid of that thing where symbols go right next to the last typed word instead of where ever your cursor is. I think Voice is about the only major thing I have that changes a key functionality of my phone honestly from stock. It's so nice to never have to dial a number to get to your messages. They're just there. Even if the transcription fails, as it often does, all you have to do is hit play. Perfect.

Other than that though, I have used pretty much every widget, or feature. GPS, Maps, Sticky Notes, Social Networking. Blah blah blah blah AT ANYRATE. Am I missing something? I hear all the talk about all these launchers, and these roms and such and replacement browsers but...

The default OS seems fine, the only real bloat-ware I haven't made use of is Blockbuster because I have Netflix. And a Redbox or 3 nearby. The default browser? I don't really need tabs. I can flip between multiple windows in a breeze, my bookmarks are visual and can be cycled through with a flip of the finger. Flash will be coming with 2.2 in a few weeks. Music? Radio? Video? Pictures? I mean I had all my photos in a highly structured folder system (which I'll retain for ease of browsing from my computer) but the X just... finds everything. And with tags? I asked about an app to do that while i was waiting for my phone to ship, unaware IT ALREADY DOES THIS.

(THIS COUNTS AS THE TL;DR PART)
And that's it really, if there's a question here it is this: Am I missing something by not being rooted? If/when the X can run custom roms what does Cyanogen / Sapphire / Rom ## offer that I need/wtfe?

EDIT: I forgot that I wanted to ask: Is there a way to make my home screens go to landscape mode? I use it more horizontally than vertically.

PS - I use the Trillian beta and it renders all my ' as ' Can this currently be fixed? It's really frickin' annoying. Well. To my contacts. It renders fine for me. I assume it's just the font being used, but I can't find how to change it. Also, I hated Pigin, so yeah. (I log onto MSN, Yahoo and G-Talk with Trillian. If anything could connect to Steam, that would be nice. I don't use AIM... or anything else actually.)

So if I need to be educated, please begin now.

Last edited:

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I use launcher pro, but my fiancee uses stock. Sometimes when I do stuff on her phone, I am tempted to switch back (even though I bought plus). It's generally smoother and faster. Lp is buggy and sometimes very slow for me. I use the moto social widget and news feed, I think lp doesn't like them.
Anyway, I can't stand the thought of not hiding my status bar. But other than that, yeah I'm with you, stock is kind of nice. I haven't found a compelling reason to root yet, although I am interested in some of the things it would allow, performance issues mostly. If it's working for you, I say leave it. Read some of the hacks and roms threads, lots of good info and good, smart folk in there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
ADW Launcher is another home replacement that will allow you to quickly hide and un-hide the status bar. Swipe up on any home screen and it goes away, swipe up again and it's back.

These are quick-action short cuts built into ADW that are customizable. I really like being able to hide it when I don't need it.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Browsers.

There are other reasons for switching browsers. Opera is what I use. It renders a page faster than the stock browser. Dolphin HD is another good one. Try them and remove if you don't like, but I imagine you'll like one.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I really like ADW and used it on my D1 and it made switching to the X a breeze! As for browsers, I did really like dolphin HD but one of the updates added something that kept making the screen swipe to the side or something like that. I did like how you could hit the menu and close out the browser

Sfed

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
This is probably a bit off topic, but after reading this thread I installed ADW to have the landscape rotation. For the life of me I cannot figure out what the button next to the one that brings up all the apps is for and when I press it nothing happens. It looks like it says IAB or LAB. What is its purpose? Thanks.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I am pretty sure you can drag an app icon there but you might have to enable it in the ADW settings, it also might be to switch screens left or right

green

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
If I'm buying a phone, it has to be good at stock. I don't buy a phone intending to make it good by hacking it. It has to be good out of the box. And the X is definitely good out of the box. I haven't even rooted it yet and only have LP running on it and it's great.

Sfed

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I did see that it is LAB for Left Action Button and you are correct, you drag whatever you want that to launch. Appreciate the help.

Jigmeister

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I use ADW. My favorite aspect is when I hit the "home" button it pops up all screens and I can just touch the one I want. Everything else is nice - but that's my favorite feature so far. LOL!

Faulk_Wulf

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I installed ADW because like people said: it's free and easy to remove. It wiped my homescreens, which made sense in hind site but I forgot what I had where. I decided it couldn't have been that important.

I love it for the orientation alone. But there's so much more.