1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Delete Contact Groups in Droid X

On my Droid X, under Contacts, I have a few Groups that were Categories associated with contacts in my associated Exchange/Outlook account. I've been doing some cleanup since getting the phone and removed those categories from the Contacts in Outlook/Exchange. Now, those same category names show up as empty "groups" under Contacts in the Droid X.

Any idea how to get rid of them?

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Delete Contact Groups in Droid X

Try going into your Google Apps or Gmail contacts and see if the groups show up there, and delete them?

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply. I had that thought too, but it didn't work. I also deleted all items from my Exchange trash that had that category associated with it. Then I added categories to two other contacts in Outlook. Those carried over to the Droid and created groups. Then I deleted these two contacts...one in the phone and one on the PC. Both left another empty group on the phone that won't go away. I'm almost thinking I should delete the Exchange account from the phone and re-add it. I can't think of any reason why that would cause a problem. Still, there's gotta be a designed way to remove groups.

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Delete Contact Groups in Droid X

So I just googled the problem... And linked to this thread from the first page. Fail.

Advice over on androidforums was to just ignore the groups. I'm guessing it can't be done.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for your work on this. Yeah, I pretty much don't post unless I exhaust the Google route.

Good news. I solved my issue! Last night, I removed the category from all contacts in Outlook, then deleted the category entirely. I also removed all the contacts that I had deleted in that category from the Deleted Folder. That of course didn't work, which is why I posted here.

Today, I went into the account settings for the Exchange account in my Droid and unchecked Contacts sync. All the contacts went away, as did the Groups. I then rechecked Contacts sync, and all the contacts repopulated, but the problematic groups stayed away! Hooray!

What other thread at androidforums did you see? I'd like to be able to help others, so there should be a link to this thread from that one!

Steve
    Thanked by 2:

I was getting nowhere fast and was really annoyed with my deleted yahoo contact lists appearing on my phone....your solution worked great! Thanks a ton.

Atrix user here, but landed in this page from Google! Same problem and found a better solution. Download DWP Contact Group Manager. That application allows you to add/change/remove! groups. Worked perfectly for me... My orphan groups where on Exchange of course.

Android Market Link:
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,628 Global Posts

Just an FYI - sometimes you can experience problems with out-of-date and duplicate contact entries and/or mysterious links from the My Verizon backup app. I've found it helps tremendously to delete all the contacts listed on the My Verizon website. It doesn't sync well with Gmail and you will end up with multiple links, many of them wrong or old.
    Always learning ...

Quote Originally Posted by draftpeppin View Post
    Thanks for your work on this. Yeah, I pretty much don't post unless I exhaust the Google route.

Good news. I solved my issue! Last night, I removed the category from all contacts in Outlook, then deleted the category entirely. I also removed all the contacts that I had deleted in that category from the Deleted Folder. That of course didn't work, which is why I posted here.

Today, I went into the account settings for the Exchange account in my Droid and unchecked Contacts sync. All the contacts went away, as did the Groups. I then rechecked Contacts sync, and all the contacts repopulated, but the problematic groups stayed away! Hooray!

What other thread at androidforums did you see? I'd like to be able to help others, so there should be a link to this thread from that one!

Steve
    Ths worked....thanks for the tip