good verizon iphone android article

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Good article. Just as an example, I have been a long time apple user (but not iphone- I've always had verizon) and have never had a device locked down quite as tight as my X. Not that I'm complaining, I wouldn't trade my X for the iphone- but Verizon took open source and bent it over with bloatware and blur.

newob

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Interesting read. Im not sure I agree with El Poblano about the X being so locked down. Its very customizable. And the few bloatware apps dont really do damage. It sucks they're there and 'cant' be deleted but they dont really slow down the device. My old iphone 3g was more locked down than my x in terms of customization, plus it was a turtle jailbroken & unlocked. The X is fast. Very fast. And with all the apps/launchers/widgets and new developments, its a top dawg. F*ck the iphone.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
You can customize the UI and maybe tweak certain things a bit with "roms" but we will never have access to custom kernel modifications. This is a huge issue as this means if Motorola decides to stop updating our phones with the newest version of Android, we are stuck. That to me is a massive lock down, as it forces you to upgrade the phone when Motorola deems it to be done.

On the flipside how long can one possibly expect to keep a phone before something significantly better arrives that will sway you to replacing it anyway? Maybe 1.5 - 2 years? By then I'm sure we'll see a new version of the Droid X that will blow ours away. And so the cycle continues.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
On the flipside how long can one possibly expect to keep a phone before something significantly better arrives that will sway you to replacing it anyway? Maybe 1.5 - 2 years? By then I'm sure we'll see a new version of the Droid X that will blow ours away. And so the cycle continues.

Exactly. LTE will be here soon enough. Most of the people who think they're gonna be holding onto their Droid Xs when LTE Android handsets are hitting the market 1-2 years from now are seriously kidding themselves.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yea I've come to accept the new every 6 month schedule that I'm on haha. Between LTE, 2ghz, and dual core phones coming up I can't see the dx lasting more than a year in my pocket