Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Default Gained a functional phone lost a functional alarm clock

So I am kind of annoyed, because while this thing works good as a phone and seems more stable then the blackberry it replaced. The alarm clock is suddenly causing me issues. Two days in a row now it hasn't worked, today after I was instead woken up by my girlfriends phone I checked mine.

I set it about a minute later and watched it, all it did was vibrate.

Now after it didn't work yesterday I made sure to run the same test last night before I went to bed and it worked last night had alarm go off and display changed to the alarm screen going off screen.

But back to today when the alarm didn't go off during my test out of frustration I pulled the battery. Put it back in tried again and it worked, which from what I have read battery pulls are bad for this thing or are they?

Any idea what the issue could be, I will add that my alarm sound is a ringtone I found on the web that I have saved to the SD Card. Its actually the same one that I had on my blackberry and worked on it just fine. I also have the phone sitting in the media dock, though I didn't have it sitting in it when I ran my test this morning. But the issue does seem similar to what my blackberry used to do from time to time, it was like it lost contact with the SD card but this thing also seems to loose contact with the alarm going off screen as well.

Any ideas, anything sound similar I tired to be as detailed as I can be for early in the morning.

I had the same exact problem. I rebooted and it started working again. The alarm function is junk.

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod10

I have the alarm from beautiful widgets, and it seems to work fine. I'm not sure if it's using the stock clock with just a skin over it, or what. But you may want to check it out.
    HTC Touch Pro>HTC Droid Eris>Moto Droid X>Samsung Focus>HTC Sensation 4G>Nexus 4>Nexus 5
    Your phone will only be the latest and greatest for a few months.

Been using the alarm every morning since release, and mine has never failed to go off and wake me up..............weird.......
    LR7

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

Mine works when it wants to, doesn't when it does't. Needs to be addressed. I think it may be connected to the volume issue discussed in other threads. Moto has said that 2.2 update should fix this.

Default Re: Gained a functional phone lost a functional alarm clock

Are you guys using a task killer? My alarm was being killed by my task killer i ended up deleting it and realizing there was no need for it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Device History:
    Dumb Phone
    Storm1
    Storm2 with every official and leaked OS up to 5.0.0.713
    Currently Using:
    Droid X with 2.1

I have not problems with the stock alarm on my Droid X. I have it set to play a song that I imported from my iTunes library, for a month and half not it has gone off and woke me up to this song.

ROM
    4.1.1 with Sense 4+

My wife and I both have DXes and we've used the alarm without fail. Strange.

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour324 View Post
    Are you guys using a task killer? My alarm was being killed by my task killer i ended up deleting it and realizing there was no need for it

Beat me to it! I was going to mention that the only time I ever had an issue with my alarm not going off, was the brief few days I was running a task killer. I stopped using it, and haven't had an issue since.
    LR7

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by navarro77 View Post
    Beat me to it! I was going to mention that the only time I ever had an issue with my alarm not going off, was the brief few days I was running a task killer. I stopped using it, and haven't had an issue since.
    I do have the task killer and have heard varying opinions on it, mostly that I should get rid of it. I think I am going to run th phone without it for some time and see how that goes.

Default Re: Gained a functional phone lost a functional alarm clock

Give it a shot you can always reinstall it if you personally feel it works

Device History:
    Dumb Phone
    Storm1
    Storm2 with every official and leaked OS up to 5.0.0.713
    Currently Using:
    Droid X with 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by LR_Se7eN View Post
    I do have the task killer and have heard varying opinions on it, mostly that I should get rid of it. I think I am going to run th phone without it for some time and see how that goes.
    All you have to do is add the Alarm Clock to the task manager ignore list... I haven't experienced any issue with using ATK.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

I do have a task killer and the problem did start shortly after I installed it. I can't believe I didn't think of that I usually figure that sort of stuff out.

Anyways I did set the alarm and some of the other what I perceive as basic apps to ignore. I'll try that if it doesn't work I'll just get rid of the app killer as I really don't know what it does or at least can't really see it. I do wish this had a way of showing free memory like the blackberrys do.

And maybe I'm just getting older but does this android os seem less intuitive then blackberry.

Task killers are junk, just say no to them. They will be even worse when the 2.2 update goes OTA in a few days.

I came from a Blackberry and had all sorts of problems initially with the alarm clock. The main one being that my alarm clock would just not go off but also I really liked "bedside mode" on the BB. I thought RIM did that well and it was probably the only thing about the BB that I liked better than my Droid X.
    Here are my 2 solutions that made me 100% happy with the alarm clock.

1. Task Killers are a problem. That was causing my alarm clock to shut down. My rule now, if my phone is unstable I need to find that app that's making it that way and remove it. Task Killers are a band-aid.
    2. Get "Bedside (Night Clock)". It can be configured to act just like "bedside mode" on the BB.

Once I did that I had no more issues with the alarm clock.

My two cents

Quote Originally Posted by chevca View Post
    I do wish this had a way of showing free memory like the blackberrys do.
    Give RamDroid a try. Its free on Market. It can display avalible ram on desktop with a widget.
    Samsung S3
    Time to feel the POWER...