[How-To] Get the OTA download location and share it

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
With the Froyo OTA supposedly soon to show, we want to get this info out to everyone so the URL can be found ASAP and shared.

Install aLogcat:

aLogcat - Logcat Application
by Jeffrey Blattman
10,000 downloads, 433 ratings (4.6 avg)
Free
rating9.png

chart

• When/if you see the notification that you have an update available -- stop everything and run the aLogcat app.
  • Send the log file to yourself via email (that's built into the app)
  • Look through the log file on your computer, searching for a URL
  • Try any URL's that you find on your computer's browser
  • When you find one that downloads a zip file, save the zip file to your computer
  • Shout from the rooftops, and share that URL
  • Then upload and mirror it somewhere
  • Email me: jerry.hildenbrand@androidcentral.com , and we will get you on the front page

As long as you have installed aLogcat, if you get the notification that an update is available and you're confused, holler in the forums for help!

Whatever you do, don't post up the log file you get from aLogcat on the forums -- it's got personal info in it that you don't want to share with the general public! Any AC mods or writers can help you, and I will personally vouch for each of them if you need to send your log file to someone and have nobody else you trust.

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I hope we can install this update from the SD card with the leaked 2.2 already installed

i dont think you will be able to. you will more than likely have to roll back to 2.1 and do the ota upgrade.

some devs may be able to package the update into a zip but it may be a few days

hoarder23

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Racin, Why are you so anti sharing? VZW is notoriously stingy with updates so it would be nice to have options if they hold it up or if Moto's servers get backed up from a million DX users all trying to update at once. Did your kindergarden teacher not teach you about sharing?

hossberry

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
ya ya
share it but first you have to get it

and it looks like that they're not going to share it with us till there damn well ready to

racinwarrior

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Racin, Why are you so anti sharing? VZW is notoriously stingy with updates so it would be nice to have options if they hold it up or if Moto's servers get backed up from a million DX users all trying to update at once. Did your kindergarden teacher not teach you about sharing?

i dont have a problem sharing....

just seems rather unnecessary to get everyone hyped up about downloading apps and sharing personal log files all for nothing.

when the update is announced go into settings, click about phone, click system update and it will be there I promise you.

There will not be a million X users trying to update at once. The only people that know about it are techies like us. Take all of the major droid sites' users who have an X and you may have 10,000. Will all 10,000 users update at once? No.

It will be fine I promise. Calm down and keep your patience.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I always wait couple hours before updating anyways. I let you guys that know a heck of a lot more than me do it, talk about it, inform me about it. Then I know that the update is good to go and I don't screw up my phone.

But I've read the same thing about the DX/D2 pulling the update so it should be easy for anyone to simply click check for updates.

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I always wait couple hours before updating anyways. I let you guys that know a heck of a lot more than me do it, talk about it, inform me about it. Then I know that the update is good to go and I don't screw up my phone.

But I've read the same thing about the DX/D2 pulling the update so it should be easy for anyone to simply click check for updates.

LOL, so I am not the only one using this method ... (and yes, I know there are lots that wait for the smarter guinea pigs to test for us and give us the thumbs up). I just hope I keep root through the update.

trippinbillies40

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I changed my status bar with a new services.jar file and framework-res file. Will I need to return those back to factory for my update to work?

Edit: Put it back just in case.

Last edited: