Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default best way to close windows after browsing ?

i am told just use the back button? does that actually close the browser?

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts

Nope. It will stay running in the background
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ok..thanks , but how do i close it ?
    Rock the X
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Call me crazy or whatever but I open up the "all windows" screen and hit the close button next to any and all open windows when I'm done and then my homepage will automatically open up and I'll just hit the back button once and it'll be all closed.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ok...call me slow...but how exactly do you do that? i have never seen a close button
    Rock the X
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

While in browser, hit the menu button, Windows, and then the minus button next to the window that's open or a red x or whatever it is. I'm on 2.2 so it's a minus button and I can't remember if 2.1 was the same.
    BlackBerry 8330 --> BlackBerry Storm1 --> Motorola Droid --> HTC Droid Incredible & Motorola Droid X & Motorola Xoom
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ok...its an x and it closes all but the last one..i guess thats pretty good...thankyou
    Rock the X
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,258 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJZdroidx View Post
    ok...its an x and it closes all but the last one..i guess thats pretty good...thankyou
    No problem. And that's what I mean about the last one. I just use the back button and back out of that one after I close it and it reopens.
    Thanked by:

Thanks for the info, does anyone know if the X has a task manager that we can pull up to make sure there are not apps running in the background that will drain the battery?

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: best way to close windows after browsing ?

You can download them. You don't need one, though. Android keeps things in memory for faster access, until it needs that memory for something. It does a fantastic job of this. A task manager can, and usually does, cause more problems than it's worth. The task manager trends to kill apps that android puts right back in memory, and you end up wasting processor time and battery life by accomplishing... Almost nothing.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10

Quote Originally Posted by cae2685 View Post
    You can download them. You don't need one, though. Android keeps things in memory for faster access, until it needs that memory for something. It does a fantastic job of this. A task manager can, and usually does, cause more problems than it's worth. The task manager trends to kill apps that android puts right back in memory, and you end up wasting processor time and battery life by accomplishing... Almost nothing.

I never looked at it that way. I was just trying to think of ways to save battery life and could not find any real way to close browser and applications after I open them up.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Default Re: best way to close windows after browsing ?

Very true. When I first got my x, I dloaded a task killer app, and found that it was more of a problem than to let the droid os do is thing

DROID X with Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cae2685 View Post

Automatic task killers are a pain. But I find using Task Manager to kill an annoying app that's using a lot of CPU (and Battery) to be very useful once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by coltsbr View Post
    I never looked at it that way. I was just trying to think of ways to save battery life and could not find any real way to close browser and applications after I open them up.
    Browser web-pages are the least of the worry anyways. The are for all intents and purposes written to disk and not part of your system memory. Nor are they being processed. Android just brings up the state they were in once you switch to them.
    TECHFAN

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

To save battery life by closing down background apps...

Settings > Applications > Manage applications> Menu > filter > running

Long press and "stop" those apps that you KNOW you aren't using, such as downloaded apps. Careful not to close something important to the DX ops.

While in the Applications menu, you can also go into Running Services. Long press on things you don't use (like Facebook or Google Talk, if you don't use them). Again, be careful.

All these will be back again as running if you turn off your X or do a batt pull. Gets to be a pain to repeatedly shut them down, but the difference in battery life is HUGE!
    Always learning ...