Take that, eFuse... It looks like the encrypted bootloader may soon be history.

mikejs78

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It appears that there is a vulnerability in the Droid X that is going to make the cracking of the bootloader only a matter of time. Stephen Bird (aka Mr Birdman) has been tweeting rather cryptic messages regarding his progress over the past few days, and now he linked to this thread: http://androidforums.com/1605106-post38.html

It looks like custom roms/custom kernels are only a matter of time. :). Gotta love the Android hacking community!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

kdkinc

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I believe the E-fuse is really a job interview test.
Who ever "cracks" E-fuse first get I heck of a position a Motorola.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
This is nice, now there's little question that we'll get Honecomb, Ice Cream (or whatever), etc. even after the phone is EOLed.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
We already had ability to load roms. We just couldnt mess with kernals. We just haven't had any cookers to bake us a good rom.

mikejs78

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
A lot of ROM devs were probably holding out because of the lack of ability to customize the kernel. I believe this was the case with Cyanogen.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I believe a lot of the dev's had stated before (in various places) that they refused to dev for the X b/c of Moto's policies.

salanester

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I believe a lot of the dev's had stated before (in various places) that they refused to dev for the X b/c of Moto's policies.

That almost seems counterintuitive to me; I would think that would make the dev's want to figure ways around Moto's 'lockdown' of the X even more. I imagine if (when) they can tinker with the kernel we will see more ROMs.

pstinger

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
IIRC, and I'm not saying I am, the rationale was that it was in protest of Moto's anti-dev community policies. 'Course, that doesn't mean that anyone who DID say that hasn't changed their minds. lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie