Won't Factory Reset

besscastell

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, everyone. I'm new to having an android so bear with me here. I bought a refurbished Droid X off of Amazon, and after having a very fun time trying to get it to charge (took two days to do it), I was finally able to turn the phone on. Then I ran into a problem. The previous owner's data was still on there: accounts, pictures, everything. I didn't want to mess with that, so I decided to do a factory reset. I found instructions how to do that on this forum.

1. Turn the device off.
2. Hold the power and home button until the little android with a triangle and exclamation point come up.
3. Press the volume up and down buttons until the options menu comes up
4. Highlight "wipe data/factory reset".
5. Press the power button to select that option and wait for it to run through.
6. Highlight "reboot system now" when that's done and then press power again.

I've done that literally ten times, but every time the phone has come up with the same settings, apps, accounts, and pictures that were on there when I went in the first time. I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help me? (And please tell me if this has been asked before. I tried searching for it in the forums, but I found nothing that would help me.)

Thanks!

besscastell

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. It boots up just fine but every time I "factory reset", any kind of changes I made (deleted accounts or apps or changed settings) go away and it goes back to the exact same way it was when I unpacked it. It connects to wifi and everything. I don't have it activated on a new number or anything, but I didn't want to do that without erasing the old owner's information.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm stumped. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I don't think I ever heard of a reset replacing deleted data before.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I still hope someone will chime in. There has to be a simple explanation for the phone not deleting the prior owner's data. I just don't know what it is. :confused: I'm sorry I couldn't be of any real help.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

besscastell

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Could the mods close this thread out? I ended up calling the company, and they said to just return it for a refund because it sounded like the phone itself was defective. That's what I'm gonna do, so thanks mrsmumbles for your input, and I'm just gonna return it.

besscastell

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeah me too! I was a bit worried about it, but I've just decided to get the Moto G and be done with it. I've learned my lesson: no more used phones! :p

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
not that it helps now, but if data wipe fails, likely a memory write hardware failure, no way to fix. If phone was properly checked, it would have been obvious, and should not have been sold as working.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Darrin Pearson Jr

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
unfortunately u ended up wit a phone that has been severely tampered with....ive been trying to root my nexus s 4g on the sprint server nd lol idk wat i did but after a while the factory reset meant nothing jus erased some of the downloaded apps...earlier today i saw a video on youtube that wouldve successfully rooted my phone had i jus been a lil more patient but, more or less i ended up wit a phone wit no OS nd no back up data...i kno it doesnt solve your problem but it sheds some light nd maybe gives u a few new topics to search under for...

primerow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Found this on another forum. if recovery screen only goes to dead android with "no command" hold volume button up for 15 seconds, then while holding it, press power button quickly and release it.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
The reason this is happening is that the OP is not doing a factory reset in the first place, they are just thinking they are! Do it properly.

Dylan bryett

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I rooted my phone and then I flashed recovery then it rebooted but then it stay on a black screen and I tried restsetting it in setting but nothing it just comes up with black and I tried hard rest but nothing

bildozer1015

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
I caught this chick in my phone and she was going through it with precision.. I took it from her and it completely rebooted and its acting funny and won't hard reset or factory reset...
CAN YOU HELP ME

bildozer1015

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
caught this chick in my phone and she was going through it with precision.. I took it from her and it completely rebooted and its acting funny and won't hard reset or factory reset...
CAN YOU HELP ME

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674