GPS and Golf Question: Yardage Inconsistency

BigSkyX

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I have tried SkyDroid and some of the free Golf GPS apps and have found that about 1/3 of the time the yardages are way off....like 30 yards. 2/3 they are right on. I have tried different apps while standing on the teebox in the same spot, even on different days, and consistently get wrong yardages. From day to day and app to app one par 3 that is course marked at 132 will read 166 with the GPS. Other places on the course give me the same issues.

Anyone else experience this?

ririder

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I think you have to take GPS at face value. I've never seen a truly accurate GPS system. How many times have you been in a golf cart with the GPS system built in and have 1 yardage and the cart parked right next to you has a different yardage?? It happens all the time with me. I also have SkyDriod installed on my phone. I was playing a couple of weeks ago with a guy that was running a different app on his iphone. Our yardages never matched. Most of the times they were at least 5 yards difference between the two. I know this doesn't help with your problem, but at least you know that you're not the only one. :)

pnd4pnd

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
i agree for golf gps just isnt that accurate. i always use a laser but have golfshot gps to keep score and look at overhead views on courses i havent played. gps is good for layup distances but that's about it.

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Interesting, I use FreeCaddie. The other day a friend had a laser rangefinder and I used my GPS. The numbers were nearly identical. I was impressed.

Question about GolfShot. It's kind of pricey; is it worth it?

BigSkyX

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I have heard many say that 5 yards variation or so is normal. For the most part, it works great and matches within 5 from the sprinkler markings. It is just about 6 or so holes where it is 30 yards off to the green, on several different GPS apps.

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I like the GPS because I'm terrible at guessing distances. It can come in very handy on new courses. On my home course, I know every rock and tree and which club to use intuitively. But, I travel a lot and play many new courses each year. There it is nice to have the yardages.

I've been reviewing full featured programs for golf and would welcome comments. It looks like the leading 3 are: GolfCard Pro, GolfShot and GolfLogix. Their prices vary quite a bit.

Any thoughts on these?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463