What Happened To The JIT Compiler?

Clemsonpablo

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
It's not a "feature" that anyone would notice, its more of a behind the scenes type of thing. Promoting that as one of the changes would probably just confuse people.

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So was it definitely included in this update? I mean, it was one of the big things they talked about when Froyo was first developed. I'm just surprised we haven't seen it anywhere in any of the change logs.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
From what I can recall, the 2.1 OS on the DroidX was a "hybrid" 2.1-2.2, meaning it had most of the 2.2 features, 3G hotspot, 720p video recording, and some parts of JIT.

This is why it scored way higher using 2.1, than all the 2.2 devices before it was even released.

You won't notice hardly any performance increase going from 2.1 to 2.2 on the DX.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
No 2.1 in the x was 2.1 and that's evident by the d2 and dx scoring the same thing with Froyo. The dx got those high scores due to great io times(the memory is fast) had nothing to due with jit if it had jit its linpack scores would have been higher than those the sgs line put out which it wasn't they were close to the same with the sgs slightly higher

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Yep either jit isn't compiled correct for this chipset or this chip doesn't do many calculations per clock. But that small difference is the jit. If you could get up to 1.2 or so you would see about 18mf but this and an oc d1 score about the same thing at the same speed

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Compare scores between 2.1 and 2.2, you'll notice hardly any difference.

That's because JIT doesn't benefit the TI OMAP as much as it does the Snapdragon. It has nothing to do with 2.1 on the DX being some psuedo 2.1.5 build. The above poster is correct. The reason the DX was so fast on 2.1 was due to extremely fast memory. JIT did double the CPU performance, but when we saw other phones getting upwards of 6x performance with JIT, we got shafted and only get about 2x, even less than that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers